• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

My new Gigabyte Master 3080 RMA'D

Soldato
OP
They told me the same but they replaced my 3090 Gaming OC for a new unit and I did not have any problem since then (18 days ago). What you have is extremely similar to the issues I was suffering and it definitely was the GPU. Are they going to replace your card?

Regarding the extension bar question, it should be fine with or without it.

I only received the email at 19:13 so they said they would be intouch , I only ordered it on the 10/2/2021 so its was with me 16 days hopefully its still under the 28 days so I can get it swapped.

Soldato
OP
Got a reply from there RMA person , not very impressed

installed card into system and booted into windows without issues , updated bios on card(i did this prior to sending back) still working normally no fault found , given the above information it appears to be a problem with your system,

even though i told them when i put my 1080ti back into my pc the black screen no signal issue didn't occur

Associate

installed card into system and booted into windows without issues , updated bios on card(i did this prior to sending back) still working normally no fault found , given the above information it appears to be a problem with your system,

even though i told them when i put my 1080ti back into my pc the black screen no signal issue didn't occur

Well, it does not sound very good, no :( I wonder if they have problems swapping the Aorus and there is more supply of the Gigabyte models.

Associate

Tell em to run games on it..

Associate
Yeah, that seems a good idea, or at least tell them to leave the GPU on for days. The problem I had is that the card could be fine for days, but then it would become unstable. If they keep it powered it is likely they will encounter the issue.

Soldato
OP
Yeah, that seems a good idea, or at least tell them to leave the GPU on for days. The problem I had is that the card could be fine for days, but then it would become unstable. If they keep it powered it is likely they will encounter the issue.

yeah im going to phone them tomorrow , I didnt pay over £800 to load windows 10 desktop at least run some games, also i wrote a full A4 page of everything i have tried including my partners PC which is different mobo, cpu, ram, PSU and it did the same thing, so how its my pc i dont know

Associate
From the Gigabyte cards I received and tested so far (Vision OC/Gaming OC/ Eagle OC) I had 2 cards running very hot on VRAM temp (112 degrees under full load) this would result in the card limiting power and therefor bringing down the core clock as far as 900Mhz. On both cards the issue was solved by replacing the VRAM thermal pads and applying better thermal paste. Overall I'm very happy with my Gigabyte cards and I am able to push them a lot higher on the Memory clock OC then the EVGA's (FTW3 ULTRA GAMING) and MSI's (Trio) I've got running.

Soldato
OP
From the Gigabyte cards I received and tested so far (Vision OC/Gaming OC/ Eagle OC) I had 2 cards running very hot on VRAM temp (112 degrees under full load) this would result in the card limiting power and therefor bringing down the core clock as far as 900Mhz. On both cards the issue was solved by replacing the VRAM thermal pads and applying better thermal paste. Overall I'm very happy with my Gigabyte cards and I am able to push them a lot higher on the Memory clock OC then the EVGA's (FTW3 ULTRA GAMING) and MSI's (Trio) I've got running.

Im not sure i have the Khunas to take the card apart to reapply the thermal paste and VRAM pads, but if i do can you recommend some VRAM pads and what paste did u use?

Associate
The RAM is definitely the hottest part, yup. My replacement card works well in that regard, with consistent 68ºC under little load, but it can easily hit 86ºC when gaming or running simulations. Actually, the backplate becomes so hot that you cannot even touch it. The first one was way hotter than this. I am talking about the 3090, that has RAM on both sides of the PCB.

Associate

Mine is going back today and expecting the same. I have put my 2080 Super back in and no issues so far so it must be either the card or driver/windows interaction issue somewhere. I thought it might be a handshake issue with my LG C48 but it produced the same crash on my BenQ TN panel with only it attached.

Soldato
I think it's completely unreasonable to be expected to take the card apart and replace the thermal pads potentially voiding your warranty. I just don't see many of the cards lasting the full length of the warranty with these kind of VRAM temps so I want mine intact. 3080s and 3090s already seem to be dropping like flies. If my 3080 starts throttling when a bit of micro-dust builds up I'm requesting a full refund under "not fit for purpose" claim. Hopefully stock will have improved by then or even new cards will be out.

Last edited:
Associate
Im not sure i have the Khunas to take the card apart to reapply the thermal paste and VRAM pads, but if i do can you recommend some VRAM pads and what paste did u use?
Agreed! I would recommend you start by using HWInfo to look at your T junction and the Delta between VRAM temp and your GPU temp, if this ends up being the problem (like in my case on 2 cards) you can RMA it but they will probably tell you "the card is working as intended" as the card is functioning correctly it's just running very hot and thermal throttling. I used Arctic Thermal Pads and thermal grizzly paste but I would not recommend taking the card a part if you don't know what you are doing even tho the process is straight forward and there is enough documentation out there. As I bought my cards in Holland warranty is still valid even after taking the card apart but since the UK left the EU and I assume you bought your card in the UK I would make sure you are not voiding your warranty before taking it apart.

Associate
I think it's completely unreasonable to be expected to take the card apart and replace the thermal pads potentially voiding your warranty. I just don't see many of the cards lasting the full length of the warranty with these kind of VRAM temps so I want mine intact. 3080s and 3090s already seem to be dropping like flies. If my 3080 starts throttling when a bit of micro-dust builds up I'm requesting a full refund under "not fit for purpose" claim. Hopefully stock will have improved by then or even new cards will be out.
I completely agree with you but we with the current shortage you'll most likely end up GPU-less and the manufacturer will most likely send you the card back saying the card is working "as intended" leading to more frustrations. Of course it comes down to your own comfort level and I have replaced paste and thermal pads on all of my Gigabyte 3080's because I don't like seeing my VRAM temps sitting above 100 degrees constantly when the manufacturer does not recommend running your memory above 95 degrees. It be a real shame if your card dies just outside of the warranty period when you could have prevented it by spending a few £'s on some better pads & paste right of the bat.

With global chip shortage across the market there won't be any improvements in stock it will only get much and much worse.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Just spoke to somebody at there RMA dept asked them if they could run Heaven Benchmark , 3d Mark and the gpu-z render test all three of these cause the card to black screen and then no display with fans at max, so they are going to retest it, fingers crossed

Soldato
OP
Got a result , asked them to retest the card using heaven and 3d mark, they said they would do this over night and get back to me , they now have offered a replacement to the value of the card £820, hopefully it will be a EVGA or a Asus tuff, not fussed as long as it works, bit annoyed I went out and bought a new psu and it wasnt the problem

Caporegime
Got a result , asked them to retest the card using heaven and 3d mark, they said they would do this over night and get back to me , they now have offered a replacement to the value of the card £820, hopefully it will be a EVGA or a Asus tuff, not fussed as long as it works, bit annoyed I went out and bought a new psu and it wasnt the problem
If Gigabyte have offered a replacement, won’t it be limited to a Gigabyte card? I wouldn’t be worried about getting another one.

Soldato
OP
If Gigabyte have offered a replacement, won’t it be limited to a Gigabyte card? I wouldn’t be worried about getting another one.
It will be Gigabyte yep, I guess that either Aorus or a normal Gigabyte, but I don't imagine them giving an Asus :D.

I didn't send it back to Gigabyte fortunately for me it was under the 28 days period so it went back to the online shop where I bought it from . so hopefully its a EVGA or Asus

Back
Top Bottom