BBC document on Covid (Health Service) and Racism

Soldato
I've found this doing my own web searches - Tuskegee Syphilis Study.

I was totally ignorant to this, and understand why black people would have issues with the state mandated programs over the pond.

Why would black people in this country be hesitant to believe our NHS that the vaccine is what it says it is?

Soldato
I've found this doing my own web searches - Tuskegee Syphilis Study.

I was totally ignorant to this, and understand why black people would have issues with the state mandated programs over the pond.

Why would black people in this country be hesitant to believe our NHS that the vaccine is what it says it is?
That is a bit like saying Irish people are only affected by Irish issues if they live in Ireland (note: more Irish live outside of Ireland than in Ireland). Whilst you are at it, you better revoke the ability to vote for ex-pats.

Being black transcends skin colour. Whatever their melatonin, they share much more recent contexts in terms of geographic roots and oppression. This story is therefore relevant to them as black people, not black people who were settled in XYZ country.

Soldato
That is a bit like saying Irish people are only affected by Irish issues if they live in Ireland (note: more Irish live outside of Ireland than in Ireland). Whilst you are at it, you better revoke the ability to vote for ex-pats.

Being black transcends skin colour. Whatever their melatonin, they share much more recent contexts in terms of geographic roots and oppression. This story is therefore relevant to them as black people, not black people who were settled in XYZ country.

Jees, you're suggesting black people are like a hive mind? Listen to what you've just typed, individuals have massively different histories and ancestries.

Edit: Is this the (or one of?) reason highlighted earlier in the thread that BAME people are hesitant to take the COVID-19 vaccines then? Or is there something else less informed people like myself are not aware of?

Soldato
Jees, you're suggesting black people are like a hive mind? Listen to what you've just typed, individuals have massively different histories and ancestries.
How far back do you think a black person can go in their ancestry before they hit a receipt for the bill of sale?

I am not suggesting hive mind at all. I am suggesting an alignment that transcends where they physically sit on this ball of soil.

Edit: as basically proven by the data and point you have made. So are you arguing the point or arguing the reason? :confused: Happy to hear better ideas on the reason. What is yours?

Caporegime
I thought you already said your piece?

no that piece was irrelevant to where you took the story. Do you know the answer to that other question? You seem to be the resident expert on all things BAME.

I guess in the USA it would be a few directly related between 1690s and 1860s most in the USA were slaves, but after that hmm.
Did Africans travel widely in the victorian era?
South Africa has plenty of wars under British colonialism with tribal africans.
When did Black Africa start getting urbanised.
I actually know nothing about West, central and south Africa.... Other than its not great compared....

I bet there are so many People of African origin that are super happy that they got transported to the West and got plonked in Americas. Maybe not the South American ones so much.

Last edited:
Soldato
How far back do you think a black person can go in their ancestry before they hit a receipt for the bill of sale?

I am not suggesting hive mind at all. I am suggesting an alignment that transcends where they physically sit on this ball of soil.

Edit: as basically proven by the data and point you have made. So are you arguing the point or arguing the reason? :confused: Happy to hear better ideas on the reason. What is yours?

I'm asking for the reason, not involving myself in ideas or debate (especially not the ideas you've just put forward, I'll say no more on that...). Posters in this thread said there was a reason, but didn't say what the reason was. I did some of my own searching and couldn't find what they were talking about other than something that happened in the US to people that had the same skin colour as some BAME people in this country. They've posted with authority that there's a reason and not backed it up. I'm here to be educated, not to partake in apportioning blame or create reasons.

Soldato
I'm asking for the reason, not involving myself in ideas or debate (especially not the ideas you've just put forward, I'll say no more on that...). Posters in this thread said there was a reason, but didn't say what the reason was. I did some of my own searching and couldn't find what they were talking about other than something that happened in the US to people that had the same skin colour as some BAME people in this country. They've posted with authority that there's a reason and not backed it up. I'm here to be educated, not to partake in apportioning blame or create reasons.
Well it is called the Black Brick Wall if you wanted to look it up. I only responded to put forward a candidate reason as to why they may distrust our local NHS versus the experience of black people in America.

(I also don't know what happened in the 70s)

Soldato
Be great to see them talk about crime rates, deaths in custody etc.

That moment you realise that 85% of deaths in custody are white British!

Screenshot-20210304-073718-Chrome.jpg

What you going for here ?
Your own graph shows that its pretty much 1:1 death ratio for whites but a 266% increase in deaths for blacks.

Soldato
Your own graph shows that its pretty much 1:1 death ratio for whites but a 266% increase in deaths for blacks.
So white, mixed other are representative, blacks are over represented and Asians under represented by the same margin.
If it was racism then surely Asian criminals would have a 2.66x death rate?

Soldato
This was only inevitable.

I expect black people who have nice jobs and who live in nice areas, are not much worse off if at all.

The article should have been more about the link to poverty and how governments are choosing to apply policies that ignore the deep rooted problems in these areas, who coincidentally tend to have a high proportion of ethnic minorities. (not excluding councils from blame here).

As an example its a complete no brainer to make SSP the same rate as what your normal pay is so people isolate when asked to, but it wasnt done in the budget.

Caporegime

But not at the expense of white people.

It shows a few things, the absolute number of deaths in custody means that more white people die.

You could infer that the number of Asian people who die in custody is simply too low, way below the 1:1 ratio of white people. So in the name of equality how do we address this?

On the other hand we can infer that the system isn't overtly racist. If it was, all none white groups would be much much higher than 1:1, and white would be much lower than 1:1.

This doesn't appear to be a BAME thing.

It appears just 1 group has significantly worse statistics.

Are we all selectively racist, not against minorities but against 1 specific minority? Or are there other factors in play that predisposed the one minority group to these kind of incidents?

Soldato
This was only inevitable.

I expect black people who have nice jobs and who live in nice areas, are not much worse off if at all.

The article should have been more about the link to poverty and how governments are choosing to apply policies that ignore the deep rooted problems in these areas, who coincidentally tend to have a high proportion of ethnic minorities. (not excluding councils from blame here).

As an example its a complete no brainer to make SSP the same rate as what your normal pay is so people isolate when asked to, but it wasnt done in the budget.
Want to know why the show is biased to BAME? Because literally the show is called Covid and POC :D

Literally all other reporting on covid is more generic.

Edit; lol, coincidence implies no causal circumstances. Are you seriously saying you can't possibly see a causal circumstance that these people are below the poverty line?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom