• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Intel Core i7-11700K Review: Blasting Off with Rocket Lake

Caporegime
wait for more reviews to base a actually unbaised opinion. there is hardly any reviews yet lol. those listed are from a amd biased prospective .

Permabanned
Yeah I thought that too, a random ass cooler I've never heard of, named "the best cooler" lol :D Anandtech are a bit out of touch in their reviews, especially not even using a 3080/3090 for testing a pci gen4 motherboard/CPU.

Results are as expected, as this is a pre-release UEFI/microcode. I expect the official launch reviews testing with 3080's/3090's to match/best the 5800x in gaming across the board, especially the i9 with 5.3Ghz.

Worth noting the 291W peak power draw is only when running AVX-512 code, something Ryzen isn't capable of even doing. For applications that use it, it has a huge advantage, though don't expect it in any games.

I know of that cooler and their" less than flat bases" but it is well an truly EOL.

Associate
Tbh DG pretty much all of those charts on the Anand preview are embarrassing for Intel, no wonder super Shrout is busy trying to throw shade over AMD laptops, the misdirection tactics over this utterly fail CPU have already started.

Honestly, this is embarrassing for Intel, but they will sell these if they get the price right and stock is available, AMD are their own worst enemy right now with their self created stock shortages

Soldato
OP
The other funny on the review was this :-

Notice
The official launch date for these processors, and full reviews, is March 30th. We are currently under NDA with Intel for the information that has been provided by Intel, and will publish that information in due course. However, as noted in a number of press outlets, some units have already been sold at retail before that sales date. Units obtained by that method are not under NDA by definition, and we obtained the Core i7-11700K for this review at retail, and as such we are not under NDA for any information we have obtained through using this processor.

Before publishing this review, we gave Intel advance notice to respond to us having a full review ahead of the formal release. Our email seemingly generated some excitement inside (and to our surprise, outside) Intel, but we received a response from Intel stating that they had no comment to offer.

Associate
The other funny on the review was this :-

Notice
The official launch date for these processors, and full reviews, is March 30th. We are currently under NDA with Intel for the information that has been provided by Intel, and will publish that information in due course. However, as noted in a number of press outlets, some units have already been sold at retail before that sales date. Units obtained by that method are not under NDA by definition, and we obtained the Core i7-11700K for this review at retail, and as such we are not under NDA for any information we have obtained through using this processor.

Before publishing this review, we gave Intel advance notice to respond to us having a full review ahead of the formal release. Our email seemingly generated some excitement inside (and to our surprise, outside) Intel, but we received a response from Intel stating that they had no comment to offer.

Oh dear this just gets better

Caporegime
Yeah I thought that too, a random ass cooler I've never heard of, named "the best cooler" lol :D Anandtech are a bit out of touch in their reviews, especially not even using a 3080/3090 for testing a pci gen4 motherboard/CPU.

Results are as expected, as this is a pre-release UEFI/microcode. I expect the official launch reviews testing with 3080's/3090's to match/best the 5800x in gaming across the board, especially the i9 with 5.3Ghz.

Worth noting the 291W peak power draw is only when running AVX-512 code, something Ryzen isn't capable of even doing. For applications that use it, it has a huge advantage, though don't expect it in any games.

Results are as expected indeed. So hot they've had to lop 2 cores off their flagship, slower than a 5800X in gaming.

I'm all ready for the glorious microcode update to address these shortcomings.

Last edited:
Associate

Are the i9's going to be priced in the same ballpark as the 5800X?

Soldato
OP
Results are as expected indeed. So hot they've had to lop 2 cores off, slower than a 5800X.

I'm all ready for the glorious microcode update to address these shortcomings.

If it had 2 more cores it would use as much power as a RTX 3090 :D... close to 375w.. Can't wait for their GPUs to come out and see their power use.

Soldato
Oh wow. I wasn't expecting much but that is worse than I thought...

Do AMD even need to bother releasing some binned 5800X(T?)'s... probably no need :p

I'd heard it before but is this the first time it's been 100% confirmed the NDA is the 30th March? Can't see retail sales (except these :D) before them so it's barely scraping into the much lauded Q1 window as well.

And of course, lol@Dave :p

Associate
lol @ paper tiger NDA whoops, that is quite amusing.

Some will be in denial and hope for salvation but Rocket Lake is not looking great is it? Not bad on certain encoding tasks and even a few CPU renders. Perhaps the 11900K can match the 5800X, but at a 5900X price point mind.

Don't think AMD have much to worry about from Intel this round, only 8 cores not even at a 5800X level. Comet Lake users will be skipping this gen I imagine, upgrading for AVX512 support - I think not.

Associate

Sorry but you going to look very silly in a few weeks time

Associate
Hahaha he'll find some way to spin it. Lower central heating costs for 11700K owners maybe?
Since the northern hemisphere is heading into spring, maybe Rocket Lake (autocorrect was going to suggest Rickety Lake) is part of a new Intel drive to sell more CPUs in the southern hemisphere...

Soldato
Seriously "the best cooler on the market", how about the Noctua D15/15S (both dual stacks) and no stuck on 120mm.
He seems to use the same Thermalright cooler for his recent Intel reviews. It wasn't the 'best cooler on the market' in 2008 when it came out and is definitely nowhere near the best air cooler in 2021. I'd hazard a guess that his temperature readings are going on for ~10c off from if he did use a current air cooler like the D15 etc.

I agree that Rocketlake is a bit of a dud but his testing methodology leaves a lot to be desired.

Back
Top Bottom