• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

No cards anywhere?... (Of any kind)

Soldato
reflect the current market though.
The current market prices for GPU's really worry me as i never seen GPU's drop in price

Remember when everyone was moaning about the 2000 series prices and loads of people were saying that people won't pay them crazy prices
Now look at the 3000 series prices that people are paying :eek:

Associate
You might argue that the low-ish 970 price was partially due to the first round of mining cards flooding the market. [though higher expectations of performance than it turned out AMD r285 competition that year and being stuck on an old node might have been bigger factors]. Ether way it came in at a lower price than the 770.

Etherium conversion to non-proof of work 1st date in July announcement news today suggesting a 30-40% drop in payments from July expected (on top of any normal difficulty curve increases). So starting to look like the beginning of the end, unless some other s*** coin like ravencoin takes off instead for GPU mining.

Last edited:
Caporegime
That the state of the current gpu market a gtx 970 can be picked up for £200 madness but if needs must.

Someone just sold a 1080ti founders edition. That's the blower version which runs hot and extremely loud for £420.

To top it off the owner admitted that he had used it for light mining use too.

The seller had several people in line too at his asking.

Your talking what a 6 year old gpu that under normal circumstances would be worth £150 tops. If it hadn't been a blower then £200 tops.

Now's the best time to be selling GPUs you have lying about.

Soldato
I've got a 2080ti as well as a 1080 lying around I'm probably sitting on a goldmine!

nail head well and truly struck here...drastic increases in silicon demand in recent years...even your bloody toaster is getting smart...has pushed silicon fabrication facilities to their limit. You can't just throw up another silicon fab, it's usually a multi-year process, and quite simply, they aren't being built fast enough to cope with demand.
The fact that both major console manufacturers, most major phone manufacturers, both major CPU manufacturers and both major graphics manufacturers all decided to launch new models over a five month period just brought this issue to the forefront

What even my toaster is spying on me now? Jesus!

Soldato
I've got a 2080ti as well as a 1080 lying around I'm probably sitting on a goldmine!
I got a 1080 laying in the loft as well (most likely in an old pile with x2 780ti, x2 gtx580, x2 gtx275 x2 8800gtx unless i throw some of them them away)

Am just to lazy to sell stuff :o I reckon i could open a second hand shop with the crap i got in my loft :D

Man of Honour
To be fair the 8800gtx and gtx275 will be worth barely anything these days, can't imagine it's worth trying to sell in a small market like Guernsey. GTX580-SLI is probably not absolutely terrible in terms of raw power, but lacks VRAM.
Now 780Ti-SLI on the other hand is not to be sniffed at, decent grunt and 3GB VRAM.

G J

G J

Associate
Theres people looking for resonable priced cards myself included and the last five or so posters just have a few lying about gathering dust and not being used. :D

I can understand cards that are really old but you have 1080's and a 2080ti :eek:

What I did is sold my old GPU's on eBay for the going (inflated) rate, which then gave me enough money to buy a new one for the going (also inflated) rate.

It kinda balanced out in the end... But if you don't have a previous card to sell I imagine its pretty dire... :(

Yup cache22, it's just beyond crazy at the moment.

I could get double what I paid for my 3070 TUF right now and put it towards a 3080Ti.
But what's the point because let's face it there won't be any avalible to buy at launch, and a STRIX or FTW3 is going to be just stupidly priced at 3090 levels of insanity.

Soldato
It was always a bad idea, esp when the region's main powers are not always friendly to the West, either :p

But as with everything else, money talks. China is cheap as chips to assemble things. Not quite so easy to explain how SK and Taiwan became manufacturing powerhouses... although proximity to China probably helped!
Makes you wonder how the West would fight a long war against a major Eastern power like China given how much we rely on semi conductors in our military equipment. I suppose the US would be ok but Europe would in trouble.

Soldato
The current market prices for GPU's really worry me as i never seen GPU's drop in price
Remember when everyone was moaning about the 2000 series prices and loads of people were saying that people won't pay them crazy prices
Now look at the 3000 series prices that people are paying :eek:

You cant really compare. When the 2xxx was out there was plenty of stock and no mining emphasis.

Now there is little stock, little on the 2nd hand market, massive mining boom and the people buying £500 cards for £1000 or more are probably not the people on this forum but ones seeing Mining as a way to make some money.

In my opinion the people paying £1700 for a 3080 are not using it for just gaming. GPU prices will come down but only when stock outways demand.

Dont forget its March 2021 now and there are still people who bought a 3080 in September 2020 who have not got their card yet. It will be 2022 at this rate before we see any signs of stock recovery and this forum will be filling up with 4xxx and 7xxx series threads by then speculating this and that.

Soldato
Bear in mind it's not just the pc market - you can't get a PS5 or Xboxx either.

Sony said they sold over 4m PS5's since launch which is about 1m per month produced. They needed to make a lot more per month though since there are over 150m PS4 owners ready to upgrade.

ljt

ljt

Soldato
At least when you do it will be RRP though.

Precisely, this is what I keep saying. Just because demand is off the scale, the consoles have remained at RRP, so at least you know where you stand and how much it's going to cost when you do get chance to get one. With a GPU, there is no limit.

Associate
Sony said they sold over 4m PS5's since launch which is about 1m per month produced. They needed to make a lot more per month though since there are over 150m PS4 owners ready to upgrade.

Hate to nick pick but maths is wayyyyyyyy of.

True PS5 has been "out" for 4 months and yes, possibly 4 million units might have been sold. But the manufacture of those units didn't start in NOV. Most of these were stock piled for the launch and manufactured earlier in the year. Some PS5 have manufacture date as early as MAY 2020.

So that's 10 months of manufacture for 4million units. Thats 0.5 million units a month. This is probably ramping up, but dear COVID19 didnt help matters.
New gen consoles might be still in short supply by next Christmas.

Secondly

not every PS4 owner wants an upgrade.
not every PS4 owner needs an upgrade or can afford one.

I am PS4 owner and I honesty couldn't give a monkeys about a PS5.

Back
Top Bottom