Sennheiser to exit consumer headphone and speaker markets...

Associate
Woah this is a shame to hear.

I just returned my pair of HD650 for an out of warranty service, the pads/foam was disintegrating and the headband padding almost non-existent, they replaced my 10+ year old pair with a brand new set! Can't beat that for service so shame it won't exist much longer.

Will look at getting some spares, particularly the headband padding.

Soldato

I just returned my pair of HD650 for an out of warranty service, the pads/foam was disintegrating and the headband padding almost non-existent, they replaced my 10+ year old pair with a brand new set! Can't beat that for service so shame it won't exist much longer.

What did that set you back? :)

Associate

The earpads are easy enough as a DIY (just don't press on the grilles), but I haven't tried the band. Good shout on buying spares - makes sense to go it before people really start gouging.

Associate

Think it was £96 fixed fee, I had to pay for postage to them (UK address) but they cover the return.

The earpads are easy enough as a DIY (just don't press on the grilles), but I haven't tried the band. Good shout on buying spares - makes sense to go it before people really start gouging.

Have just spent another £100 or so on spares to cover another 10 years+ use! I have replaced the headband pad myself at least once before, that was simple from memory. I would have done the pads too myself and have removed them before, but thought it worth getting the full "service" in case there was any issues with the drivers. I did wonder if they would consider them BER and just replace them so not totally unexpected.

Permabanned
Think it was £96 fixed fee, I had to pay for postage to them (UK address) but they cover the return.
Have just spent another £100 or so on spares to cover another 10 years+ use! I have replaced the headband pad myself at least once before, that was simple from memory. I would have done the pads too myself and have removed them before, but thought it worth getting the full "service" in case there was any issues with the drivers. I did wonder if they would consider them BER and just replace them so not totally unexpected.

and there's the problem right there .. if your building something that's going to last 10-15 yrs how are you supposed to make money on the cheaper side of the market ..
being to good has it's problems .. got the wife a hdr 180 bout 10 yrs ago .. still going strong

Associate
and there's the problem right there .. if your building something that's going to last 10-15 yrs how are you supposed to make money on the cheaper side of the market ..
being to good has it's problems .. got the wife a hdr 180 bout 10 yrs ago .. still going strong

Absolutely, although I have had lower end pairs which after getting good use did need straight binning and replacing. I guess it is where differentiating flagship from lower end products in the range makes sense, although clearly Sennheiser have decided something isn't working. Wonder if the association with Drop has helped/hindered things.

Shame as after the great service from them with these I was thinking how long until I can justify something in the HD800 range!

Associate

Hmm, that's surprisingly good compared to how they were with the issues with my TW1. Think I'll put in a similar order. I've got a spare short cable so it should just be the pads and band.

Soldato
Only just bought the HD800S a month ago which are incredible headphones lol. They sound in another league compared to other headphones I've used over the years. Had the HD280 for years too which I always liked. Sad news.

Soldato
I only have mid range Sennheiser and they sound way better than anything I have compared against, very bad news in my opinion.

I remember someone asking me to try his £100 console headphones and they were junk, was basically propriety console tax he paid.

I think with a lot 'boutique' headphone companies out there now selling direct to the customers, and drop etc it is hard to compete intentionally, whoever buys the headphone division I think needs to follow in the same vein, maybe condense their range a little and cut their overheads dramatically, don't spread themselves so thinly, initially maybe only sell direct to the consumers.

Soldato
I remember someone asking me to try his £100 console headphones and they were junk, was basically propriety console tax he paid.
It's gaming hype tax.
People buy any kind cheap production trash when made fancy looking and named fancily.
Same with fashion brands like Beats.

Associate
It's sad to hear about this but Other than the HD600-650 they don't offer much IMO. They have some good pro headphones for office work and such and I think the HD600 and many of their older past headphones were fantastic. The HD700 and HD800 though i did not like at all. I think i will go order another set of HD600's just to have them in my collection. I wished I had kept my older pair but they rarely were used, hence the sale.

Soldato
Using my Sennheiser Momentum True Wireless 2 on daily basis both at home and at work and really loving it to bits.

Real shame to hear that Sennheiser will be leaving the consumer audio market...

Back
Top Bottom