X570 cooling

Associate
I had been planning Intel for my new watercooled gaming PC but there seems good reasons to switch to AMD so I started some research. I immediately saw that a lot of X570 motherboards have a fan on the chipset. I definitely don't want that. The fanless ones tend to be in the higher price range and I guess they rely on big heatsinks. Do these still tend to run hot?

I had read many comments about not needing watercooling for the chipset but it seems to me if the X570 is hot enough to need a fan on some motherboards, surely it gets hot enough to benefit from watercooling in a watercooled PC. I notice that a few of the manufacturers have top of the range motherboards which include a monoblock for CPU and chipset. But only for Intel. I know that AMD CPU are more power efficient, but again if some motherboards need chipset fans then why not do a monoblock version for AMD too?

Soldato
I had been planning Intel for my new watercooled gaming PC but there seems good reasons to switch to AMD so I started some research. I immediately saw that a lot of X570 motherboards have a fan on the chipset. I definitely don't want that. The fanless ones tend to be in the higher price range and I guess they rely on big heatsinks. Do these still tend to run hot?

I had read many comments about not needing watercooling for the chipset but it seems to me if the X570 is hot enough to need a fan on some motherboards, surely it gets hot enough to benefit from watercooling in a watercooled PC. I notice that a few of the manufacturers have top of the range motherboards which include a monoblock for CPU and chipset. But only for Intel. I know that AMD CPU are more power efficient, but again if some motherboards need chipset fans then why not do a monoblock version for AMD too?
Never here the fan on mine it doesnt really spin up only on boot

MGP

MGP

Soldato
To slightly hijack this thread, how reliable are these coolant fans? I'm in a similar boat to the OP working out whether the X570 MB's are what I want. Seems to me that any tiny fan must be a failure point. Are they replaceable? Wouldn't want to condemn a £200+ motherboard for the sake of such a small weakness.

Associate
I have the Dark Hero which is without a chipset fan, under extended full load the chipset has never gone above 60c, this is with 3 intake fans running low RPM pushing air across it.

Soldato
To slightly hijack this thread, how reliable are these coolant fans? I'm in a similar boat to the OP working out whether the X570 MB's are what I want. Seems to me that any tiny fan must be a failure point. Are they replaceable? Wouldn't want to condemn a £200+ motherboard for the sake of such a small weakness.
Whilst there is a chance of failure this would be covered by warranty and they can be replaced quite easy also theyre covered by so many hours use aswell

MGP

MGP

Soldato
Whilst there is a chance of failure this would be covered by warranty and they can be replaced quite easy also theyre covered by so many hours use aswell
I think I am concerned more about failure risk in a slightly longer term. I run my kit for some time, beyond what I would expect from any warranty period. My current i7 5820k has served me well since 2015 and it's only now that I'm looking at upgrade as something is failing the motherboard that I need to keep replacing the CMOS battery, and the AIO cooler pump is getting very noisy (my concern on mechanical failure points). It does seem that the chipset fan is only needed under heavy loads so should be idle most of the time, so perhaps I'm fretting unnecessarily.

Soldato
I think I am concerned more about failure risk in a slightly longer term. I run my kit for some time, beyond what I would expect from any warranty period. My current i7 5820k has served me well since 2015 and it's only now that I'm looking at upgrade as something is failing the motherboard that I need to keep replacing the CMOS battery, and the AIO cooler pump is getting very noisy (my concern on mechanical failure points). It does seem that the chipset fan is only needed under heavy loads so should be idle most of the time, so perhaps I'm fretting unnecessarily.
Yes i understand where your comming from i was hesitant myself but they are replacable and like you say only come on with heavy workloads ive never heard or seen mine spin up apart from first boot to be honest ive got 2 nvme on a gigabyte elite board

Suspended
Can't speak for all X570 but mine is noisy, Asus positioned it perfectly so that the GPU almost fully blocks it, meaning I can pretty much always hear it, well done Asus. :D

Associate
OP
Thanks for the comments. I'm building my first watercooled PC and I think I got lured by the recommendations for i9 10900K and then I saw the Gigabyte Z490 Aorus Xtreme waterforce motherboard and in spite of the price got myself planning the best system I could build. Then came Rocket Lake and Z590 but I have been turned off by the rumours/reviews and so started looking at AMD and when I saw the chipset fanskinks I thought WTF! So if I go AMD then it will probably be with the Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme with its passive heatsink for the chipset - I think fitting a waterblock would be overkill.

The remaining question is choice of CPU. Considering the other things I'll be buying, a 5800X seems comparatively cheap. But when I'm committed to paying thousands, I always think its not a good idea by saving a few hundred unless I genuinely don't need extra features. My PC is for gaming and e-mail/browsing with maybe a bit of video editing, but just basic. So it would seem that I don't need a 5900X but...

It's all academic anyway because I can't finish my PC without a new top of the range GPU. I have lots more time to read CPU reviews.

Suspended
Depends on the board layout, chipset fan on my Asus X570-F is noisy, intake sites differently behind where the graphics card sits.

Based on my experience with this I would get B550 if I was buying right now.

Soldato
So if I go AMD then it will probably be with the Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme with its passive heatsink for the chipset - I think fitting a waterblock would be overkill.
No need to pay arm, both legs, rape&robbery price.
Properly designed chipset coolers stay passive if you have good case cooling.

Ironically in case of Gigabyte first sensible model with good VRM has the best chipset cooler design, because of least screwing up by marketroids:
X570 Aorus Elite has cooler farthest away from heat of graphics cards and fan is unrestricted allowing lowest RPM in case it starts running.
(next model up moves fan closer to GPU and another step adds marketing excrement on top of fan)

And MSI X570 Tomahawk has even better chipset cooler and is actually way better than price board with quite high end feature set.
(other MSIs except very expensive ones have garbage CPU VRM for the prices)

Associate
My two cents. On my Gigabyte X570i I took off the fan module as it didn't fit with my CPU cooler, so it's literally been running passive for a year and a half, and I've had no stability issues in my extremely air starved SFF case. Can't remember temperatures off the top of my head, but if anyone is interested and wants to compared I'll install hwinfo and post screenshots.

Associate
My cpu and gpu are water-cooled. I've an MSI X570 Tomahawk and other than for about 2-3 seconds when I first boot up my pc I have never seen my chipset fan come on

Can second this I have the same motherboard and I have never seen it running whie I am using the PC. Additionally there is zero chance you will hear that fan over your other GPU and case fans

Back
Top Bottom