**** Official OnePlus 8/OnePlus 8 Pro Thread ****

Caporegime
A new OP with either the new 1" Sony or Samsung sensors and some good old software trickery would be ideal. Supposedly the Pixel is finally ditching its ageing sensor for one of these - that could be a potent combination.

Soldato
A new OP with either the new 1" Sony or Samsung sensors and some good old software trickery would be ideal. Supposedly the Pixel is finally ditching its ageing sensor for one of these - that could be a potent combination.

The 8 Pro already has a good quality big sensor. It takes some excellent shots at times. It's the consistency that falls short.

And It's the processing that needs work. I was disappointed with the OnePlus image processing when I came from a Pixel 3. However after trying the S21U for a week I have to give Oneplus some credit. The Samsung image processing is downright shocking for what is a flagship. Oversharpened and blotchy details in places. I compared a picture in the S21 thread.

I had pretty much the exact same experience.

Two pics below taken at the exact same time. Point and shoot. S21u vs OP8P.

Download and compare both in regards to detail preservation.

uc

uc

Binning 9 pixels to 1 is not helping on the Samsung.

And in regards to the Pixel, its camera is not good enough to drag the rest of the phone into an option for me. I hope they make a flagship phone this year then we're talking.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Well my Note 8 screen has just lunched itself so I've ordered a OnePlus 8 Pro from Amazon.

Hopefully the 9 Pro is great but I suspect it'll be a lot more than £600, so I think I'm OK with the decision.

Caporegime
My 8 Pro arrived yesterday and so far I'm very happy with it, apart from at night with the screen dim there's a very obvious green tint to everything in landscape YouTube mode. Anyone else know about this?

Caporegime
I believe it's a known issue with the OP8 series.

Yes it happens to mine also. Its the one notable downside of the phone. I got used to it and accepted it as the rest of the phone is so complete.

Cheers both. Sounds like I'll have to suck it up.

I can't believe how much smoother and faster the phone is compared to my Note 8. I thought it would be marginal but it's an absolute beast.

Couple more questions please:

1. What screen calibration settings are people using? I've got mine set to P3 slightly towards the cooler side.

2. Is there a way to add a camera shortcut to the lock screen?

Cheers!

Soldato
The phone is an absolute joy in terms of speed and smoothness. And the software is clean AF.

For screen I use advanced and sRGB, this is the most accurate and correct colour space. Android doesn't support P3 yet so everything will be overstated.

Double tap power button for camera. From anywhere. You can add the icon on locks reen as mine has it. Can remember where the setting is, should be under lockscreen settings.

Caporegime
The phone is an absolute joy in terms of speed and smoothness. And the software is clean AF.

For screen I use advanced and sRGB, this is the most accurate and correct colour space. Android doesn't support P3 yet so everything will be overstated.

Double tap power button for camera. From anywhere. You can add the icon on locks reen as mine has it. Can remember where the setting is, should be under lockscreen settings.

Perfect thanks.

Are you aware of any way to increase the strength of the haptic feedback (in general use, not in GBoard)?

Caporegime
I believe it's a known issue with the OP8 series.

Yes it happens to mine also. Its the one notable downside of the phone. I got used to it and accepted it as the rest of the phone is so complete.

Hey guys.

I just enabled USB debugging in developer options and ran adb from a Windows 10 machine connected to the phone.

I then ran the following command to force 120Hz all the time:

./adb shell settings put global oneplus_screen_refresh_rate 0

...and it appears to have resolved the issue so far. Anyone reading this: do NOT then toggle the refresh rate in display options :).

Source: https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/120hz-force-mode.4084163.

Point of interest: I don't care too much about battery life, since my phone sits on a wireless charging dock while I'm working for most of the day.

I'm glad I (seem to have) fixed this, as the phone is now complete for me! And for £600 spread interest free over 5 months, I'm a happy boy! I have however gone back to Nova Launcher, as the app draw icons were just too large / spread out for my tastes and I like all the apps to be visible without scrolling where possible.

I have taken out Amazon insurance though, as unfortunately my children and I both seem to like smashing my sexy new phones on tiles / concrete :./

Soldato
Anyone else having issues with the WiFi no longer "intellegently switching to the strongest connection" with the latest update?

With the older 3.3 version my WiFi would connect to the strongest Wifi in range, however, now on 4.4 it won't do this and I have to manually switch.

Caporegime
Hey guys.

I just enabled USB debugging in developer options and ran adb from a Windows 10 machine connected to the phone.

I then ran the following command to force 120Hz all the time:

./adb shell settings put global oneplus_screen_refresh_rate 0

...and it appears to have resolved the issue so far. Anyone reading this: do NOT then toggle the refresh rate in display options :).

Source: https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/120hz-force-mode.4084163.

Point of interest: I don't care too much about battery life, since my phone sits on a wireless charging dock while I'm working for most of the day.

I'm glad I (seem to have) fixed this, as the phone is now complete for me! And for £600 spread interest free over 5 months, I'm a happy boy! I have however gone back to Nova Launcher, as the app draw icons were just too large / spread out for my tastes and I like all the apps to be visible without scrolling where possible.

I have taken out Amazon insurance though, as unfortunately my children and I both seem to like smashing my sexy new phones on tiles / concrete :./
Also glad you have it fixed, I don't own a OP8 by the way :p. Kona is the local expert, I do hope to upgrade my Note 9 to the OP9 Pro though :D.

Back
Top Bottom