Valheim

Associate
The ability you get from the fourth boss works pretty well, it shifts the wind round to behind your boat... but by watching it do it you can clearly tell the game knows what direction you're heading and purposely puts you into a headwind a lot of the time... i imagine to make the world feel bigger.

Man of Honour
The ability you get from the fourth boss works pretty well, it shifts the wind round to behind your boat... but by watching it do it you can clearly tell the game knows what direction you're heading and purposely puts you into a headwind a lot of the time... i imagine to make the world feel bigger.

Yeah I definitely think its programmed to put the wind against you as an artifical timesink

Associate
Yeah I definitely think its programmed to put the wind against you as an artifical timesink

I guess it also makes traversing proper ocean a bit more interesting if getting chased by a serpent and the wind does not favour you :D hopefully they put some more creatures in the oceans as once you get to swamps the serpents feel too easy to kill with good bows.

Soldato
Once you've got the abyssal harpoon the serpents are a bit easier to kill and if you're near land you can more easily then hop onshore and others can shoot it with bows and you collect the goodies!

Not gotten a serpent head as yet to mount at our base but we'll get one eventually!

Man of Honour
I've decided to try the terraforming I was intending for later to see how badly it blights the game before I start building. A large artificial island just offshore with an artificial causeway leading to it. A highly defendable location for a castle. But it's a lot of changes to the terrain, so we'll see how that goes. I've been gathering stone at every opportunity, but I'm sure I'll still need a lot more. I think I can get enough done to get some idea of how much lag it will cause.

I see there are some non-cheat mods related to building. The ability to toggle through snap points on the item you're pointing at, for example. That will remove the need to get into a position from which you can see the edge you want to snap to. I think I'll install that. And one that puts the general time of day onscreen, e.g. "late afternoon". I could use that for making sure I leave in time to get home before dark and I think it's realistic in an ingame sense. There's an option for an an actual clock showing hours and minutes, but I think that's too much.

A video I saw (from someone called Cohhhcarnage or something like that, who is apparently somewhat famous) mentioned something I hadn't thought of because I'm thinking in more realistic terms. Maybe other people haven't thought about it, so I'll mention it here:

If you place two portals and take the materials needed to build a boat with you, you only need to sail one way. Portal to your destination, build a boat to sail back with your metal or ore, disassemble the boat when you get back. That gets you far more time per trip for exploration or mining.

Soldato
A video I saw (from someone called Cohhhcarnage or something like that, who is apparently somewhat famous) mentioned something I hadn't thought of because I'm thinking in more realistic terms. Maybe other people haven't thought about it, so I'll mention it here:

If you place two portals and take the materials needed to build a boat with you, you only need to sail one way. Portal to your destination, build a boat to sail back with your metal or ore, disassemble the boat when you get back. That gets you far more time per trip for exploration or mining.

This is a method we have been using for a while. Saves a lot of time.

My group decided to try and find some swamp crypts so we can get started on iron farming. I went for a jolly in a Karve around the coast of another island instead and found various points of interest but didn't want to risk dying. Deathsquitos are easy to kill but a pain as they can fly faster than a Karve can sail, even with the wind in your favour.
4 days it took me. I did nothing but sail and the other 3 players loaded up on iron ore. If I hadn't brought back a few things to unlock stuff it would have been a lot of wasted time.

Soldato
I wandered into the plains and got wiped out by the mobs in there. Lost all my bronze gear. Tried multiple times to get it back but forget it. Really is a bummer for me. So I guess I wasn't prepared for the enemies there. Those death mosquitoes are a nightmare.

Associate
Been reading the negative reviews (ok, i should know better) and just wanted to ask a couple of questions:

1. Is it too grindy having to make many trips to transfer materials?

2. Is this game a royal f..ing pain in the ... on single player?
----------

Will buy it tomorrow if all looks good from your replies.

TY

Soldato
Been reading the negative reviews (ok, i should know better) and just wanted to ask a couple of questions:

----------

TY

1) Its no more grindy than others like it. You need a lot of material to advance. Then you need more. You still need to collect the basic resources as well as the more advanced stuff. Boats or carts help with inventory management

2) I can't comment as I play with 3 others. Just needs we need 4x the resources. I quite like the difficulty.
With half decent gear, Ark and 7 Days are easy. This is a struggle. Which is a good thing.

Soldato
So far I’ve played exclusively solo, around 80 hours, and have only killed 2 boses. I enjoy playing at my own pace doing what I want when I want. A mate of mine now has the game so when he gets around to playing I’m sure we’ll team up occasionally.

Soldato

----------

TY
I'm playing solo and loving it, you just have to be really cautious advancing to newer areas.

Moving stuff around is annoying especially as I don't have any portals yet.
Even now I feel I've had my money's worth, I spend so much time just messing about building stuff.

Man of Honour

----------

TY

1) Maybe.

It is, by design, a very slow-paced game. Progress is slow. Travel is slow, especially before you unlock portals (point to point teleporters). Metal (including metal ore) isn't allowed in teleporters to slow the transfer of materials further (although you can mod that away). Gathering materials is slow because you have to carry them. By hand. You can unlock a cart later, but that's of limited use since there aren't any roads unless you make them.

It's grindy, but is it too grindy? That's a subjective assessment.

2) No. It's absolutely fine as single player. As long as you play it at a slow pace, as intended. Walk out of the meadows biome at an early stage and you will get repeatedly killed. Every time you're killed, you lose 5% of all your skills and whatever you had on you (including weapons and armour) remain on your corpse. Next to whatever it was that killed you, so getting it back will be a problem.

Associate
I will say playing with others is more fun but often will be a lot slower paced due to all the antics and deaths etc.. it really comes down to what your play style is and whether you're happy to just play through the game by yourself. I have a single player world and two servers i play on with the same character and it surprisingly works quite well for me :D

Back
Top Bottom