An Indie music thread

Associate
Is there any traction on here for a discussion of 'indie' music? I know the Metal thread is well-established, but it isn't really my bag. I just thought I'd offer an 'alternative' thread for those of us who prefer that genre...

I'll start. I'll agree that the 'indie' label is a misnomer; after truly independent label beginnings by the mid/late nineties the major labels were jumping on the bandwagon thanks to the rise of 'britpop' and a 60s revival.

Personally, I'm a fan of:

Ocean Colour Scene
Manics
Idlewild
British Sea Power

In all honesty, I struggle with Radiohead, and struggle to see how they are so feted, and the Manics are not. I respect their ability, but find a lot of their music far too depressing; Yes, a lot of the Manics' stuff could be called that, but it has been channelled in different ways which seem (to me) to come across with more anger and energy...

More recently, The War On Drugs have become a favourite, but again I'm not sure they'd be classed as 'indie' with so much commercial recognition.

Consigliere
I feel bad no-one has replied here! :(

I used to be all over the indie scene then moved to techno BUT i do still love Foals. Admittedly they aren't for everyone but followed them since their first EP 'Hummer' came out and think I've seen them 7 or 8 times. Truly incredible band. :)

Agree about Radiohead...don't understand them. :o

Soldato
Indie is a pretty generic term. I think it originally referred to the label the band was on. Personally I have always loved guitar based music and find it really sad that sort of music just isn't popular anymore :(
Probably my favourite band these days is The National. Nearly all their albums are fantastic. Guess they are quite a slow burn though, take a few listens to get into. Also like The war on drugs.

Soldato
I still love a bit of Carter USM, the first album i bought was 30 Something and my mate bought 101 Damnations before we got our TDKs and twin tape decks out.....

First band i saw live too.

Soldato
Subbed to the thread and will pop some recommendations in when I have time. For starters though:

The National (as already mentioned)
The Cribs
Arcade Fire
Grizzly Bear
Editors

Also because I disagree with Radiohead being classed as depressing, but that's nothing new for people that don't 'get' them, along with music not being anywhere near universal to a point anyone will like everything.

I suggest go and listen to Fake Plastic Trees, Paranoid Android, Karma Police, There There, Reckoner, Lotus Flower and even Burn the Witch - if after those you only hear "depressing" then don't bother with anything from the Kid A/Amnesiac era. I actually got into Radiohead during a depression and found a lot beauty and hope within the songs, so always get defensive and confused how they can be described as depressing when a depressed person got a feeling of hope out of them.

Soldato
like some of the bands mentioned already, the national, arcade fire, editors, idlewild

also like (not sure if they are all indie but ..) among many others

dinosaur jr
sebadoh
placebo
afghan whigs
aereogramme
catherine wheel
circa survive
city and colour
death cab for cutie
the twilight sad

Soldato
Indie is a pretty generic term. I think it originally referred to the label the band was on. Personally I have always loved guitar based music and find it really sad that sort of music just isn't popular anymore

what is popular nowadays? Everything seems to be fragmented now.

edit: the current number 1 album is by metal band “architechts”

Last edited:
Associate
dinosaur jr
placebo

Indeed!

Screaming Females (Don Giovanni Records). Marissa Paternoster is some guitarist.
Larkin Poe (Tricki-Woo Records)
Black Honey (Foxfive Records)
Anna von Hausswolff (City Slang)
Chelsea Wolfe (Sargent House)
Russian Circles (Sargent House)
Es (Upset The Rhythm)
Ciscandra Nostalghia (110% Records)
The Paranoyds (Suicide Squeeze Records)

Probably loads more I can't immediately think of, particularly on punk/post-punk indie labels. If we are talking about the 'indie sound', the above selection is quite eclectic and may not be what OP is wanting.

Last edited:
Soldato
Certainly the Indie sound is going strong, I'm not the follower of the scene I was 10 years ago. I listen to Radio X a lot which gives me my fix of classic indie and a decent amount of newer stuff plus some alt rock. As BritPop kid this was definitely my thing for 15 years, late 90's I was doing 2 festivals and 20 gigs a year with only my relative scarcity of funds holding me back.

Back
Top Bottom