Holidays Costs in UK

Soldato
I hate caravan holidays, but yeah the prices are designed usually on 4/6 people sharing that cost.

Camping again for us this year, £78 for 4 nights with an electric hook up on a site that has plenty to do and see for my little girl (she will be 3 when we go)

Usual money we spend on holiday will be spent on the back garden this year.

Capodecina
Soldato
Most holiday rentals/lets in the UK are now provided by "Brokers" who manage the properties.
They set their pricing based on supply and demand (like Easyjet and Ryanair).
I believe that many B&Bs, Self-Catering cottages and family-run Hotels have gone bust as a result of Covid-19 - thereby restricting supply :(
I suspect that many people don't want to take the risk of traveling abroad this year, partly because of the pandemic and partly because of the risk of not getting their money back if the holiday is cancelled.

Overall, the UK is probably a safer bet ;)

Soldato
They absolutely have changed and the manufacturers have desperately trying to adapt to a scenario no one ever could have seen coming, with thousands of grounded aircraft and none of the spares to even maintain them as the longest airlines where grounded was 9/11 previously. Aircraft are sitting where ever there is space, with next to no maintenance cover as so many third party engineering companies have either collapsed or not working.
It is also one of the most highly regulated industries in the world, so you're basically just making stuff up.

Soldato
I must say I do love Devon, and especially Cornwall. if there was decent paid work in the IT world in Cornwall i'd move there like a shot. but Alas no, so i have so go there when ever i can. But this year back to the land of permanent sunshine in the Canairies, for a dirt cheap price. Win Win.
This is pretty much what we did lots of holidays there before moving down, but we found a cheap seasonal pitch in St Agnes £500 a full season and chucked an old caravan on it, any excuse and we were down from Yorkshire, hammered the mortgage to pay off then made the move, good work is hard to find but a lesser job is easy

Soldato
The holidays in Devon cost £1700 because there are people willing to pay that, the price goes up when demand outstrips supply, this is free market economics in play. Prices go up until supply matches demand, if they had a load of empty caravans they'd lower the price. If they can get away with charging £1700, why wouldn't they?

Do any of you peeps holiday in-land in the UK? I chase some of the big fairgrounds such as Nottingham Goose, Hull and London Hyde Park. Any idea what these places will be like this year? I usually stay in a Premier Inn except for London as London is do-able from Stafford as a day trip. I expect Premier Inn prices will be a bit higher this year to make up for last year.

As for coastal areas in this thread, I guess it will be a supply and demand issue. People will want to go to the same places in the month of August, so everyone will be in the same place at the same time. It's a similar issue to lockdown puppies where the demand has surged due to stay-at-home orders and breeders' prices have gone through the roof.

Everyone had the same idea with gaming consoles as well, even the non-gamers. Nintendo Switch and PS4 completely sold out during the 1st lockdown, then the PS5 as well in the later lockdowns. Next year, we'll see surplus stock of gaming consoles, and sadly, puppies as well (that will be fully grown dogs by then).

Soldato
Back in the day (before our seasonal pitch) we would take the young sprogs to Filey, haven blue dolphin or primrose Valley for £150 a week, back then people like us who prioritised our money could have a budget break, then it all went centre parks.
Or is haven still reasonable? Havnt looked, the Perranporth one is a great spot tbh

Soldato
There's a caravan park in Derbyshire we have as a customer that starts at 2 days for £435. It's got a bar but no other facilities and is in an old quarry with nothing interesting within 10 miles. It's crazy. The lodges/vans are lovely but even still self catering It's ridiculous.

Caporegime
I checked all the holiday cottages in the village where I live last night (in land 40 miles from the coast). Apart for a few odd weeks, every cottage is fully booked from 12th April for the rest of the year now. Price varies from £462 per week for a 1 bedroom sleeps 2 shepherds cottage to a 12 bedroom, sleeps 24 victorian mansion with hot tubs, snooker room and tennis courts which is £8700 per week. That is fully booked until the end of 2022 :eek:

Caporegime
Back in the day (before our seasonal pitch) we would take the young sprogs to Filey, haven blue dolphin or primrose Valley for £150 a week, back then people like us who prioritised our money could have a budget break, then it all went centre parks.
Or is haven still reasonable? Havnt looked, the Perranporth one is a great spot tbh

All my family holidays were to Filey growing up, at the caravan park. :)

Permabanned
Like last year places in the UK are getting booked up and prices seem to be quite high. I can actually go abroad for a 10 night stay including flights for less than what it costs to go to the likes of somewhere like centre parcs..... Hoping Covid settles down over the next few months and that we can get a last minute holiday abroad. when I say the lake district was horrendous last summer, that's not an understatement!!

Centre Parcs has always been a rip off, thats nothing new. :p

Back
Top Bottom