Anyone been to South Korea for a holiday?

Soldato
Never been, would love to go, and have been watching a lot of Korean street food videos on YouTube recently. They do seem to like to smother their food in sauces at times and I’m not always sure what the sauces are.

Soldato
South Korea looks amazing, would love to go too. Street food vids on YouTube look great but have noticed they use a lot of super processed ingredients and crappy looking meats.

It is incredible the difference between the north and south given they are on the same land mass.

Soldato
South Korea looks amazing, would love to go too. Street food vids on YouTube look great but have noticed they use a lot of super processed ingredients and crappy looking meats.

It is incredible the difference between the north and south given they are on the same land mass.

Street food is cheap for a reason?

Soldato
I've been to Japan once, and it was amazing. I'm keen to go to South Korea and I asked a similar question to Raymond Lin who has been to both a few times, I've quoted his lengthy reply below.

He seems to think, and this is agreed with my research, that Japan is more interesting and if you haven't been to either then go to Japan first.

When I went to Japan I flew to Tokyo, then train to Kyoto, then Osaka then back to Tokyo. Amazing food, amazing people, just amazing. If you haven't been, go!

In short, Japan is more interesting. For a tourist, Japan > Korea.

The long version is...

I had already been to Japan twice at this point, this was back in October 2019, in November I was itching to go away again. Part of me wanted to go to Japan again and a part of me want to go to somewhere new. Original plan was Singapore but I found out that Singapore was way over what I had budgeted so I quickly scrapped that idea.

During this time I had been started to following this girl on YouTube

https://www.youtube.com/user/blurrysmiles

(I also follow this Canadian couple call Simon and Martina who now in Japan and was in Korea for 6 years and watched lots of their videos)

She is an American married to a Korea living in Seoul and videos mostly Korea stuff (through Covid and all), and it was quite interesting on video so I thought I'd give Korea a go.

So then since I am going to Korea the Japan loving side of me thought....why not go to Japan too? It's only across a bit of water! So I did, Japan for the 3rd time. I will make a separate thread on Japanese food that I ate later on. Anyway, I went to Osaka and Kyoto again just because, also took a trip to Himeji Castle for the day. Then I popped over to Korea for a week, starting with Busan then Seoul.

Here is what I came away with:-

Korea, I think this is due to its history and the many conflicts in the 20th century, it has been FLATTENED many times, almost everything is built since either WW2 or Korean War, what is left are either rebuilt or anything original from the old old days are few and far between. Compared to Japan, aside from the 2 Atomic Bombs and Tokyo, most of other parts of Japan escaped pretty unscathed. Also, Japan's main islands (besides Okinawa) has never ever been invaded successfully. The Mongolians tried, twice, and failed. It was also completely closed off to the world for 200 years from about 1700's so in those 200 years it developed a lot of interesting traditions that is fascinating which a lot is still around today (Geisha for example). Japan also has many laws that is specific to preserve traditions, both the physical arts and crafts, and also buildings. They would often build around something old than let developers flattern it.

Take this for example, a random temple I found.

You see, I find this just pure awesome. In the middle of a shopping mall no less. This is besides the whole Otaku and Anime scene. I always allow an afternoon in Akihabara to just browse and window shop even though i don't buy any Manga or Anime there (don't understand a word), I just like the area and love looking at the figurines.

Korea, has not much of that. There really no place like Akihabara or DenDen Town. The history are limited to the palaces and a couple of temples. Japan has lots of Castles, Temples, Shrines, Pagodas just everywhere. Kyoto alone probably have more Unesco World Heritage sites alone than all of Korea. Also, due to all the new building, the city itself feels quite plain and bland. Everywhere feels the same really. The streets on Busan looks like it could be in Seoul and vice versa, besides the fact the Busan is next to the sea.

That's not to say Korea is bad, I mean there is the DMC (was closed when I went), if you are into K-pop then it is a must go. Hongdae with the university students (or just the teenagers) trying to be the next K-Pop star is very interesting to watch. Korean food is very good, the spice thing is real and if you like spicy, you will like the food. Korean drinking culture (albeit I didn't part take) looks fun, they often have their food alongside drinking so that is always good.

What is not good for a solo traveller in Korea is their their culture is more a group hangout culture so eating out it can be limiting as some places only serves 2+ persons. There are more places cater for solo eating but unlike Japan, Japan is solo traveller's dream, with it's Ramen booths and conveyor belt sushi and Cococurry etc. I have never been turned away anywhere because i am eating alone in Japan. I went to some quite expensive Waygu beef place in Kobe by myself no problem.

I think Korea is worth a visit, but I distinctly recall when I left was that "Japan is better". I would go back for the food, but I wouldn't rush back to see the city.

I am sure that is quite a ramble, and probably sounds like I found Korea very bad and boring. It may be because i went by myself, a lot of the activities are for couples for groups, like they have "Instagram" spots but that is useless for me! Where in Japan if you go to a famous spot for photo (like the Torii gate in the water near Hakone), people line up and it is an unwritten rule the person behind you will take photo for you. I didn't see such a rule in Korea, or perhaps they are all in groups!

Also some of the cultural things in Korea you got to know first before you go. Like don't be surprise if people don't hold the door for you even if they are just in front, they just don't. It is a culture of age, so older person immediately demand respect. Even if they are strangers.

Story time.

On the underground, the end seats by the door is designated for elderly or pregnant women or the physically disabled, but when it is dead on the train you'd think no one would care. So one time I saw a young girl sitting on the end seat, next stop on came an old guy, by old he is probably about 50-60? He saw her sitting where she shouldn't and went over to shout at her, kicked the base of the seat she was sitting at. She was very startled (was looking at her phone), saw him then immediately ran off to the other end of the carriage.

He didn't sit down though, he just wanted to make a point.

Soldato
I've been to South Korea in the past 3 years but we followed one of those guided tours. It was a nice overall experience to see that part of the world and itsn't far off from Japan (if you ever been) but less busier. Not everyone there can speak English or has knowledge to know English but locals are polite and welcoming. Can't say where to stay and eat but its easy and friendly. I don't know how well your travelling skills are but plan in advance where you want to go and how to get there.

Soldato
I’ve been in and out of S Korea for 11 years. By far the biggest food market to go to in Seoul is Namdaemun market.

Korea is a fantastic place to visit. Seoul is a stunning futuristic city that flows between the mountains. The shear number of mountains in Korea is going to surprise you, the country is around 70% mountains!

If you want to explore Seoul further then there are lots of interesting areas. There are lots of palaces you can walk around.

Here’s a short list of the areas:
- Hongdae - young area, nice bars and trendy restaurants etc. (A bit like our Shoreditch)
- Gangnam - tech centre. Lots of cool buildings, great displays on screens, 3D advertising, COEX (check out starfield library)
- Myeongdong - shopping, like our Oxford St.
- Itaewon - expat area, lots of bars and get lots of fusion foods due to the high multicultural mix
- Insadong - lots of quirky shops
- Dongdaemun - fashion area
- Jamsil - theme park and sports events
- Bukchon Hanok - the old part of Seoul where you can get away from the high buildings and see something old (aside from the palaces you will have seen in the other areas)

If you get out of Seoul then you can experience a lot more
- DMZ tour - a short trip from Seoul
- Gyeongju - the old capital and absolutely incredible palaces and fortresses. Some great Buddhas hidden in the mountains. Incredible history.
- Jeonju is the culture capital of Korea and has really awesome food.
- Jeju island - stunning scenery

I thought this guide of various places to visit was quite good. I’ve been to most of them and they are all pretty good (there are loads more) https://www.cntraveler.com/gallery/the-most-beautiful-places-in-south-korea/amp

I’ll let the food talk for itself but do make sure you at least have bbq, samgyeopsal, bibimbap, jjigae and korean fried chicken (just called chicken there).

I’ve been to Japan quite a lot of times too as it is only a short hop across the water and that is well worth doing. Tokyo is a fun place and like Seoul if you want to see the real history and culture then hop out of the capital to another city that wasn’t flattened in the war like Kyoto in Japan or Gyeongju in Korea. Having spent time visiting all of Korea and not just Seoul I would put culture and history much higher in Korea. There is nothing like stumbling across a fortress from 1600s and just wandering around it with not a soul in sight! Gyeongju has artefacts from 57BC and lots of palaces, temples and fortresses built during the Silla dynasty 57BC-935AD which is incredible.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I’ve been in and out of S Korea for 11 years. By far the biggest food market to go to in Seoul is Namdaemun market.

Korea is a fantastic place to visit. Seoul is a stunning futuristic city that flows between the mountains. The shear number of mountains in Korea is going to surprise you, the country is around 70% mountains!

If you want to explore Seoul further then there are lots of interesting areas. There are lots of palaces you can walk around.

Here’s a short list of the areas:
- Hongdae - young area, nice bars and trendy restaurants etc. (A bit like our Shoreditch)
- Gangnam - tech centre. Lots of cool buildings, great displays on screens, 3D advertising, COEX (check out starfield library)
- Myeongdong - shopping, like our Oxford St.
- Itaewon - expat area, lots of bars and get lots of fusion foods due to the high multicultural mix
- Insadong - lots of quirky shops
- Dongdaemun - fashion area
- Jamsil - theme park and sports events
- Bukchon Hanok - the old part of Seoul where you can get away from the high buildings and see something old (aside from the palaces you will have seen in the other areas)

If you get out of Seoul then you can experience a lot more
- DMZ tour - a short trip from Seoul
- Gyeongju - the old capital and absolutely incredible palaces and fortresses. Some great Buddhas hidden in the mountains. Incredible history.
- Jeonju is the culture capital of Korea and has really awesome food.
- Jeju island - stunning scenery

I thought this guide of various places to visit was quite good. I’ve been to most of them and they are all pretty good (there are loads more) https://www.cntraveler.com/gallery/the-most-beautiful-places-in-south-korea/amp

I’ll let the food talk for itself but do make sure you at least have bbq, samgyeopsal, bibimbap, jjigae and korean fried chicken (just called chicken there).

I’ve been to Japan quite a lot of times too as it is only a short hop across the water and that is well worth doing. Tokyo is a fun place and like Seoul if you want to see the real history and culture then hop out of the capital to another city that was flattened in the war like Kyoto in Japan or Gyeongju in Korea. Having spent time visiting all of Korea and not just Seoul I would put culture and history much higher in Korea. There is nothing like stumbling across a fortress from 1600s and just wandering around it with not a soul in sight! Gyeongju has artefacts from 57BC and lots of palaces, temples and fortresses built during the Silla dynasty 57BC-935AD which is incredible.

If Carlsberg did replies, thank you :)

I think I might look to book Japan first, won't be for a while though

Soldato
If Carlsberg did replies, thank you :)

I think I might look to book Japan first, won't be for a while though
Thanks. I have been to Japan 4 times too so I have good experiences of that as well. I was lucky to see Shuri castle in Okinawa before it burnt down :(

I think others may have some great info. If you have the time then doing both can be fun. When I first went to Japan I coupled it with Korea.

Soldato
I worked for a Korean company in the late 90s, was in Seoul quite a few times.

From what I remember.

Never get in a taxi with a young driver.

Street food is to be avoided ( workmate ended up in hospital )

Itaewon is *interesting* at night ( especially in the American clubs )

Korean food is excellent ( except for kimchi, I HATE kimchi )

The locals are nice but mad as hatters, expect to be approached by complete strangers so they can practice English

Associate
I visited South Korea back in 2012, I went to Jeju. Whilst it was a very nice island, it was sort of aimed at tourists. I totally agree, food is amazing, and I learnt a lot about their culture. They were very friendly in the most part, apart from those that think you are a Russian pimp, apparently that's popular over there.

Osam Bulgogi is probably up there as one if not my favourite dish, followed by their fried chicken and bibimbap. I do have my own stone Dolsot pot.

Soldato
Or anyone been to Japan?

Recommend somewhere that has amazing restaurants and street foods?

I've been to Japan a few times now and I've been cancelling and moving my next flight forward a few months for the last 12 months.
The food in Japan is on another level from anywhere else I've been, it stands to reason really as of the top 5 cities with the most Michelin stars, Japan holds 3 spots with Tokyo at #1. However, for street food I'd say that Osaka is better than Tokyo. Off the top of my head, the food to check out would be...

Street Food
Taiyaki - a batter in the shape of a fish with all filings under the sun, sweet red bean paste, custard etc.
Takoyaki - octopus in batter balls covered with mayo, sauce and katsuobushi (shaved dried fish)
Kani - grilled spider crab legs
Yakitori - fried chicken skewers
Doriyaki - pancakes with fillings in the middle
Dango - rice flour balls
Matcha ice cream
Kakigori - shaved ice, in the oppressive summer (or even the warm autumn) this is so good!

Restaurant Food
Okonomiyaki - savoury pancake with loads of options of fillings and toppings
Tendon - Tempura donburi, it sounds bland but it's so so good!
Kaiseki - Traditional multi-piece meal with so many seasonal dishes of whatever is in season and fresh, I usually don't know what 50% of the stuff is but it's all amazing
Unadon - Unagi donbori - grilled eel on rice, don't let the image of jellied eels put you off, this is probably my favourite dish though a bit pricy at around £30-£40 for a serving
Sushi
Ramen- so many types but tonkotsu (thick pork broth) is my favourite
Tsukemen - like ramen but the noodles and broth are separate, you dip the noodles in the broth
Kariraisu - curry rice, Japanese curry is different to Indian curry but also really good, you can usually add toppings like soft boiled eggs and cheese too
Kushikatsu - breaded and fried stuff on sticks that you dip in sauces
Wagyu steak - doesn't really need much explanation, be prepared for it to ruin all future steak for you!
Gyutan - beef tongue, this is the speciality in Sendai and is actually really good despite the name

In terms of places I've been to, they all have their good points, if you have any questions let me know:
Tokyo - So many things to see and do, though Akihabara was a bit overhyped especially if you're not into anime or manga which I'm not. Shinjuku is definitely my favourite part of the city with so many things to do.
Osaka - amazing city and you're more likely to end up chatting and drinking with the locals
Kyoto - you can spend days walking around here looking at all the shrines, temples and old streets
Hiroshima - super friendly and laid back city with good okonomiyaki, it's also close to Miyajima island and the famous shrine (one of the 3 top views of Japan)
Kusatsu Onsen - an amazing place to just chill out in all the onsen and rotenburo (outdoor baths), I stayed at a ryokan owned by a guy who had spent a few years in London so it was good to chat to him and get some good local tips, it's also not too expensive
Nikko - Super old and historical town, not many foreign tourists but loads of local tourists
Sendai - The biggest city in Tohoku and a good base to head out places like Matsushima below
Matsushima - small coastal town near Sendai with an amazing view (one of the other top 3 views in Japan)
Morioka - Small town with a few interesting things to see, I mainly went as it's my friend's hometown

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I've been to Japan a few times now and I've been cancelling and moving my next flight forward a few months for the last 12 months.
The food in Japan is on another level from anywhere else I've been, it stands to reason really as of the top 5 cities with the most Michelin stars, Japan holds 3 spots with Tokyo at #1. However, for street food I'd say that Osaka is better than Tokyo. Off the top of my head, the food to check out would be...

Street Food
Taiyaki - a batter in the shape of a fish with all filings under the sun, sweet red bean paste, custard etc.
Takoyaki - octopus in batter balls covered with mayo, sauce and katsuobushi (shaved dried fish)
Kani - grilled spider crab legs
Yakitori - fried chicken skewers
Doriyaki - pancakes with fillings in the middle
Dango - rice flour balls
Matcha ice cream
Kakigori - shaved ice, in the oppressive summer (or even the warm autumn) this is so good!

Restaurant Food
Okonomiyaki - savoury pancake with loads of options of fillings and toppings
Tendon - Tempura donburi, it sounds bland but it's so so good!
Kaiseki - Traditional multi-piece meal with so many seasonal dishes of whatever is in season and fresh, I usually don't know what 50% of the stuff is but it's all amazing
Unadon - Unagi donbori - grilled eel on rice, don't let the image of jellied eels put you off, this is probably my favourite dish though a bit pricy at around £30-£40 for a serving
Sushi
Ramen- so many types but tonkotsu (thick pork broth) is my favourite
Tsukemen - like ramen but the noodles and broth are separate, you dip the noodles in the broth
Kariraisu - curry rice, Japanese curry is different to Indian curry but also really good, you can usually add toppings like soft boiled eggs and cheese too
Kushikatsu - breaded and fried stuff on sticks that you dip in sauces
Wagyu steak - doesn't really need much explanation, be prepared for it to ruin all future steak for you!
Gyutan - beef tongue, this is the speciality in Sendai and is actually really good despite the name

In terms of places I've been to, they all have their good points, if you have any questions let me know:
Tokyo - So many things to see and do, though Akihabara was a bit overhyped especially if you're not into anime or manga which I'm not. Shinjuku is definitely my favourite part of the city with so many things to do.
Osaka - amazing city and you're more likely to end up chatting and drinking with the locals
Kyoto - you can spend days walking around here looking at all the shrines, temples and old streets
Hiroshima - super friendly and laid back city with good okonomiyaki, it's also close to Miyajima island and the famous shrine (one of the 3 top views of Japan)
Kusatsu Onsen - an amazing place to just chill out in all the onsen and rotenburo (outdoor baths), I stayed at a ryokan owned by a guy who had spent a few years in London so it was good to chat to him and get some good local tips, it's also not too expensive
Nikko - Super old and historical town, not many foreign tourists but loads of local tourists
Sendai - The biggest city in Tohoku and a good base to head out places like Matsushima below
Matsushima - small coastal town near Sendai with an amazing view (one of the other top 3 views in Japan)
Morioka - Small town with a few interesting things to see, I mainly went as it's my friend's hometown

Great post :)

I think I'm leaning towards Japan more now

Is it crazy expensive in Tokyo?

Thank you

Caporegime
Great post :)

I think I'm leaning towards Japan more now

Is it crazy expensive in Tokyo?

Thank you

Japan's inflation has been near zero for almost 20 years...Tokyo is about the same as London. Although hotels currently are doing crazy deals to get people travelling (except UK is on the banned list currently). If we are assuming normal pre-covid prices, you are talking about £100 per night accommodation for something basic (I stayed at once place that was £140 per night and another about £100 per night), budget for another £10 a day on the metro. You can eat as little to as extravagant as you like. £300 a head michelin star sushi or £10 a bowl michelin star ramen are avaiable.

I budget for £100 a day for activities in Japan, it's usually slightly under that but if you want to go up to Skytree or to the to of the Shibuya Scramble building, you will need to pay and Skytree is about £35. Or if you want to go to Timelabs, that costs money too. So typically about £40 for activities, £40 for food and £20 for the metro.

In comparison SK's accommodation were cheaper, like 30% cheaper for equally nice hotel.

Back
Top Bottom