Fire Thread! - Stoves, Wood, Axes, Chainsaws

Caporegime
@Minstadave Could it be you have a leak in the chimney breast and what is coming down is old soot from when the chimney was used with an open fire?

I dont think so. Its a 90s build and don't think it's ever had anything other than a woodburner.

Our chimney sweep says it's solid (clay?) lined chimney and it must just be a small leak where tar is trickling down and should be directed into the woodburners flue pipe but isn't.

I'm reluctant to spend 2k lining the chimney if it doesn't need it. I'll see if I can get someone to scope it to see what's what before ripping it all out.

Soldato
I dont think so. Its a 90s build and don't think it's ever had anything other than a woodburner.

Our chimney sweep says it's solid (clay?) lined chimney and it must just be a small leak where tar is trickling down and should be directed into the woodburners flue pipe but isn't.

I'm reluctant to spend 2k lining the chimney if it doesn't need it. I'll see if I can get someone to scope it to see what's what before ripping it all out.

The guy who sold us our woodburner had a look at our chimney when he delivered it and said it was OK because it's clay liners -3 yrs later we had tar water run down lounge walls - Seems the builder put them in upside down - ie:- Male socket pointing up so water coming down ran through the joints into chimney itself.
Had to put SS flue pipe in and had to knock out all bricks above woodburner to do it.
Not amused at the time.

ps - the woodburner supplier also fabricated a fitting that you just pushed up clay pipes and it was designed to make the water go into the flue from burner. The flue fitted over a socket on the end of the fitting. Think it's still hanging round somewhere.

Soldato
Well ****.

Guys are round to install our stove and liner. They've had to give up, chimney is completely blocked, like slab of concrete laid across it blocked, and not in a position it can be easily unblocked without taking half the house apart.

Guess we're having to look at other options to try and keep the front room a bit warmer in winter, can't stand electric fires (or the cost).

At least we're getting a new hearth :(

Associate
Well ****.

Guys are round to install our stove and liner. They've had to give up, chimney is completely blocked, like slab of concrete laid across it blocked, and not in a position it can be easily unblocked without taking half the house apart.

Guess we're having to look at other options to try and keep the front room a bit warmer in winter, can't stand electric fires (or the cost).

Did someone not test the chimney first with a smoke bomb or similar when coming round to check and give a quote?

I got really excited when ours was being installed. To have it snatched from your grasp like that is pants!

Soldato
Did someone not test the chimney first with a smoke bomb or similar when coming round to check and give a quote?

I got really excited when ours was being installed. To have it snatched from your grasp like that is pants!

I don't think it would have show a problem if they had, I can hear the wind blowing up it, it's not 100% blocked, so air can still get through. A bunch of floorboards are laid across it too, so they can't even squeeze the liner in if they knock the concrete out.

I hate to think what other horrors are lurking behind the walls in this house :p

dod

dod

Soldato
I can get a full ton bag of kiln dried softwood (pine/larch) delivered here for £65. Nobody doing hardwood around here any more, it's all softwood as we have so much big cuts happening on the hills there is insane amounts of the stuff to be had as bulk.
Where are you getting that from ? We recently moved into a place beside Beauly and want to stock up in the summer :)

Soldato
Well ****.

Oh no that's really **** :(

Soldato
OP
Where are you getting that from ? We recently moved into a place beside Beauly and want to stock up in the summer :)

2 pines down in Kincraig come up here and do alright softwood.
Lad up near Contin - farm on your right on the A835 just before you get to Contin has a kiln and he's 65 per bag for KD pine.

The best lad used to be out Beauly way who had a kiln. I would never ever have used someone else but he gave it up a couple years back :(

Avoid most the lads on FB. Advertise dry wood and it's anything but!
Although might be sound just now to stock up part dried stuff if you have space to dry it in time for next winter.

Associate
Moving into a new house soon and the first job is getting some quotes for a couple of multi-fuel burners. If its expensive I'll just go with one for the moment but I'm thinking they might do a discount for getting two put in at the same time. Does anyone have any rough ideas of cost for installation in the North Lincs area? or a good installer.

I've been looking at a couple of stoves from the top 10 on here https://www.stovefitterswarehouse.co.uk/pages/5kw-wood-burning-stoves-2020-how-to-choose#crystal5

Soldato
From earlier in here

Agree depends hugely on where you are, what drive you go for, if you need a flue / liner etc

Of the two we've had, the first was about £2.5k all in and included disconnecting / removing and disposing of the old gas fire / hearth and surround with a new granite hearth, oak mantle and cowl as well as skimming the builders opening but no liner and the stove (in that price) was ~£900

Had an extra over price, if needed, of £450 for a liner

Had my second (different house) fitted about 3 years ago was £3k for removing / disposing of the old gas fire / surround and hearth, forming the opening, liner, cowl, skim the opening and breast, oak mantle, slate hearth and same stove

So I'd budget around the £3k mark as a ballpark figure

Hope that helps with a ballpark

Associate
From earlier in here

Hope that helps with a ballpark
Excellent thanks, I've been adding bits up and a rough idea of bits the cost is £1400 so then just costs for them to put it all in so yes about 2.5k. No fire to take out or dispose of. I'm going to get 2 or 3 quotes and see what they say. I really like the look of the Peanut 5kw bignut stove with a cooking top on.

edit, forgot to add the oak mantle in so up that by £200.

Caporegime
@Minstadave ours was £995 below is quoted from invoice

To supply and install a 6” (20 year guarantee) Stainless steel flexible chimney liner and all necessary pipe work,
fittings, register plate and cowl to your chosen stove (stove quoted separately). Includes all fittings, labour and
HETAS certification.
(904 grade chimney liner with 35 year guarantee is available for extra £200, which is recommended if burning
coal)

Had it lined a few weeks back, second quote was half the price. Thanks for the help.

Associate
Good wood supply for future one of two dead mature horse chestnuts, for my Stovax Elise 680 Glass W 7kw. Only used it a dozen times heats the whole house lol.

sFfIJc6.jpg

Ckyvmk4.jpg

G5WIgnE.jpg

Yes I have a piece of granite to place on the floor for regs, but looks better without. Its there if I ever sell the house.

Last edited:
Associate
With the new laws in place around selling wet wood, I'm guessing it also applies to the odd individual selling on a bit of fresh wood from a newly chopped garden tree?

Back
Top Bottom