~£15k Coupe Suggestions

Soldato
A 6 series 3 litre diesel BMW. Enough room in the boot for at least 2 dead bodies, 300+bhp and enough torque to scare your kids. Add to that it is a proper GT and you can get a good one at your budget OP. Thread closed.

Soldato
A 6 series 3 litre diesel BMW. Enough room in the boot for at least 2 dead bodies, 300+bhp and enough torque to scare your kids. Add to that it is a proper GT and you can get a good one at your budget OP. Thread closed.
I test drove one and got a 535d! Great engine, but 640d was like piloting a small ship, not my cup of tea.

Soldato
I think the quattro takes a lot of the fun out of it. You won't kill yourself though.
Yeah, there is a small side story as well .... my wife was given a Porsche Cayman S courtesy car for 3 months after she crashed her BMW (I know, sounds bonkers but true!) so it made me realise what I was missing. I drove it nearly the whole time, she preferred my TT ;)

Soldato
Yeah, there is a small side story as well .... my wife was given a Porsche Cayman S courtesy car for 3 months after she crashed her BMW (I know, sounds bonkers but true!) so it made me realise what I was missing. I drove it nearly the whole time, she preferred my TT ;)

I'm pleased you've said that as I have been looking at Caymans recently. I'm in two minds at the minute. The RS is mighty fast though.

Soldato
OP
Sorry, currently working night shifts and on a short break now, so will reply with more detail tomorrow morning.

But thanks to everyone who has taken the time to look at cars or reply.

Maybe restricting myself to coupe isn't exactly what I'm after given what people have recommended? :D

The 4 series looks better than the 2 series to me, but looks really big/long? On the other hand having said I'm not looking at hatches, styling wise I like the look of the 1 series over the 4 series, as it looks more like the Z4 coupe.

To give more of an idea of what I like, looks wise, other than the TT, GT86, Z4 coupe, MX5 RF, to some degree the 1 series, I like the Jaguar F Type, Ford Mustang, Nissan GT-R, Porsche Cayman.

Soldato
Sorry, currently working night shifts

To give more of an idea of what I like, looks wise, other than the TT, GT86, Z4 coupe, MX5 RF, to some degree the 1 series, I like the Jaguar F Type, Ford Mustang, Nissan GT-R, Porsche Cayman

Your budget gets you a fairly new & low mileage main dealer supplied GT86. Folding rear seats offer a decent loading capacity too.

If you want something with more torque then a turbo petrol ie Audi TT 2.0 TFSI is the next logical choice and will give you that type of power delivery. It will be a bit older than the GT86 in budget but you are still able to get a decent one.

Nothing new, I would sooner have one, than buy a hairdressers car... (audi TT)

Mk3 megane rs

Same. They handle significantly better and no badge tax attached to parts and maintenance.

The Megan RS is a 3 door hot hatch, it's not a sports coupe. Good car though but a long way from the OP's criteria.

Soldato
OP
RE: A GT86 - meant to be great fun to drive, but interior is classic Japanese car (cheap) and infotainment/driver comfort things are pretty basic to be honest. As much as I'd love how the car would drive, I could never get a GT86 as I'd just feel short changed at paying £15k+ for a car with a Jap interior and a very basic interior.

This is my worry really, spending £12-15k on something that even if it drives well, just feels cheap inside, and regret buying it. I really do like the exterior look though.

Do you want a fun drivers car, or a fancy interior and a boot? Because you dont really get both.
The TT is quite numb if you have experienced a proper sports car. The handling isnt anything noteworthy.

That's exactly it, it's all relative right? So I'm thinking if I do go for the TT, I sort of get both, because it's going to be more fun than the Focus regardless. Whether that feeling stays that way who knows.

TT 2.0 or TTS would be my suggestion.
I'd avoid the S-Tronic if it's not under warranty.

I can't quite make my mind up on S-Tronic or manual. I'll have to test drive both I think, although might be hard to decide based on a short drive with it. You have the manual mode with S-Tronic. But with S-Tronic there's that worry of the mechatronic failure (Is that why you recommend avoiding it?) but if it has it's scheduled gearbox oil change, it should be ok? There is also a premium with S-Tronic and Quattro over manual/FWD. The latter can get one for as low as £14-15k.

Will your budget stretch to a TTS? I think anything under 300bhp is going to have to be really fun which the TT isn't, but the TTS makes up for it with it's power.
Think you'll soon get bored of the standard TT.
TTS gets my vote, but I think they are around £22k?

I mean I COULD, but it's justifying spending that extra when I'm already coming from a measly Focus. Do you think going from 100bhp to 200bhp won't keep me entertained for long?

Re: mk2 TTS/TTRS, interesting suggestion, I think I'd still prefer the mk3 for various reasons. Interior a lot nicer, I like the sharper lines of the mk3 exterior over the roundedness of the mk2, I think I'd be more worried about security (more so the TTRS, not that I live in a bad area though), insurance/parts more expensive?

I've spent hours looking at coupés around that price point and two that stuck out for me were the Megane RS and Astra VXR.

Megane RS is interesting, I've read that it's track focused though and might be a bit firm as a daily driver?
VXR, like the Fiesta ST, I think looks a bit too boy racer for my liking.

Civic FK2 Type R - maybe a little raw given lack of conventional rear suspension, but mental power, looks and b road ability

I liked the FN2 Type R styling, but not a fan of the later models at all.

The 1 series Coupe went out of production 8 years ago. It's place in the range was taken by the 2 Series coupe.

I actually meant the hatchback 1 series!

---------------

I *think* I'm leaning more towards getting a TT mk3. The Megane RS although interesting, I still prefer the look of the GT86/TT.
I keep getting drawn to the looks of the GT86 though haha. Whichever I were to choose, I would want it to be red as I think that looks best.
If the GT86, I would go <2017, as I prefer the front bumper of the pre-facelift. About £13-16k.
If the TT, I would need to decide on manual/auto, and FWD/AWD. Manual/FWD is about £14-15k, auto/FWD is £17k+, auto/AWD is £16-18k.

Soldato

Megane RS is interesting, I've read that it's track focused though and might be a bit firm as a daily driver?
VXR, like the Fiesta ST, I think looks a bit too boy racer for my liking.

The 'Trophy' suspension is pretty firm, but I think the standard ('Nav') is probably OK as a daily driver.

Agree Re: the VXR. It is pretty boy-racery.

Soldato
I *think* I'm leaning more towards getting a TT mk3.

This makes sense as you are exactly the kind of buyer the TT was designed for - someone who wants something that looks more interesting than your average hot hatch but that retains a reasonable degree of the practicality still.

A normal 2.0TFSI will be more than entertaining enough coming from a 1.6 Focus, even if it doesn't meet the lofty standards of the OcUK driving purists and POWEERRR thrill seekers, whilst allowing you into a pretty new example with creature comforts like the digital dash etc.

My personal choice in your circumstance would be a FWD auto - I don't think you'd necessarily see the benefits of the quattro to be particularly picky about having it, albeit there's no reason to avoid it if a good example appeared.

Soldato
I mean I COULD, but it's justifying spending that extra when I'm already coming from a measly Focus. Do you think going from 100bhp to 200bhp won't keep me entertained for long?

The reason I say TTS is for a couple of reasons. There is no doubt a jump from 100bhp to 200bhp isn't going to put a smile on your face. Of course it will.....but for how long, and how long till you think "should I have gone for a TTS". Going from 100bhp to 300bhp will put a HUGE grin on your face for sure.

My friend years ago was in a similar situation. He was looking at a Focus RS. Back then it was his dream car. It's all he went on about. Everyday he would go on and on about this damn RS. I said, buy one......but his head and wallet decided on a sporty Zetec S. Urgh...I knew what was coming.
He started spending money on it. Here we go! Then after wasting thousands on it, he traded it in for an ST.....then started spending money on that.....by the time you factor in what he'd spent on the two cars, and what he lost by trading up he could have got the damn RS. In the end he finally did buy an RS, but if he'd have bought what he really wanted at the start he'd have actually saved money.

Maybe not the same situation here. Only you can decide that....but I'd take a long hard look on used audi, and autotrader sites and look at the price difference between 'good' 2.0 quattros and TTS.

Optional extras tend not to add much to a cars second hand value, so pay attention to how well spec'd the cars are.

The TTS also comes with plenty of kit by default over the standard TT. Sounds like you like the TT in general, so definately worth checking out.

Soldato
This makes sense as you are exactly the kind of buyer the TT was designed for - someone who wants something that looks more interesting than your average hot hatch but that retains a reasonable degree of the practicality still.

A normal 2.0TFSI will be more than entertaining enough coming from a 1.6 Focus, even if it doesn't meet the lofty standards of the OcUK driving purists and POWEERRR thrill seekers, whilst allowing you into a pretty new example with creature comforts like the digital dash etc.

My personal choice in your circumstance would be a FWD auto - I don't think you'd necessarily see the benefits of the quattro to be particularly picky about having it, albeit there's no reason to avoid it if a good example appeared.

The non quattro is about 50bhp down IIRC You really don't want the TT in FWD.

Back
Top Bottom