*** HP Reverb G2 Owners Thread ***

Soldato
Well orders on SA seemed to be working so put an order in for one... hopefully the new 5950x with 3090 will be enough to power it :D

nope :D

I still can’t run any of my main games (Sims like ACC, AMS2, MSFS, DCS etc) at 100% resolution and 90fps with acceptable settings.

Other secondary games tend to run pretty well.

Soldato
nope :D

I still can’t run any of my main games (Sims like ACC, AMS2, MSFS, DCS etc) at 100% resolution and 90fps with acceptable settings.

Other secondary games tend to run pretty well.

Even on an Index which is much lower resolution (but still pretty good) I can't run some sims at high detail, full resolution on a 3900x and a 3090FE. Don't even bother trying to run games like No Mans Sky or Subnautica at anywhere near full resolution or detail either. Some games just don't seem to be very well VR optimised. They worked ok on the low resolution headsets, which also can run at lower detail levels as the detail loss isn't as apparent, but they just can't perform on the newer, higher resolution ones. Oculus headsets can get away with lower framerates as the motion smoothing is far better than Steam VR or Windows MR versions.

Associate
Had a dispatch notice for my headset. HP site have them in stock again. And any of you that ordered from SA, they will dispatch the orders this week.
They must have had a big shipment in.

Associate
I got the email saying that anyone that ordered over the weekend would have theirs shipped this week, but I haven't actually had an email stating that my order has been processed or shipped. Order on my account still sat at processing and the money has gone out of my account.

Associate
So first impressions. Coming from a CV1. Display is amazing. Earphones are amazing.
Initially seemed quite light, but on head it doesn't feel any lighter than my CV1. Can't quite get comfy yet, getting too much pressure or too loose. I will keep adjusting.
Controllers feel cheap and are no where near as good as the oculus ones in the hand.
Main annoyance at the moment is the cable. It seems to be in the way or catching all the time. Routed out the back via the clip I can't find a comfortable place for it. Standing or seated. It has a rubberised texture which grabs on things and it's generally not very flexible. I have unclipped it from the back and I'm running it straight down from the front. That's a little better, but unsure if it's good for the cable.

Associate
Main annoyance at the moment is the cable. It seems to be in the way or catching all the time. Routed out the back via the clip I can't find a comfortable place for it. Standing or seated. It has a rubberised texture which grabs on things and it's generally not very flexible. I have unclipped it from the back and I'm running it straight down from the front. That's a little better, but unsure if it's good for the cable.

I'd be really careful with how much you allow that cable to move around and flex, especially at that point where it exits the headset connector. The main cause of cable breakage seems to happen when the head strap is lifted up/down and allows the cable to repeatedly bend at that weak spot.

I've seen quite a few threads over at reddit that show alternative ways to route the cable and add in some strain relief to help it last longer. Might be worth checking out to see if that might work for you :)

Associate
I will definitely have a look on Reddit, thanks for the suggestion.
I thought I had routed the cable wrong when it bent so much swinging the strap up. Seems like a bad oversight on the design.

Just took out the 3 year warranty. Seems like the right thing to do with so many issues on the G2's. Should come with that as standard IMHO.

Associate
So first impressions. Coming from a CV1. Display is amazing. Earphones are amazing.
Initially seemed quite light, but on head it doesn't feel any lighter than my CV1. Can't quite get comfy yet, getting too much pressure or too loose. I will keep adjusting.
Controllers feel cheap and are no where near as good as the oculus ones in the hand.

I would agree, I moved to a G2 from a CV! as well. The cable I find to be an absolute pain in the way it is routed and I find it catches on nearly everything when I'm sat down flying in MSFS.

The other difference i noticed with the G2 was the sweet spot for the vision, while the overall clarity was worse on the CV1 the width of the vision seemed greater, has taken time to get used focussing dead ahead on the G2.

Associate
Really interesting discovery I made tonight: When I press Windows + Y to click on a menu item in game (for example in AC) and forget to press windows + Y again I get random frame drops, usually 6-10 per lap regardless of GPU usage etc.

So Windows + Y blue bar on = frame drops
Windows + Y blue bar off = no frame drops

Anyone notice this also?

Associate
OMG it's so good I want to cry! coming from a CV1 it's a huge leap in fidelity. FOV is a bit more narrow though but small price to pay, as others have said the cable sucks though, far too inflexible and too grippy, might use a Velcro cable tie to attach it to the upper strap further around to the right.

Deffo need to get some prescription lenses for it though, wearing glasses in it is not that comfortable.

Had a quick fly around in Star Wars squadrons all maxed out and it's just stunning.

For the G2 vets is there an IPD calibration screen similar to the Oculus rift?

Associate
OMG it's so good I want to cry! coming from a CV1 it's a huge leap in fidelity. FOV is a bit more narrow though but small price to pay, as others have said the cable sucks though, far too inflexible and too grippy, might use a Velcro cable tie to attach it to the upper strap further around to the right.

Deffo need to get some prescription lenses for it though, wearing glasses in it is not that comfortable.

Had a quick fly around in Star Wars squadrons all maxed out and it's just stunning.

For the G2 vets is there an IPD calibration screen similar to the Oculus rift?

I tried the index last night and didn't notice any difference in the fov.

Soldato
It depends on what your playing or doing really. Most things i do you don't notice the fov, but expansive views in flight sims or beat saber where there's less of a tunnel effect, then the Index extra becomes more notable. More centrally focused things like track racers or pinball, you'd hardly note it.

Associate
Upgraded from a Rift S, the clarity is so much better! I use it mostly in iRacing and seen further down the track is so much better. I bought it a while ago without the controllers, but want the controllers now but HP want £200 just for the controllers. I'll probably have to buy a complete set and sell one of the headsets

Associate
Upgraded from a Rift S, the clarity is so much better! I use it mostly in iRacing and seen further down the track is so much better. I bought it a while ago without the controllers, but want the controllers now but HP want £200 just for the controllers. I'll probably have to buy a complete set and sell one of the headsets

I wouldn't bother, the controllers are total gash. Maybe buy some used Vive stuff and use those instead with it.

Back
Top Bottom