• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Graphics card prices?

Soldato
Who in their right mind puts a waterblock on a mid-range card?!? Let alone charges £800 for the privilege?!

i have a waterblock on my 5700 non XT that's because i have bios flashed it to an XT for the extra core clock speeds. Running it on the standard MSI fans even with the fan curve had ddd shut downs. Now it hardly goes above 70c on the Junction Temp on 2000mhz. But feel quite happy that a 6700 xt has only 25% performance increase on the 5700's 8gb seems like the sweetspot atm.

Associate
surprised other manufacturers like asus, msi, gigabyte etc havent gone the nvidia route and setup direct retail sales from their own websites bypassing any middle man and making even more profits.

It's a pain to do though, expending your supply chain vertically like that.

You have to:
- Handle the tax in every country you are selling to.
- Have worlwide distribution deals for transport
- have extra staff to cope. And part of that staff is permanent,.
- Deal with individual consumer payments, refunds etc. in their local currencues. With changing exchsnge rates.
- Promote in local markets (advertising to in-country websites, mags etc)
- have all the extra physical and logicsl security for it all

They have to be big enough to make it all worth the investment involved. If it was easy money, they'd all be consumer retailers.

Soldato
wants/needs, everyone is taking the micky it seems, glenfiddich 18 year old single malt has suddenly gone up £10 for no apparent reason that i can so, seems covid was the excuse for everyone to get a bit more greedy.

in my mind 1% extra costs means everyone is at least doubling that to make back the lost profit and 1 extra for good measure.

It's not about greed. It's about supply and staying in business.

If they had a ton of cards to sell the competition would be very high, and thus the volume would mean they can drop the prices and send them out the door. How are you supposed to run a business and keep the lights on with like, 4 GPUs a week?

The bills don't cost less because of the crappy supply. The staff don't cost less either, or the logistics. Given the GPU is probably the most in demand item and highest selling they have to do something.

It sucks, no doubt. However, this is what happens during a pandemic. Things like this are luxury items, and thus won't be around in high volume. If you want one? pay the price. If not? then I suppose it's back in the line with the rest of us really.

Associate
I am surprised at how thin supply is for the RTX3060 with it being a smaller and simpler die you would think they could get more out of a wafer unless Webshops that provide PC building for customers are hanging on to stock.
Events do not look good for AMD`s 6700xt tomorrow most buyers would be better of just not trying but i expect nothing will discourage them. Prepare for havoc Webshops. :)

Soldato
“The tightened supply of Qualcomm AP chips produced by TSMC is affecting everybody except Apple,” said MS Hwang,
analyst at Samsung Securities. “PCs will soon be hit due to the short supply of display driver ICs,
and the profitability of TV will be affected by soaring LCD panel prices.”
I have a feeling that PC's have already been hit :p

Caporegime
Not been that fussed with buying a new GPU this time but looking about, stock is still not available anywhere and the price hikes are insane. So glad I wasn't bothered this time but if this is a sign of things to come, I am certainly worried for my PC gaming future.

Soldato
Not been that fussed with buying a new GPU this time but looking about, stock is still not available anywhere and the price hikes are insane. So glad I wasn't bothered this time but if this is a sign of things to come, I am certainly worried for my PC gaming future.

Hmmm, yeah - even if the mining bubble pops - those with mining rigs will still use the cards to mine whatever as these cards have the highest hash rates? Or will there be an influx of cheap cards - albeit mined? Unless this happens I'd be waiting for next gen unless summat pops up what you are prepared to pay 2nd hand. As long as the mining boom is current - any cards are being snapped up instantly with usually mining farms in direct contact with the middle men at Nvidia & AIB's. Bet large retail outlets dont have the same relationships with these middle men as before if mining farms offer more for bulk vs Gibbo's trying to keep costs closer to MSRP.....

No one got consoles either. I reckon these companies will put in measures in the future to stop bulk buy where it all has to go through retailers. Here's hoping anyway.

Does dampen the gaming spirit though.

Soldato
Got to agree with you about the future of gaming, its an aspect of this debacle that i think a lot of people are missing here. I think a lot of game developers are looking long and hard at the sales of the high end cards to "gamers", and wondering if its worth their time to develop "power hungry" games in the vein of "Cyberpunk 2077, watch dogs legions, Crysis remastered, etc" as a lot fewer people predicted would have the more powerful Gpus capable of running them to a point where its worth their while, ie: high/ultra settings, with all the bells and whistles enabled. They might see a predicted drop in sales, making it not worth their while, so turning more and more to consoles, so depriving the pc market of any decent meaningful games.

Just a thought, and I hope I'm wrong

koh

koh

Associate
I was looking to replace my 980ti with a RTX3000 or AMD GPU and thought I'd wait for AMD launch to compare GPUs. Whilst waiting I got a EVGA 2080 black edition 2nd hand for £330 which was top my price limit as expected 2nd hand prices to drop. Now that £330 seems a bargain as even non 2080 tis are going for silly money. I can't see GPU prices falling for sometime & they may not as if punters willing to pay OTT prices. If prices stay high I will have to think if it is really worthwhile PC gaming apart from on less demanding games.

Soldato
I am surprised at how thin supply is for the RTX3060 with it being a smaller and simpler die you would think they could get more out of a wafer unless Webshops that provide PC building for customers are hanging on to stock.
Events do not look good for AMD`s 6700xt tomorrow most buyers would be better of just not trying but i expect nothing will discourage them. Prepare for havoc Webshops. :)
The problem is that there's so much demand right now that they could have shipped ten times as many 3060s and they would have still sold out straight away. People are buying up anything and everything at this point. Prices keep going up and up and up with many (most) retailers gouging as hard as possible, and yet they're still selling out instantly. I've been keeping an eye on alerts and have seen places selling 3070s at up to a grand and 3080s for approaching what a 3090 FE would cost. All sold out in a minute or two.

Back
Top Bottom