my complex storage solution

Associate
Hi room.

Hope all are good..here,s the issue.

Oddly I'm running out of storage...how unique you might say.

I use my desktop for music and occasional video editing but my music involves hugh orchestral programs and i,m stumped in how to proceed. hope you can advise. Money is an issue and a nas solution is off the table for now due to location, noise and money.

I have an old Intel 750 1tb NVME and a NVMe 970pro running the OS. Ive been cheating out for years using my passport 5400 usb3 drives for programs but.... these large orchestral vsts load just fine with them and they are very quiet. Right now they all.....seem to be failing on me after years of use but some new ones too...not good. Stupidly I bought a 3.5 4TB black and is funny loud. Ouch!

I,m looking at a 10tb Red 7200 which according to wd,s site runs under 30db on spin up. not much more than the 5400 red. I'm looking at the plus because of the dreaded SMR scandal. nearly bought a Red 12tb plus and just at the last moment noticed that that drive runs up to 39db....phew. At that point I thought I might just ask people more in the know than me. noise is everything here...

Hope you fellows are well and looking forward to any replies.

Thanks Male.

Caporegime
If noise is really so much of an issue a NAS is surely the best solution?

Anything else will be noisier and either slow or expensive.

The only other solution I can think of is a Google business account. They give you unlimited online cloud storage for £8 a month but then you require a decent internet connection.

I believe Amazon prime offers similar but possibly pictures only.

Associate
Unfortunately no HDD is silent, I ditched a 4TB Blue due to noise that was even significantly quieter than a 4TB WD Black which I returned as they're so noisy. (Something to do with new tech that clicks every 5 seconds - absolutely maddening)

In an high airflow case even a WD Blue is far too noisy. A couple of years back I switched cases from noise dampening and didn't want to spend SSD prices for 4TB or above so got a 2TB QVO Samsung for under £200 which is actually great for just accessing files, but too slow for a boot drive. Maybe go for a cheaper 4TB SSD for now, if just for games or similar storage I'd happily get another QVO, they're cheap drives for storage only, but just fine for that purpose in absolute silence.

There's even some much faster M2 PCIE 4TB's for under £500 that could be worth looking at.

Associate
OP
Thanks for the swift answers guys..

Well that's what's confusing to me. My passport USB3s are whisper quiet, used them for years right next to me so I figured a blue wd @ 5400 would be just as quiet if not quieter... maybe they are, maybe its the metal case. From what you say pc777 im guessing your right though. Stange stuff.

I,m considering a scaled down SSD as you mentioned 7. I must have 4 or 5 EVOs about the place but their small.. Just getting to the point of looking for cheaper SSDs. Thanks for the QVO tip. Id really like at least 10tb though as my workflow is enormous considering.

From what I can tell PS NAS drives are a lot noisier due to being more robust? Not all but I get the impression the higher grade you go the noisier.. Actual you tubers don't really talk about that much. Interesting. There are a few drives that are quiet and robust like the RED Plus 10 tb (that's currently out of stock) though.

I went to instal my 4tb black tonight out of desperation only to receive a I/O error in disk management... HELP HELP..

I haul in 100gb files hourly sometimes PS into my SSDs for use so downloading & uploading them is a no no. Anyway that comp has no wifi...

So thanks for your tips guys. Given me a few things to think about. Any more bright ideas please let me know. As its looking I'm maybe looking at a my Passport setup. Not really what I wanted but hey...

Peace.

Permabanned
I think you should get a helium drive. They are really quiet. Much quieter than their air cousins. They are available as IronWolf and WD Red, I am reasonably sure the latest 12TB are helium, but you would need to check.

Associate
From what I can tell PS NAS drives are a lot noisier due to being more robust? Not all but I get the impression the higher grade you go the noisier.. Actual you tubers don't really talk about that much. Interesting. There are a few drives that are quiet and robust like the RED Plus 10 tb (that's currently out of stock) though.

With a nas drive you put it in a different room and connect to it with a network cable so noise doesn't matter.

Associate
OP
Well things were getting desperate so i ordered a wd red wd80efax. 8TB red plus model 7200 256mb. Is that a helium pp111, don't think it is. I looked at the latest red plus 12tb but the website says just under 40db compared to 30db for the 8tb. Anyway will see if anyone is interested?

Maybe i,ll get a NAS when I have more drives marms but at the moment im in a garden shed so not many options for that at the moment. Looking to get actual fibre this month so maybe that might be an option.

Also thinking of buying some really cheap ssd drive from amazon (£20), maybe 5 x 120gb and loading them in the desktop to preload my programs..any thoughts..

Thanks for the help guys.

Back
Top Bottom