Poll: What type of driving licence do you have?

What type of UK driving licence do you have?

• Total voters
Commissario
This subject came up during an online chat yesterday and I thought it'd be interesting to ask here. I'm not posting it in motors because it's not a question about cars and I imagine a lot of drivers never even go into motors.

What type of UK driving licence do you have?

Provisional
Old green paper type
Old pink paper type
Current photo type
I don't have a driving licence

Soldato
Photo card here

When the photo card arrives it comes with a green paper part tho, I think...shows the issue number of the card amongst other info...I’ll have a look later

the expiry dates on HGV entitlement are just for a routine medical (that you need to pass obv...)

Soldato
I have gone from the little Red book with pages to a photo card type through all the other iterations. I have to renew it in 2022 due to age but I may not bother. I will see what my lifestyle requires then.

Soldato
Can you edit the poll to to include the category, could be interesting to see who’s licensed to drive what. :)

I think anyone that passed before 1997 will have the same as you do (except the CE). I know I do but my missus doesn't (she passed 2002).

Photo for me, moved several times in the last 15 years.

Soldato
Anyone have the glitch when getting the photo card that allowed it to automatically suck in your passport photo?

I ended up renewing with a photo older than the one that was on my current photo card.

Soldato
Photocard these days.Still remember the old licence though as I passed my tests (bike and car) back in the early '80's.
No longer have CE as I let it expire years ago.

Man of Honour
I have gone from the little Red book with pages to a photo card type through all the other iterations. I have to renew it in 2022 due to age but I may not bother. I will see what my lifestyle requires then.

Having passed my test in 1957, I had the little red cardboard book for years, then I got my HGV all groups by “grandad rights”, as I’d been driving articulated trucks for years, before HGV licences were deemed necessary, this was a paper licence I think.
When photo licences came in, I applied for one, saying to my wife that I’d drop the HGV part out.
She said, “Is that wise? You never know.”
I said, “Are you kidding, I never want to drive an 18 wheeler again, I detest driving now, and you have to hold a gun to my head to make me drive your little Peugeot.”
In fact, the only times that I drove her car was if we visited my relatives in Lille and Lens, and took her car on Le Shuttle to France.
She really got hinky driving on the right in a RHD car, as it drove her nuts trying to see round trucks that she wanted to overtake, where conversely she’d fly down I.75 in Florida in a Lincoln Navigator, like a bat out of hell.

Back
Top Bottom