What watch do you wear?

Soldato
The v2 Pelagos is not as nice as the OG one. It's bulkier in size for a start due to the in-house movement and the dial is messy with no less than 5 lines of text which is highly annoying. The OG 2nd hand would always be my choice as it is a classier look, and the ETA 2824-2 it uses is top grade with a +1s accuracy per day in any position.

I politely disagree. I had the choice of either version and went with the new one as I wanted the in-house movement. I don't notice the extra lines on the face and don't find them messy. As for bulk, the titanium case and strap means it's much lighter than other SS watches and very comfortable even at it's larger than average size.

Soldato
I do like the tool quality of the Pelagos and the bigger size. Think the BB58 is a little on the small side but i do like the aestheics.
The Seamaster, well its a Seamaster. Only thing that puts me off is the bracelet and the heluium valve...
The Navitimer......Iconic heritage and unmistakable look.

I don't have large wrists and even at it's larger than average size the Pelagos sits very well. The BB58 is lovely but small and after having the Pelagos won't be buying one. It's actually put me off buying a Rolex Sea Dweller as they look too small now.

The Pelagos was my first 'decent' watch and the only one I've not had a tingle of buyers remorse over.

Soldato
I don't have large wrists and even at it's larger than average size the Pelagos sits very well. The BB58 is lovely but small and after having the Pelagos won't be buying one. It's actually put me off buying a Rolex Sea Dweller as they look too small now.

The Pelagos was my first 'decent' watch and the only one I've not had a tingle of buyers remorse over.
What model sea dweller did you find too small?

Man of Honour
I politely disagree. I had the choice of either version and went with the new one as I wanted the in-house movement. I don't notice the extra lines on the face and don't find them messy. As for bulk, the titanium case and strap means it's much lighter than other SS watches and very comfortable even at it's larger than average size.

No problem with the disagreement!

I owned the OG version for a couple of years and have seen the in-house version at length too!

When I said bulk I didn't mean weight, I meant physical size. The in-house movement is bigger than the ETA and as such the case increased in thickness making it look and feel quite a bit bigger than the OG one.

Movement pick is of course preference, at time of release the new model had mixed views online and many were preferring the old version due to the messier dial text of the new one and removal of the lume marker at 3. Of course if you must have in-house then there's only one choice to be made, whilst others prefer the easier and much cheaper service of the ETA. Both offer the exact high level of accuracy but the in-house movement reliability remains to be seen as it's too new and cannot fall under the "workhorse" category yet.

The original also had a lume marker at 3 by the date window whereas the updated version removed i which is annoying.

Whilst the lines of text on the dial are down to preference, you have to be joking if you say you don't notice 2 lines of text vs 5 especially since the 5 lines are not aligned aesthetically to the rest of the dial, they are printed too far down basically sitting on the lume marker at 6 without an evenly proportioned gap.

H70DLJr.jpg

Vs

sQSxjNJ.jpg

The Pelagos and Halios Tropik SS are the only 2 watches I regret selling to be fair.

Last edited:
Soldato
Which one would you guys choose out of the Milgauss and GMT-Master II ?

I’m leaning the GMT, in steel with the blue/black bezel.

They're totally different watches, given the GMT function and rotating bezel and date function vs time only?

Also, one is far more in demand than the other, with waits of months/years for the GMT vs. weeks/months for the Mil.

Soldato
They're totally different watches, given the GMT function and rotating bezel and date function vs time only?

Also, one is far more in demand than the other, with waits of months/years for the GMT vs. weeks/months for the Mil.
I see. Didn’t really factor in the wait time. I’ll have to rethink.

Soldato
I see. Didn’t really factor in the wait time. I’ll have to rethink.
You can always pay the scalpers' premium from a grey dealer or second hand reseller like Watchfinder. You pay (a lot) to not wait!

It's worth noting some people don't wait long at all after registering their interest at an AD, whilst others wait a very long time indeed. You may get lucky and yours sources you one right away.

Soldato
You can always pay the scalpers' premium from a grey dealer or second hand reseller like Watchfinder. You pay (a lot) to not wait!

It's worth noting some people don't wait long at all after registering their interest at an AD, whilst others wait a very long time indeed. You may get lucky and yours sources you one right away.
Many thanks for the information. Now that shops in my area are starting to function normally (due to lockdown etc), I’ll be able to pop in tomorrow to inquire about a few watches. Hopefully I’ll get lucky. But I’m not getting my hopes up :p :)

I don’t really fancy paying through the nose and going the grey market route. I’d rather support my local AD and purchase through them. (Edit - even if it means waiting)

Associate
haven't they just placed the 1 and 2 so the gap to the half circle cut out is even? if the two was moved up wouldn't it close the gap on that side due to the shape difference with the top of the one

I was giving this some thought and making the numbers level in one direction, might put them out in another. So I'm still torn. I've taken some more pictures in better light. My son with his 15yr old eyes thinks it slightly out too.

Marloe Coniston Black Edition

After walking outside into the dull, cloudy light, for just a few minutes, the dials charged up and coming back into the house there was a noticeable glow.

I picked up a watch box for £15 from Amazon. It'll do for now, but it's only acceptable quality. It's basically glued together and not particularly well. So will probably only last a year or two.

One plus point is it's made me notice my pride and joy (gift for my 40th from mum and dad) Omega needs a new battery and probably a service. It's 8 years old and has only been away once for a new battery. Any suggestions on how to proceed as far as servicing? Just find a local guy?

Omega website says £360

y4m5ZinmbhH_D5J0RmlcQk2NyTOv61b1WtDZLFwZbSw7X2FkBuBJTW-DSTvQwGrZe3lfqjY-djKq8rg1VCk2ecLqtaYgQHRWZE6gZCxMgYqhtSScXFAXMbYbw9yuyzZRA2ObdHvhLhUdTBEWCNQpCDjmG4-osHqpjOwFmwQ1bzdf-klPQ36AAq8PMO7Zjl6rFNt

y4mzCPC3RCcWyr3qYhVlm7z9h1WCmyFPZmKgUBAtrCx-KOrHJ_GLf-odRK00BwZvhp30nq7oDQkk3_P3If1lyDBPLrdHfg_i95yCOE-CGA99iOS_ARliDCqySaXAFsKExLJRt6B4ZbOUMNsePhHB4Nr5NI0ILE1AGtwCDlaR09IBBsa_8fjrET_UBhLvW_cSHuB

y4mhoFrKzGnjwDVp51U3r_JuyO98V0YTDzAq-jJrFlSP44TK0uHDB0K8ZNQgsKKJZOwZ9So7gWHDKHeASWB_RlmlJjKEm_3CSxePBKDJYUlSqwxYvPIPbf1S57bT_PdpLv5aqqk_pfbxQ_bucGYxyyKxpJl96RQpIB7Yec5Sd5pyOfkbdYSkxyM-29APrKp3Er1

Last edited:
Soldato
I don’t think the 12 is misaligned. It’s looks to me like it’s an optical illusion caused by the 12 being set into the black “hump” in the dial design. The 12 is quite large and it the design would benefit from a wider hump but I really don’t think either number is misaligned. It’s a great looking watch btw. Very nice!

Back
Top Bottom