• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Second hand price insanity!

Associate
All I can say is that they almost always side with the buyer. I'm no expert though.

Not always, I won a few cases against bad buyers by just providing irrefutable evidence to eBay that I was right a buyer tried to scam me. But they do try to stand on the side of the buyer, especially if it's against a commercial seller. In case of private sellers it's a bit more balanced.

Associate
Here's hoping they do.... and hopefully they leave it to the last couple of weeks to really twist the knife in.... Buyer has every right to screw over scalpers taking advantage of this situation.

TBH, I'm kind of tempted to go out of my way to buy the items and do this for pure badness :p
LOL, this is why I decided not to sell my card. I agree that scalpers are bad, but would you view me selling my slightly used 3090 at rrp as scalping? A lot of people would but I would only sell it if I managed to get a lower tier card (which I was originally aiming for) at rrp and didn't want to be out of pocket on the 3090. What about a slight markup to cover the other things I got scalped on, like my psu and ram? I considered that too, but it's a horrible situation all around and I decided I don't want to get involved, I'm just happy I got my pc built at all.

Anyway I just wanted to warn any honest sellers using the auction site that you might get ripped off by an angry buyer, PP transactions are easily reversible and you won't get your hardware back. The true scalpers can get f'd I hope they do get the transactions reversed.

Associate
If you missed the news, eBay doesn't work with PP the same way anymore. Buyer can still pay with PP but that goes to eBay not to the seller, then eBay wires money to seller's bank account. No more chargeback directly from PP like this, now they will have to go through eBay, open a proper case etc. Which means protection will work both ways and there will be proper case. Not that you couldn't fight chargeback from PP (even if through your own bank) before, but it was more problematic.
I didn't know that, thanks for the info, though I suspect they won't be much better than PP were in terms of making sure the buyer actually returns the item. Just want people to be careful when there are so many angry (rightfully) buyers about

Caporegime
Not always, I won a few cases against bad buyers by just providing irrefutable evidence to eBay that I was right a buyer tried to scam me. But they do try to stand on the side of the buyer, especially if it's against a commercial seller. In case of private sellers it's a bit more balanced.
What proof did you provide?

Associate
Not sure why anybody would chance selling to some tit on eBay. I’m glad I sold my 5700xt on the mm for £300 to a member. Even if I got £700 for it off eBay I just couldn’t be arsed with any potential hassle.

Associate
Just want people to be careful when there are so many angry (rightfully) buyers about
Rightfully? What makes it right? Because gamers are ENTITLED to buy at msrp? Lol. Luckly most buyers are miners at the moment who are more than happy to pay a fair price.

GAC

GAC

Soldato
Rightfully? What makes it right? Because gamers are ENTITLED to buy at msrp? Lol. Luckly most buyers are miners at the moment who are more than happy to pay a fair price.

fair price Oo, yeah a fair price for 2nd hand cards is not above the rrp of the card at launch 2-3 years ago.

Caporegime
LOL, this is why I decided not to sell my card. I agree that scalpers are bad, but would you view me selling my slightly used 3090 at rrp as scalping? A lot of people would but I would only sell it if I managed to get a lower tier card (which I was originally aiming for) at rrp and didn't want to be out of pocket on the 3090. What about a slight markup to cover the other things I got scalped on, like my psu and ram? I considered that too, but it's a horrible situation all around and I decided I don't want to get involved, I'm just happy I got my pc built at all.

Anyway I just wanted to warn any honest sellers using the auction site that you might get ripped off by an angry buyer, PP transactions are easily reversible and you won't get your hardware back. The true scalpers can get f'd I hope they do get the transactions reversed.

Yup that I don't think many/any will have issue with those sort of scenarios.

I'm referring more to the people who already have what they want/need but are actively going out of their way to scalp by buying new sims, setup new email accounts and so on to get around the limitations etailers have placed. Surprised more etailers haven't blocked by IPs as well, although obviously easy enough to get around that too but every little bit helps!

If I had bought something from a scalper on ebay (the kind whos sell history is multiple high end GPUs etc. for well over what they paid), I personally would fully intend on abusing the chargeback but I wouldn't say it didn't arrive, I would just return something that is worth the MSRP of purchased said item back so maybe a 390x or something going by todays prices :p

Hmmm, there's a thought, might have to start posting a full on step by step guide on how to screw over scalpers on ebay! Get it on all the main sub-reddits and watch as scalpers panic and start to see threads popping up on here ;)

Last edited:
Associate
Here's hoping they do.... and hopefully they leave it to the last couple of weeks to really twist the knife in.... Buyer has every right to screw over scalpers taking advantage of this situation.

TBH, I'm kind of tempted to go out of my way to buy the items and do this for pure badness :p

Hmm this would be really awful. You are still buying something of value then effectively stealing it.

I am always prepared to burn my eBay / PayPal accounts if I was to get an illegitimate chargeback. I don't believe they have any authority to take it from your bank accounts or cards.

Luckily most of my buyers on Ebay over the years have been pretty reasonable and even the unreasonable ones seem to be happy with a partial/ full refund and sending the items back.

Caporegime
What would make it even sweeter is if mining/bitcoin were to completely crash right now, I'm sure the majority would be rushing to claim a refund to try and cut their losses ;)

Caporegime
What would make it even sweeter is if mining/bitcoin were to completely crash right now, I'm sure the majority would be rushing to claim a refund to try and cut their losses ;)

Nah, most are in it for the long-haul now I think (and hoping on it hitting $200k+ in a few years). I know I would be if I was doing it.

Soldato

It crashed a couple of years ago.. and guess what happened? It went back up.

If it crashes now next month or next year, its not an issue, as long as it comes back up which it likely will. Its a volatile commodity but its volatile in an upwards trajectory.

Caporegime
It crashed a couple of years ago.. and guess what happened? It went back up.

If it crashes now next month or next year, its not an issue, as long as it comes back up which it likely will. Its a volatile commodity but its volatile in an upwards trajectory.

Not remember the last huge crash when the amd 290(X) where the go to mining cards? eBay and the likes of the mm here were flooded with them cards and miners were lucky to even get half of what they had paid back. One guy I used to play bf with in particular had a hard time making his money back as people were offering low ball offers because the cards had been used for minining.

Of course the serious hardcore miners with farms of GPUs for mining won't be so quick to sell but the majority that have maybe 5-10 GPUs for mining are only wanting to try and get rich quick will be quick to try and recoup their losses come the next crash.

If the talks of government getting involved goes ahead (only a question as to when, not if), expect that to hurt it big time and see people pulling out.

Soldato
Not remember the last huge crash when the amd 290(X) where the go to mining cards? eBay and the likes of the mm here were flooded with them cards and miners were lucky to even get half of what they had paid back. One guy I used to play bf with in particular had a hard time making his money back as people were offering low ball offers because the cards had been used for minining.

Of course the serious hardcore miners with farms of GPUs for mining won't be so quick to sell but the majority that have maybe 5-10 GPUs for mining are only wanting to try and get rich quick will be quick to try and recoup their losses come the next crash.

If the talks of government getting involved goes ahead (only a question as to when, not if), expect that to hurt it big time and see people pulling out.

people who pull out are short term idiots. ppl should be investing in btc for the long term, not short term profit, especially if mining!

the short term exponential growth has come and gone now. ppl simply put missed the boat.

ppl for short term are better off buying stocks like icbu, tsnpd, and miti imo.

Soldato
If you missed the news, eBay doesn't work with PP the same way anymore. Buyer can still pay with PP but that goes to eBay not to the seller, then eBay wires money to seller's bank account. No more chargeback directly from PP like this, now they will have to go through eBay, open a proper case etc. Which means protection will work both ways and there will be proper case. Not that you couldn't fight chargeback from PP (even if through your own bank) before, but it was more problematic.
The new payment system will stop one form of abuse, but Ebay's own systems are plenty open to scamming. It won't help with the second scenario of people just outright claiming the item they received wasn't as described, even if Ebay make scammers return something. Ebay issue refunds based on the status of the return label they give you. They don't really know or care what you actually return, so long as the tracking updates. It'd be nice to think that they'll be monitoring for people pulling off these kind of scams and banning those who try to do it again and again, but I have rather low expectations on that front.

Associate
High st trade in place are now paying £1275 for a 3080fe. I can’t resist selling at that price, going to have to get my 1080 back of my nephew and let him use the back up 1050ti until this calms down.

Back
Top Bottom