RC cars

Soldato
Has anyone used Banggood for anything RC related?

I am looking to get a starter car that was recommended almost a year ago on this thread - the WLToys 12428, and Banggood seem to be the best price-wise?

Soldato
Has anyone used Banggood for anything RC related?

I am looking to get a starter car that was recommended almost a year ago on this thread - the WLToys 12428, and Banggood seem to be the best price-wise?

i have heard nothing negative about bang good, just bear in mind shipping from china is gonna take a while and then shipping for any spares :(

might be a bit disheartening to always be slowly waiting on spares.

edit : do you have a budget?

Soldato
started building a kit on monday night and mostly done now :)

a hobao dc1 kit with tamiya dark metallic blue paint and backed by black.

first steps done :

sJN9Xt1.jpg

let there be a gear box? :

1dgmYoX.jpg

woot there is a motor :

Ug92eg5.jpg

oh resembling a chassis :

YgpX9OO.jpg

screw they rods, first time building a crawler/trail truck, had to switch the position of some later in the build lol

https://i.imgur.com/FFETDBn.jpg

getting there :

5gsOLUx.jpg

oh god its that time, i hate building shocks, had to file done a few of the parts as well that fit between the circlips.

1IElivC.jpg

phew that is done, screw they shocks

s4ETkET.jpg

dang now it is really starting to resemble somthing :

OxTaf8x.jpg

let there be shell

zbW0der.jpg

i got my dad to spray the shell as i didnt want to screw it up and he gave a hand on the lights as well as he already built one of these :)

2 sets of cheapo back lights on the back, 4 leds total and a pair of the cheapo front lights 2 leds all soldered into one connection and voila.

X85rqtG.jpg

tAlcASA.jpg

r7GwVeQ.jpg

2 sets of these on the back and 1 set on front powered out my receiver https://www.modelsport.co.uk/fastrax-white-headlights-pair-/rc-car-products/368699

i found a place to sit it after moving a tt-01 out the way

CAuzR6y.jpg
NThY3Wa.jpg

and bingo it is alive https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1fmo-yPunBY

been a enjoyable build but it sounds a bit louder than dads one, i notice my spur has a tight spot, im gonna mess with my mesh and see what happens plus ill have it running alongside dads one later.

it even has a wee dash board you have to apply rpm and speedos to etc, pretty nice kit but wouldnt reccomend as a first kit due to some discrepenacys in the manual especially around the body shell decals, there is a rtr version though.

using a 540 absima b thrust spec 35 turn motor
hobbywing 1080 crawler esc
stock steering servo from a old model kronos 20kg
2s lipos
temporarily using the steering servo from a maverick atom as the gear change ones as my etronix micro servos didnt play with my spectrum rx

been a enjoyable build but i would not reccomend it as a new build unless your used to building crawlers/trail trucks and kits in general :)

edit: dad just bought me a big light bar to put on the front of the roof :)

Last edited:
Soldato
i have heard nothing negative about bang good, just bear in mind shipping from china is gonna take a while and then shipping for any spares :(

might be a bit disheartening to always be slowly waiting on spares.

edit : do you have a budget?

Thanks for the reply - although I've already taken a punt with them and bought the WLToys 144001!

Will take a month to arrive but I'm in no rush!

Soldato
Well colour me impressed!

Ordered a WLToys 144001 RC car from Banggood on the 3rd March - estimated delivery date of 4/4/21.....and it lands 2 days ago! :D

I mean yes, it doesn't have a long enough velcro strip with it to hold the 2600 mAh batteries that it came with, but 5 days delivery is still pretty impressive!!!

Associate
I used to build Tamiya buggies as a kid and want to buy my 3 year old something similarly fun to drive to get him into RC, but for first step I want something preassembled with a decent anologue controller included. That does well on sand.

Any suggestions?

Soldato
I used to build Tamiya buggies as a kid and want to buy my 3 year old something similarly fun to drive to get him into RC, but for first step I want something preassembled with a decent anologue controller included. That does well on sand.

Any suggestions?
Budget?
Modelsport have a few Tamiyas in RTR:

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/index....3&MSAttributeID[88]=1008&MSAttributeID[5]=519

They do decent priced bundles with them for the electrics

You could always treat your self and build it for them... ;)

Lots of cheaper stuff around if it doesn't have to be a Tamiya though

Soldato
Had my first breakage on my FTX Outlaw.

Lower rear sway bar, which to be fair, if you took a look at the car and had to guess which part would break first, I think most people would guess at that part.

Got some metal replacements, over the plastic ones, should last.

Gotta admit though, overall I really love the Outlaw, and out of now many hours, flips, rolls, jumps etc, that is the only breakage, despite everyone on youtube saying everything breaks, all the time, mine has been pretty robust so far.

Soldato
Had my first breakage on my FTX Outlaw.

Lower rear sway bar, which to be fair, if you took a look at the car and had to guess which part would break first, I think most people would guess at that part.

Got some metal replacements, over the plastic ones, should last.

Gotta admit though, overall I really love the Outlaw, and out of now many hours, flips, rolls, jumps etc, that is the only breakage, despite everyone on youtube saying everything breaks, all the time, mine has been pretty robust so far.

good to hear your enjoying it :)

dad fitted a light bar to my dc1 today so now i can see in the dark :)

7ZIpTww.jpg

Associate
Just looking at getting in to this game, had been looking at the wltoys 144001 for a while, but think I would prefer to buy a brushless model RTR out of the box as opposed to modding one.

I've also heard the 144001 breaks quite a bit. So I've been considering an LC racing emb 1h and also an ftx vantage brushless instead. I'm going to say budget up to £200 absolutely no more.

What would be my best options considering my budget? Want something that can preferably run 3s out of the box, even if it only comes with 2s to begin with, to give me an easy upgrade path if I get bored on 2s.

Soldato
I've not used an RC for a long time but used to have a couple of Nitro's years ago.

I'm going to get one this week, and have been struggling to decide for weeks but I think I'm going to go for an Arrma Typhon v3 3S BLX

Before I press the buy button is that a good choice? I was thinking of going for a 6S but maybe the 3s will be OK starting off? (had also been considering the Kraton)

The other thing that has delayed my purchase is having no understanding of Lipo batteries and charging.. I have decided to go for a Spekrum Smart PowerStage bundle which is basically 2 x 3s Lipos and a smart charger.

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/index.php?product_id=1334274

Has anyone used that charger, is it idiot proof?

Anything else I should be considering instead.

Soldato
I've got a Spektrum smart charger - it's pretty good and genuinely idiot proof. I picked it as like you had no idea about lipo when returning to the hobby - but tbh I'm not sure it's worth the premium. Regular / non smart chargers are not hard to use, you typically just attach your balance lead and make sure the charger knows what type of battery youve plugged into it.

I wouldn't bother going 6s to start with - high quality 2s/3s batteries with decent speedo and motor will be plenty quick enough for most things. Look at the the speed of competition spec 1/10th stuff - pretty much all 2s, but go like rockets as they're well setup with the right gearing etc.

Edit: The Associated RC8B or the Xray XB8E would be my pick for 1/8th off-road. Though both of these are kits rather than RTR - they would both hold their own if you want to go club racing down the line.

Last edited:
Soldato
I've got a Spektrum smart charger - it's pretty good and genuinely idiot proof. I picked it as like you had no idea about lipo when returning to the hobby - but tbh I'm not sure it's worth the premium. Regular / non smart chargers are not hard to use, you typically just attach your balance lead and make sure the charger knows what type of battery youve plugged into it.

I wouldn't bother going 6s to start with - high quality 2s/3s batteries with decent speedo and motor will be plenty quick enough for most things. Look at the the speed of competition spec 1/10th stuff - pretty much all 2s, but go like rockets as they're well setup with the right gearing etc.

Edit: The Associated RC8B or the Xray XB8E would be my pick for 1/8th off-road. Though both of these are kits rather than RTR - they would both hold their own if you want to go club racing down the line.

Cheers, I really want an RTR at this stage, doubt I’ll be going club racing it’s just for a bit of fun and a little bashing I guess. That’s why I struggled deciding what to get as I’m not exactly sure what I’ll use it for and need, most of the time will be on an old disused raf base with old runways etc. Which is why I thought maybe something more off road like the kraton but until I try something I won’t know.

Just thought of one more thing, if I get a different brand later (fancy giving a corally a go) can I still use the batteries I get now?

Soldato
Cheers, I really want an RTR at this stage, doubt I’ll be going club racing it’s just for a bit of fun and a little bashing I guess. That’s why I struggled deciding what to get as I’m not exactly sure what I’ll use it for and need, most of the time will be on an old disused raf base with old runways etc. Which is why I thought maybe something more off road like the kraton but until I try something I won’t know.

Just thought of one more thing, if I get a different brand later (fancy giving a corally a go) can I still use the batteries I get now?
Battery sizes are largely standard - so should be fine.

The cars speedo is the limiting factor - not all of them will do 3s+ - and the connectors might be different so you may need an adapter (E.G not all speedos will have a spectrum battery connector - so you just need something to go from the bullet connectors on the actual battery to whatever it is your speedo has - or swap the connector on the speedo).

Soldato
the whole horizon eco system is a bit meh you cant just change a connector for example as they have a chip in them for the smart charging... and then you can only buy batteries that have that chip on the connector....

i use this charger https://www.modelsport.co.uk/skyrc-d100-v2-ac-dc-dual-balance-charger/rc-car-products/421359 and i can use it it to charge any battery i can imagine, i can be charging a 4s for my kronos while on the second channel i can be charging a small 2s battery for my mini scx24

only prob with that charger is it needs a dc input if you want to charge 4s or above batteries at high ampage but it charges 2 2s batterys at up to 10 amps on each channel, think its 50 watt a channel unless you use a dc power supply which makes it 100 watts per channel.

all you need to do when connecting a lipo is connect battery then connect balance lead if your batttery for example has 2 cells you select 2s and if itis 5700mah you simply select 5.7 amps it is that simple :)

the charger i linked doesnt come with much leads, order leads suitable for your batteries if you go that route :)

Soldato
the whole horizon eco system is a bit meh you cant just change a connector for example as they have a chip in them for the smart charging... and then you can only buy batteries that have that chip on the connector....

i use this charger https://www.modelsport.co.uk/skyrc-d100-v2-ac-dc-dual-balance-charger/rc-car-products/421359 and i can use it it to charge any battery i can imagine, i can be charging a 4s for my kronos while on the second channel i can be charging a small 2s battery for my mini scx24

only prob with that charger is it needs a dc input if you want to charge 4s or above batteries at high ampage but it charges 2 2s batterys at up to 10 amps on each channel, think its 50 watt a channel unless you use a dc power supply which makes it 100 watts per channel.

all you need to do when connecting a lipo is connect battery then connect balance lead if your batttery for example has 2 cells you select 2s and if itis 5700mah you simply select 5.7 amps it is that simple :)

the charger i linked doesnt come with much leads, order leads suitable for your batteries if you go that route :)

I've had a look on youtube this morning and charging does look pretty straight forward, I do like the fact the smart batteries will discharge automatically to storage voltage though, handy as I'm sure I'd forget.

Modelsport to a package with with battery and charger but I don't like the look of the battery. The spec sheet for the Typhon says hardcase only for the Lipobattery yet the one Modelsport has in the bundle does not look like it has a hardcase.

OMG this is so so confusing and hard to make a decision, I've decided on the RC but the battery thing is a nightmare.

Also.... was going to order a Bat Safe:

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/index.php?product_id=1335008

Assume these are pretty good?

Soldato
I've had a look on youtube this morning and charging does look pretty straight forward, I do like the fact the smart batteries will discharge automatically to storage voltage though, handy as I'm sure I'd forget.

Modelsport to a package with with battery and charger but I don't like the look of the battery. The spec sheet for the Typhon says hardcase only for the Lipobattery yet the one Modelsport has in the bundle does not look like it has a hardcase.

OMG this is so so confusing and hard to make a decision, I've decided on the RC but the battery thing is a nightmare.

Also.... was going to order a Bat Safe:

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/index.php?product_id=1335008

Assume these are pretty good?

I just use a couple of old biscuit tins, £50 for a box :eek: Once the shops open up get an old WW2 ammo box from an antiques shop, look cool and do the job :cool:

Back
Top Bottom