• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Could the GA100 be very bad news for miners using gaming cards?

Man of Honour
Last edited:
Soldato
Permabanned
Can you elaborate?

Miners seem to be paying £1-2.5k for 3080s and 3090s that will do 90-120MH/s. Why would a card going 150 need to be under a grand?

Because it has much much less resale value and using rough RRP values.

If I could buy 2 X 3070s instead for the same price and the same hash rate the dedicated mining card is not worth it. Imo

Mining bubble bursts I can sell the 3070 to a gamer. Mining bubble bursts I have an expensive paperweight with a mining card.

Not sure dedicated mining cards have ever taken off in the past, that said my knowledge is restricted to casual miners and small time mining rigs.

Associate
Because it has much much less resale value and using rough RRP values.

If I could buy 2 X 3070s instead for the same price and the same hash rate the dedicated mining card is not worth it. Imo

Mining bubble bursts I can sell the 3070 to a gamer. Mining bubble bursts I have an expensive paperweight with a mining card.

Not sure dedicated mining cards have ever taken off in the past, that said my knowledge is restricted to casual miners and small time mining rigs.

If Nvidia manage to nuke the hashrate of any future cards without releasing drivers that bypass it, miners may not have any choice.

Not that 2x3070s will achieve 150MH/s anyway, but when 2x 4070s are only doing half the hash rate, they are going to be a lot less appealing.

Man of Honour
OP
If Nvidia manage to nuke the hashrate of any future cards without releasing drivers that bypass it, miners may not have any choice.

Not that 2x3070s will achieve 150MH/s anyway, but when 2x 4070s are only doing half the hash rate, they are going to be a lot less appealing.

Nuking the hashrate may be one of the reasons for the upcoming 3080 Ti where it can be done in hardware.

I can see the 3080 Ti replacing both the 3080 and 3090 as the performance difference between the two latter cards is quite small anyway.

Associate
Nuking the hashrate may be one of the reasons for the upcoming 3080 Ti where it can be done in hardware.

I can see the 3080 Ti replacing both the 3080 and 3090 as the performance difference between the two latter cards is quite small anyway.

I definitely think the 3080Ti will be limited. Not sure about it replacing the existing cards, I imagine it'll be a 3080 with a little more core performance and 12-16gb vram.

There's no reason not to have a 3090 when there are productivity users than can use the 24gb and idiots like me will buy them, especially while there's a card shortage.

Soldato
Kopite rumour... AKA FAKE NEWS... If the picture is real that card only works in a server rack that has high power fans as the card has no fan. Server gear that's all that is and 3 Nvlink slots says it's a Tesla compute card for a server. That's a £10k+ card right there, as the A6000 is £5k+.

Miners would never buy that as it's a £10k+ paper weight when mining crashes, so why would Nvidia go threw trying to sell a Tesla as a mining card that they know has no real market for such an expensive card that has only one use and even if Nvidia halved the price as a mining card, what stops people wanting a highend compute card buying the cheaper mining card instead of the Tesla, Nvidia can't block it as we have seen.

Kopite :rolleyes: clearly knows nothing about server gear because he's a kid in his mums basement guessing rubbish.

tenor.gif

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
I definitely think the 3080Ti will be limited. Not sure about it replacing the existing cards, I imagine it'll be a 3080 with a little more core performance and 12-16gb vram.

There's no reason not to have a 3090 when there are productivity users than can use the 24gb and idiots like me will buy them, especially while there's a card shortage.

If they get rid of the 3090 it leaves room for a full fat GA102 Titan that can fill the above situation

Soldato
If they get rid of the 3090 it leaves room for a full fat GA102 Titan that can fill the above situation

The 3090 will be the only one with NVlink in the 3000 series and the Titan if one ever comes out, I think they have killed the Titan range this time and sending people to buy the A6000. 3080ti will not have a NVlink and again will have limited VRAM as it's what Nvidia class as a gaming card only and the 3090 as their so called creator card minus Titan drivers. Will have to see but I don't see a Titan this time round and if they do release one it will basically be a A6000 (36GB/48GB VRAM) with nerfed quadro drivers aka titan drivers and priced around £3000-£3500.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom