• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Could the GA100 be very bad news for miners using gaming cards?

Caporegime
If you bought a 3xxx series at rrp, why would you be worried about recouping money on it? Most have made back the new to used difference within weeks/months by mining.

Caporegime

40GB A100 - $15K - 160Mhs

It could still be used as a work station card, you would just use your motherboards display out give this doesn't have one, but i don't know how many are willing to pay thousands for a used ex mining card that doesn't have a display out.

It would take 3 years at current rates for this to pay for its self, IMO you would have to be monumentally stupid to take this sort of risk, you're not going to get your money back, you're going to lose thousands.

W0gtKJg.png

Soldato
Always makes me wonder when people who mine cash out. When they say "oh yes its made me £600 in 5 months" but you dont actually have the money in your bank account so when do you decide to convert it to real money as only then is it actually made money for you.

Man of Honour
OP
I meant in terms of why this new mining only card would make any difference as the OP implied.

We need to see what configuration and price a possible GA100 card has for mining before jumping to conclusions.

If NVidia wanted to I don't think they would have much trouble making a GA100 mining card for about the same price as a FE 3090 or less.

The GA100 die is about the same physical size as used in older cards like the 2080 Ti, RTX Titan and Titan V. I know the GA100 is on 7nm but by now the yields must be reasonable.

If NVidia give the card the bare minimum required for mining with other components on the PCB I don't think it is unreasonable to see the cards selling for around £1500, this would be a serious threat to gaming cards used for mining.

Soldato
If Nvidia wanted they could sell this mining card for 20% of the current a100 price. There is no way it's costs them 10k to make this card

would be interesting if Nvidia also decided to launch a new Titan based on the A100 using HBM2 memory - it would have 20% more cores than the 3090 and 50% more memory bandwidth

and FYI Kaap, this wouldn't even be "full fat". We know from leaks that the A100 isn't even full fat, early last year during engineering testing, Nvidia built full fat cards that contained about another 2000 Cuda cores over the A100, there were even some benchmarks leaked and then it just disappeared when the A100 launched

if you don't belive me https://www.notebookcheck.net/Evide...Ampere-GPU-appears-on-Geekbench.455285.0.html

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
If Nvidia wanted they could sell this mining card for 20% of the current a100 price. There is no way it's costs them 10k to make this card

would be interesting if Nvidia also decided to launch a new Titan based on the A100 using HBM2 memory - it would have 20% more cores than the 3090 and 50% more memory bandwidth

and FYI Kaap, this wouldn't even be "full fat". We know from leaks that the A100 isn't even full fat, early last year during engineering testing, Nvidia built full fat cards that contained another 2000 Cuda cores over the A100, there were even some benchmarks leaked and then it just disappeared when the A100 launched

Titan would not be based on GA100 as the chip would be useless for Ray Tracing.

Man of Honour
OP
Just had another thought.

NVidia using GA100 for mining would give them the chance to use up chips that did not make the grade for the professional cards. This could make/save them a lot of money on chips that would normally go to waste.

Soldato
We have more details on this card

Its called the 220HX
Its hash rate is 200-210MH/s
The retail price is $2999usd

now combine this with the upcoming 3070ti and 3080ti which has the mining limiters and the EOL of the 3080 and 3090 - as a total package this could kill off desktop gaming GPU mining, provided Nvidia can make enough of the 220HX to maintain mining demand

Soldato

Its called the 220HX

now combine this with the upcoming 3070ti and 3080ti which has the mining limiters and the EOL of the 3080 and 3090 - as a total package this could kill off desktop gaming GPU mining, provided Nvidia can make enough of the 220HX to maintain mining demand

Details from where ? Nvidia or the fake news/clickbait mill ?

Please add a source for the information.

Edit: only source I see is the same usual suspect Kopite spreading the usual rubbish, that's not a real source that's a troll :rolleyes:. https://twitter.com/kopite7kimi/status/1373609304561963013

Last edited:
Caporegime
We need to see what configuration and price a possible GA100 card has for mining before jumping to conclusions.

If NVidia wanted to I don't think they would have much trouble making a GA100 mining card for about the same price as a FE 3090 or less.

The GA100 die is about the same physical size as used in older cards like the 2080 Ti, RTX Titan and Titan V. I know the GA100 is on 7nm but by now the yields must be reasonable.

If NVidia give the card the bare minimum required for mining with other components on the PCB I don't think it is unreasonable to see the cards selling for around £1500, this would be a serious threat to gaming cards used for mining.

If you already bought a card at rrp (especially a 3xxx series), then what is the threat? Most will make back the difference is new vs regular used price in a few weeks from mining.

If you bought at 2 or 3 times the rrp then yes it coypd be worrying but that was always a massive risk with no guarantee of return on investment .

Man of Honour
OP
If you already bought a card at rrp (especially a 3xxx series), then what is the threat? Most will make back the difference is new vs regular used price in a few weeks from mining.

If you bought at 2 or 3 times the rrp then yes it coypd be worrying but that was always a massive risk with no guarantee of return on investment .

Most people who have a single card they use for mining don't have a problem as its main use is most likely for gaming.

Where it gets interesting is situations where people are using loads of cards for just mining.

Associate

Its called the 220HX

Still cheaper and greater hashrate from buying two 3090s, unless they kill it off.

Sounds like a good card at a decent price point, though!

Soldato
Will nvidia ever really kill off mining on any of their gpus?

right now they cannot manufacture enough gpus to satisfy demand for any business that is the perfect situation to be in you literally can sell every single item you make at a huge margin no matter what your throwing out the door I think they will put this into production only because they can milk another top tier in the product stack and sell every one they can put out at an even greater margin.

Back
Top Bottom