Buzzing sound from PC

Associate
PC makes a buzzing sound (it's on a glass table )
If i lift the front up, it stops.
Would that indicate the HDD causing it ?

Before I think about buying an m.2 and replacing it. Should I try the rubber band trick of putting it round the HDD ??

Soldato
Would that indicate the HDD causing it ?

Very possible and the bungee/rubber band trick should help if this was the cause.

However, you could try disabling case fans and set the CPU cooler to only ramp up at 70 degrees and then test again at idle to rule out fan resonance.

Associate
OP
Put a few more rubber bands around the HDD and it's pretty much stopped buzzing. Still does it a bit, and stops if I lift the PC up at the front.
If I run out of space on my HDD I may invest in a 2TB SSD instead. However paying over £100 just to stop a small buzzing sound is a bit silly.

I wouldn't be comfy disabling the fans at the front as they are connected to an AIO for my CPU

If i could prop the case up at the front it would help. But no idea what to use

After doing some googling it appears a few others have the same problem with this case, so it could just be that.
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/forums/threads/fractal-meshify-c-low-hum.18899037/

Last edited:
Soldato
I wouldn't be comfy disabling the fans at the front as they are connected to an AIO for my CPU
Set them to minimum - if you haven't tried this already - just to see if they are a contributing factor.

That said, the type noise you're describing tends to be a result of a conventional drive. You could try wedging padding (gently) in between the HDD cage and the HDD cage supports- to limit vibration even further. Or, you could try placing sponge/cloth, cut to size, under the feet of the case - as this sometimes will absorb vibrations. A quick test would be to sit the case on a towel.

Associate
OP
I've found blu tak to be really useful to minimise vibration. Same with hi fi stuff

I have black-tac which is the same as blu-tac but stronger. However it didn't help much. I'll try again now that I have rubber bands around the HDD

Associate
Put a few more rubber bands around the HDD and it's pretty much stopped buzzing. Still does it a bit, and stops if I lift the PC up at the front.
If I run out of space on my HDD I may invest in a 2TB SSD instead. However paying over £100 just to stop a small buzzing sound is a bit silly.

If i could prop the case up at the front it would help. But no idea what to use

After doing some googling it appears a few others have the same problem with this case, so it could just be that.
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/forums/threads/fractal-meshify-c-low-hum.18899037/

Since I got my new build, I ended up giving up with mechanical hard drives purely because of the vibration. Both with my new and old machine and a hybrid drive, the vibration was so high that it resonated the case and went through the cupboard it was in and through to the floorboards and could be heard on the floor below my room! There was a solution to this and that is using thick foam tape on the sides of the hard drive tray. This allows then to slide in and out easily while having no room to wobble and vibrate as the foam is pressing firmly against it. It really helped dampen the vibration. With my new build, the case has a more open grill on the front, so i hear the noise of the hard drive anyway that can't be blocked. So I'm soon going to buy an SSD to replace it.

Associate
OP
Here's an odd one.
PC Went unusually quiet for a few minutes. I opened up an app on my PC and then I heard the HDD " booting up " as it does when you turn the PC on. Then the noise resumed, any idea ?

It is quite annoying but doesn't warrant spending money to replace it with an SSD, as I generally have the TV on in the background when using the PC it's barely noticable

Associate
OP
No. It could be the HDD but it could also be one of the fans. Even the PSU fan. Just put a rubber mat underneath.

You may be on to something. Read my previous post #11

From what I remember the corsair PSU only turns on when it needs to, hence the noise potentially ?

It went silent. Then I opened up an app and it started again. Sounded like when I boot up my PC during the BIOS

Suppose I could disconnect the HDD and see if it continues. This won't cause any data loss or corruption will it ?

Last edited:
Associate
Not totally sure if this will be the case for you, but it could be the graphics card. My graphics card literally sounds like a mechanical hard drive starting up and cutting out when the fans turn on and off. I hate this new standard that seems to be around now. It would honestly be quieter just spinning the whole time at the lowest RPM. On my card when at a certain steady temperature, it turns on the fans, then fans have to compensate by turning on and off forever until the temperature increases or decreases. I found it so annoying that i started using a program to make them run the whole time.

Soldato
It's the HDD
I disconnected it and the PC went silent

Do be aware that by putting your PC on a glass table you are effectively making a speaker. You need some sort of noise dampening if you are going to continue to use the HDD with the PC on that table. Or you could replace the HDD with a SSD or NVME drive.

Associate
OP
Do be aware that by putting your PC on a glass table you are effectively making a speaker. You need some sort of noise dampening if you are going to continue to use the HDD with the PC on that table. Or you could replace the HDD with a SSD or NVME drive.

Yes. NVME it is then.

Back
Top Bottom