**The Mental Health Thread**

Soldato
Coming off my antidepressant is bloody hard, feel like crap 24/7. Down to the last 8mg of my antidepressant and I'm not sure I can get it any lower.
Any suggestions?

Soldato
Seem like I'll be joining your ranks soon. Lockdown and working from home has been pretty tough, while googling "why can't I concentrate" I read or saw something a couple of weeks back that described what ADHD is and I just thought "that's me". I did an online test and scored about 80%ish for having ADHD so I made an appointment with my GP, he asked a few questions and said "yeah, I agree it sounds like you have ADHD, I'm going to refer you", he walked me through the options for getting the assessment via the NHS (2-3 years), private (around £700) and a mix between the two of finding an NHS approved private clinic that the NHS will pay for. I did the research and came to the decision that Psychiatry-UK referral via the right to choose is the best option. I let my GP know on Friday and he sent the referral that day!

It's just a waiting game now and I've been watching so many videos explaining what ADHD is and how to cope with having it, they all explain me perfectly to a point that if I was a betting person I'd put money on me having it.
I'm in a bit of a confused state right now, on one hand, it's like a lightbulb moment and it explains so much about my daily struggles, on the other hand, I'm confused about how I'm in my current job and have a bit of imposter syndrome, I'm 39 years old and a pretty successful senior consultant in a consultancy, my colleagues all respect me, how did I get in this position when I should be really bad at it? I think the answer to the latter is that I've just done everything in an anxiety-driven rush at the last minute but the doubt is still there. I just need the assessment so I can start working out where I go from here, thankfully my CEO is a really good friend and I've worked with my manager and director for years so they're really supportive, basically, they'll support me in any way possible which is amazing.

I also feel a bit let down that the image of someone with ADHD is like some kid that drank a litre of tartrazine laced cola and is cartwheeling around the room, when in fact while some people are like that the arguably most life-ruining symptoms of not being able to concentrate or remember to do things are ignored and not spoken of, then again cartwheeling kids sell newspapers and are easy to laugh at in sitcoms, not being able to concentrate isn't so exciting! If more people knew this maybe I or someone I knew would have worked it out sooner!

Last edited:
Soldato
Have you always had these now apparent issues or have they come about due to lockdown? because I'm sure if you ask most here that work from home that they will say their concentration is pretty terrible at the moment. Everyone's bored, not much to do really apart from work, and a bit of exercise!

If you feel you have always had these issues then fair enough, but id be careful to differentiate between your typical 'normal' and how your reacting due to lockdown.

Associate
I also feel a bit let down that the image of someone with ADHD is like some kid that drank a litre of tartrazine laced cola and is cartwheeling around the room, when in fact while some people are like that the arguably most life-ruining symptoms of not being able to concentrate or remember to do things are ignored and not spoken of, then again cartwheeling kids sell newspapers and are easy to laugh at in sitcoms, not being able to concentrate isn't so exciting! If more people knew this maybe I or someone I knew would have worked it out sooner!

I agree with this, the ADHD poster child for many including Drs and teachers sadly is that angry hyperactive fidgety kid.

Which is why so many people go under the radar and struggle until **** hits the fan and they get that light bulb moment of this isn’t normal...often in adulthood.
It may even be masked by other conditions such as depression

Can’t believe you’re GP was so straight forward and understanding. Took me several appointments to even get referred to NHS.

I went private due to huge waiting list and found about the mixed option after.
Been trying to get referred to PUK since last year to to get rediagnosed since NHS won’t accept my private diagnosis.
Nothing but hell my Surgery just won’t budge and basically said I need to wait for NHS.

Im currently burning and crashing with ADHD, current Medication useless so
I’m getting nothing done and it’s only amplified by the current situation.
Changing medication privately is stupidly expensive crap all round.

Last edited:
Soldato
Have you always had these now apparent issues or have they come about due to lockdown? because I'm sure if you ask most here that work from home that they will say their concentration is pretty terrible at the moment. Everyone's bored, not much to do really apart from work, and a bit of exercise!

If you feel you have always had these issues then fair enough, but id be careful to differentiate between your typical 'normal' and how your reacting due to lockdown.
Yeah, I've done a lot of reflection and spoken to my parents and brothers, we all agree that I've been like this since I was a kid, I seem to fit in the common mould of being intelligent enough to breeze through school and GCSEs, where coursework started to come in during A-levels I started to struggle and then university was an unmitigated disaster, changing course 2 times, then going part-time and taking 7 years to get a degree. I was always a daydreamer too, I was also always behind in exercise books and had to take them home over the summer to catch up, which didn't work as I'd just sit at the dining room table trying and failing to do anything in the workbook, not paying attention, being obsessed with something for a month or so then dropping and forgetting about it. As an adult I've had more hobbies than I can shake a stick at and I've got half-finished projects everywhere. Lockdown wasn't the start, just the straw that broke the camel's back, I'm older and more self-aware too so finally started to think "what's going wrong here, I can't just be lazy?".
I agree with this, the ADHD poster child for many including Drs and teachers sadly is that angry hyperactive fidgety kid.

Which is why so many people go under the radar and struggle until **** hits the fan and they get that light bulb moment of this isn’t normal...often in adulthood.
It may even be masked by other conditions such as depression

Can’t believe you’re GP was so straight forward and understanding. Took me several appointments to even get referred to NHS.

I went private due to huge waiting list and found about the mixed option after.
Been trying to get referred to PUK since last year to to get rediagnosed since NHS won’t accept my private diagnosis.
Nothing but hell my Surgery just won’t budge and basically said I need to wait for NHS.
Yeah, it sounds like I got really lucky in having a good GP, I did leave out that I actually spoke to a GP in my employer's healthcare scheme, he agreed but because ADHD is a preexisting condition it isn't covered by my private health insurance so he passed his notes to my GP. The GP I spoke to at my NHS surgery is a recently trained locum so I'm guessing didn't have preconceived ideas of what ADHD should be and is more open to looking into this kind of thing rather than being set in his ways from years of doing things the same way...maybe!
It sucks that the NHS is so bad at mental health, how many millions are lost to lost productivity and picking up the pieces when things go wrong? It seems like a no brainer (no pun intended)!

Last edited:
Soldato
Not sure if it belongs in this thread but how does one deal with anxiety?
I seemingly tend to completely overthink this and always think the worst in situations. I can’t help it either.

even if someone doesn’t message me back for ages after reading it I worry that I’ve said something wrong etc..

It can’t be normal behaviour I’m sure.

Soldato
The whole point of messages is so you don't have to reply straight away. My phone pings, if I am cleaning, I sometimes look at it (depending if I deem my hands to be 'clean' or not) and unless its urgent I wont reply straight away. I am sure it goes for many other situations where people do that.

I am definitely an over thinker and will often think of the worst situations - often playing things out in my mind. It's such a waste of time, when the things I worry about arise, 99% of the time I was worrying about nothing. I am better now and I tell myself to stop being so silly and try to think of something else.

Man of Honour
Not sure if it belongs in this thread but how does one deal with anxiety?
I seemingly tend to completely overthink this and always think the worst in situations. I can’t help it either.

even if someone doesn’t message me back for ages after reading it I worry that I’ve said something wrong etc..

It can’t be normal behaviour I’m sure.
As arse-backwards and stupidly simple as it sounds, you have to choose to stop worrying and caring so much... and then actively turn your mind off.

If you don’t force yourself to do this, your overly-cautious mind will force you to endure the emotions associated with the worst outcome of any possible choice (even if those outcomes never actually materialise).

I suffer from over thinking / worrying and it’s effectively a ‘mind glitch’. You have to lock that down, it’s not helpful.

Soldato
I've gone back on to Sertraline after not taking any meds for 3 years. I recognized things were like they were back then and reluctantly called my Dr to tell him. Hopefully I can repeat as before and just use for 3-6 months then come off it again.
No bad side effects like the first time I took them, just a slight bit of nausea on first day and dry mouth continuing. Only on day two though.

Soldato
As arse-backwards and stupidly simple as it sounds, you have to choose to stop worrying and caring so much... and then actively turn your mind off.

If you don’t force yourself to do this, your overly-cautious mind will force you to endure the emotions associated with the worst outcome of any possible choice (even if those outcomes never actually materialise).

I suffer from over thinking / worrying and it’s effectively a ‘mind glitch’. You have to lock that down, it’s not helpful.

Yeah, I think I know how to do it but I can’t physically bring myself to do it. I think I’m just putting way to much pressure on myself in regards to it. I’ve tried hard this weekend to not let it bother me but then I get into a spiral and start again.

i think I just have serious self confidence issues (ex wasn’t exactly complimentary in our time together and I was married to her) and now I just struggle to think that anyone can like me. The person in question says she does and then can go hours without messaging which is when it sends my mind in a spin.

Soldato
I've gone back on to Sertraline after not taking any meds for 3 years. I recognized things were like they were back then and reluctantly called my Dr to tell him. Hopefully I can repeat as before and just use for 3-6 months then come off it again.
No bad side effects like the first time I took them, just a slight bit of nausea on first day and dry mouth continuing. Only on day two though.

I didn't find Sertraline that helpful, GP tried me on Escitalopram and that's worked a lot better for me. We're all different, I take a pretty low dose of it which is enough to keep things steady.

Associate
Coming off my antidepressant is bloody hard, feel like crap 24/7. Down to the last 8mg of my antidepressant and I'm not sure I can get it any lower.
Any suggestions?

So the following is just my experiences not medical advice.

But having come off SSRI a few times here's some tips. Once your down to very low amount you can start taking every other day. Wait to stabilise could be a few weeks and then go every third day or stop. I found however much I taper there's always a cold turkey zone. For the first couple of weeks I get weird buzzy feeling and brain zaps. After a week or so when those weird sensation are at their highest i take a small micro dose, it massively lessens those sensation and the withdrawal continues on without back tracking. The hard part is month 1 to 3 when I'm physically fine but lacking serotonin and there's insane anger inside. It feels like it's never going to stop but I just remind myself it's not real and eventually rebalance around month 4 to 6

Associate
I didn't find Sertraline that helpful, GP tried me on Escitalopram and that's worked a lot better for me. We're all different, I take a pretty low dose of it which is enough to keep things steady.
Escitalopram has worked well for me to. It's the same as citalopram but 2nd gen it's the isolated S side of the stereo isomer . So kind of like a more pure version

Found it easier to come off then citalopram as well, and much easier then sertraline

Soldato
So the following is just my experiences not medical advice.

But having come off SSRI a few times here's some tips. Once your down to very low amount you can start taking every other day. Wait to stabilise could be a few weeks and then go every third day or stop. I found however much I taper there's always a cold turkey zone. For the first couple of weeks I get weird buzzy feeling and brain zaps. After a week or so when those weird sensation are at their highest i take a small micro dose, it massively lessens those sensation and the withdrawal continues on without back tracking. The hard part is month 1 to 3 when I'm physically fine but lacking serotonin and there's insane anger inside. It feels like it's never going to stop but I just remind myself it's not real and eventually rebalance around month 4 to 6

Thanks, I'm currently in cold turkey now few mild brain zaps, awful morning depression though with a general flu feeling.

Dunno what my options are going forward honestly don't think I can stand another antidepressant. I'm still tapering my valium and I can use a dose of pregablin twice a week.

Going to try meditation, good healthy food, and some exercise. Couple of stone over weigh right now so hopefully going to shift it this year some how. Exercise makes me anxious though so it'll just be slow walking.

Soldato
Struggling big time again. Came off my venlafaxine (225mg) cold turkey and had few problems with that but now I'm back to being unable to get refreshing sleep, tired all day, constant bouts of tearing up but not actually crying (almost like I can't?), physical health problems that are likely exacerbated by poor mental health and I'm just at my wits end I guess?

Been off work for 5 months now but not sure when I might get back as everytime I make some progress I go back several steps. Sick pay runs out soon so yay SSP and nowt else. Glad I've basically no bills.

Struggling to do anything. Chores, hobbies, reading or anything that requires focus? Nah not happening. Just wanna give up tbh.

Soldato
@Psymonkee Sleep is something that I think is key to mental wellbeing. One thing that works for me (e.g. if my sleep pattern becomes 'abnormal') is to try to skip a nights sleep, and the following day stay awake until late evening, so that you feel completely exhausted and want nothing more than to sleep.

If you head is full of thoughts, sometimes going for a walk for about an hour either alone, or with someone you get on well with can help to relax and clear your mind. Perhaps a longer walk if you feel like as though you have an excess of energy.

If your mood improves at all, you could try setting small goals for each day, maybe reading a novel for a couple of hours etc, but I would probably just focus on things you enjoy doing. Don't know if this helps, but good luck.

Back
Top Bottom