• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Graphics card prices?

Man of Honour
To be honest I've been sat here waiting for ages just to get a 3080 to stick in another box I can just sit and run in the corner instead of using my day to day computer.

Thats what my old 7 is doing. Just sits there doing its thing... I game etc on the 6800xt so when im not gaming / working then I fire that up as well.

Soldato
MSRP for 6800 is 529.99 / 6800XT is 599.99 / 6900XT is 1099.99 - everything above that is ripoff and scalping from retailer side.

OFFICIAL QUESTION FOR OCUK!!!!!! - WHY OTHER STORES DO NOT SCALP AND INFLATE PRICES OF PS5 AND XBOX SERIES X - which have same demand as GPU's and same time WHY EVERY STORE INFLATE THE PRICES OF GPU's and COMPUTER PARTS including YOU?
Simple question - PLEASE answer that with genuine answer - we do not need excuses any more, just the truth - at least have some dignity and show some respect to your clients.
It's pretty much certain, to be a reseller of the PS5 and Xbox Series X direct from Sony and MS you would have to sign an agreement not to sell over the MSRP and this isn't a new thing every console launch going back to at least the NES has had this.

There is no such MSRP on most GPUs.

Associate
But that £12 is dropping week on week, I think a lot of people buying cards now will be luck to make a positive ROI. It's a bit speculative but kind of supported by network hashrate date

What I meant by this is that if you get £12 mining this week it will be £11 next week, 10, 9, 8 the weeks after. Not necessarily those number, but looking at the nicehash calculator for the 3060Ti which was earning $7/8 per 24 ohurs at the beginning of the month is now down to about $5

Associate
Did you hear Sports Direct are getting in on the GPU retail market?

They are releasing a special 3060 Mike Ashley edition - comes with black and white detailing and won't leave your PCIe slot once installed no matter how hard you pull.

Soldato
More price increases coming

both ASUs and MSI just completed their investor conference calls during which both of them said that GPU supply will remain an issue until next year and due to this they are both planning another graphics cards price bump soon

Associate
More price increases coming

both ASUs and MSI just completed their investor conference calls during which both of them said that GPU supply will remain an issue until next year and due to this they are both planning another graphics cards price bump soon

Read this in a couple of places, it's definitely disappointing. Still holding out me though. :(

Soldato
Nvidia Gpu chips looking more and more like a manufacturing yields problem said this from the start last year like so many have. Nvidia are just full of BS

https://www.techpowerup.com/280147/asus-lower-yields-upstream-responsible-for-lack-of-nvidia-chips

If the yield is that bad, why is that 3080 is nowhere to be found? 3080 stock entirely depends on yield of making the 3090 (high yield on 3090 = no 3080 stock, low yield on 3090 = lots of 3080 stock to sell)

Maybe Samsung/Nvidia has limited supply of the million other components that fit on the PCB like their exclusive GDDR6x vram???

Associate
If the yield is that bad, why is that 3080 is nowhere to be found? 3080 stock entirely depends on yield of making the 3090 (high yield on 3090 = no 3080 stock, low yield on 3090 = lots of 3080 stock to sell)

Maybe Samsung/Nvidia has limited supply of the million other components that fit on the PCB like their exclusive GDDR6x vram???

Two factors in play really

Firstly the 3080 is the best mining GPU to make the most money the quickest. There is no doubt that 99% of 3080's being made are going straight from suppliers to miners and not getting anywhere near retailers.

Secondly and this is more of a personal theory. After the debacle that was the 2080ti Nvidia knew there was no way in hell people would this time round pay £1400 odd pounds for a 3090 when they were offering a 3080 at around £700. So they reduce supply of the 3080 and produce large numbers of the 3090. People then fed up of waiting and trying to buy a 3080 and eventually give up and fork out for a 3090. Then woop woop for Nvidia they have managed to get people buying a card for £1400 again!!

Ultimately when you have no competition you can do crap like this!

Associate
With all this doom and gloom news its not surprising people are just paying the current prices which are already marked up for various reasons, but then made worse by scalpers.
It feels like I am so fortunate now that I have got lucky with my 3090fe card. However there is no way I would have paid this much for it if I was not able to mine with it to offset the cost along side the higher resale value of my old card.
Even my spare/work PC that has a Sapphire RX570 8GB that I bought for £117~ish back in June 2019 from OCUK is probably worth almost double what I paid brand new. Unfortunately I gave the box away along with my old HD7770 Ghz edition card that it replaced to a work colleague, thinking the value will only go down. I thought the RX570 will be around £60 by the time I come to sell/replace it. As I do not have the box anymore I am stuck with it for now.

Back
Top Bottom