• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

30xx Series Founders Edition

Soldato
Have a look at this video.

It's pretty simple really and you're unlikely to damage anything. Most of your time will be spent tweaking it to get it where you want. The only tool you need is MSI Afterburner.

Soldato
Can someone recommend a good tutorial for undervolting and the tools required ? I’ve never done it before and obviously don’t want to screw up my PC. Thanks.

you only need MSI afterburner or similar, the voltage curve portion specifically. You cannot screw your pc up in any serious way using just these tools. Anything you applying via MSI AB will be within predefined bios limits of the card which you cannot pass and are pretty restrictive. Worst case you crash to desktop or something. Here is a written guide https://www.reddit.com/r/IndianGami...rful_rtx_3070rtx_3000_ampere_undervolt_guide/

someone just posted video guide above so removed that link.

It will be trial and error finding the sweet spot of your specific silicon.

Associate
Have a look at this video.

It's pretty simple really and you're unlikely to damage anything. Most of your time will be spent tweaking it to get it where you want. The only tool you need is MSI Afterburner.

Thanks, I need to look at this also. So far I have used MSI afterburner for mining setup only.

Soldato
Can someone explain to me.

I set curve as per instructions to 1800 at 850mv

But when playing e.g. Doom Eternal (running around 230fps) it says ingame its at 1815mhz??? Shouldnt it be at 1800?

Seems to be running around 70oC max 300wats and 42% fan speed around 44%

Caporegime
Can someone explain to me.

I set curve as per instructions to 1800 at 850mv

But when playing e.g. Doom Eternal (running around 230fps) it says ingame its at 1815mhz??? Shouldnt it be at 1800?

Seems to be running around 70oC max 300wats and 42% fan speed around 44%

Mins does an extra 15mhz too. Not sure why.

Soldato
ok ive worked out why it says 1815...... its when you change the power limit % from 100 to 115........ I guess that it gives it a bit of a boost by 15% ot something

Soldato
Also if running with Afterburner settings as per video it runs at 1800mhz solid

Default it is jumping around between 1800 -> 1920Mhz

Temps are around 73oC (3oC hotter)
Power 324W (24W more)
Fan Speed 46% (2% more)

I really dont think its worth underclocking for such low gains in Power/Temp and losing the boosts up to 1920Mhz

Unless I am doing something wrong :)

Associate
Wierd, because if you are mining and not undervolting already you are throwing money away.
I tried fixing the core but couldn't get it to stick so in the end am running using a 75% power limit, which in effect lowers the voltage I am assuming. But I have not setup a full curve, with performance in mind.

Associate
I really dont think its worth underclocking for such low gains in Power/Temp and losing the boosts up to 1920Mhz

Unless I am doing something wrong :)

You don't have to set it to 1800. I've got a few profiles saved, one of which is 1950/900.
And as you noticed before if you have the thermal/power headroom it'll sometimes go up a 15mhz step even with the power slider at 100.
If you're on the edge of stability that 15mhz jump might cause it to crash. If you go too low with the power it might not crash but you could get stutter.
I'm sort of constrained by poor case cooling unless I want it to sound like a hoover but depending on the game I've got: -

1785/800 - much cooler for stuff that hammers the card
1845/850 - general stuff
1950/900 - easy to run stuff

Soldato
You don't have to set it to 1800. I've got a few profiles saved, one of which is 1950/900.
And as you noticed before if you have the thermal/power headroom it'll sometimes go up a 15mhz step even with the power slider at 100.
If you're on the edge of stability that 15mhz jump might cause it to crash. If you go too low with the power it might not crash but you could get stutter.
I'm sort of constrained by poor case cooling unless I want it to sound like a hoover but depending on the game I've got: -

1785/800 - much cooler for stuff that hammers the card
1845/850 - general stuff
1950/900 - easy to run stuff

Good idea - but wouldnt you want higher HZ for more demanding games (well apart from the noise)

Associate
Good idea - but wouldnt you want higher HZ for more demanding games (well apart from the noise)

The noise is the thing until I sort something out. An hour of something heavy with RTX gets toasty and the fans ramp up. So I lose a bit of a performance and keep the noise down.
In the middle I can do something like Red Dead 2 or AC Odyssey at 4k 60, keep the pretty stuff on and the frames up but still hear the ambient game noises.
For vr stuff I go as many frames as possible at high res because all I can hear is the headset audio anyway.

Lots of options and scope for tinkering.

Associate
Set mine to 1800/825. That along with capping my fps to 120 in more demanding games has halved the coil whine noise and temps are high 50's to low 60's.

Back
Top Bottom