• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The Ampere RTX 3090 Owners Thread

Associate
:cool: identical temps with me too. If I really rag it and the room warms up it climbs to 90c. Considering the pap stock pads were basically just about stopping the throttle sensor kicking in at 110c (I was between 102 and 106c before the pad change), its made about a 20c difference. With good case airflow tweaks you can basically go back to a quiet rig.

I've hit 104 and 72 while gaming...
I'm doing case airflow tweaks while I'm off and if that fails I'm conflicted.
I can risk bricking a 1400 quid card or dump it on the highstreet for more than that and put the 2080ti strix back in which was functionally silent and wasn't that far behind in the real world with an OC.

Associate
Sorry I missed your earlier post where you quoted me.

The pads are a real step up from the stock ones! Temps are much more realistic now.

:cool: identical temps with me too. If I really rag it and the room warms up it climbs to 90c. Considering the pap stock pads were basically just about stopping the throttle sensor kicking in at 110c (I was between 102 and 106c before the pad change), its made about a 20c difference. With good case airflow tweaks you can basically go back to a quiet rig.

DId you guys just replace the stock pads like for like?

I replaced just the VRAM pads under the backplate (hopeing it would be easy to reversed in the event I needed to RMA) and saw only a small improvement. I'm wondering whether I should do the lot now.

Associate

I replaced just the VRAM pads under the backplate (hopeing it would be easy to reversed in the event I needed to RMA) and saw only a small improvement. I'm wondering whether I should do the lot now.
I replaced it like for like as best I could. All of it and repasted the GPU. I had planned to keep the original pads but it was toothpaste.

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats

Pretty much yes. The white goo/fiber pads were not great.

I replaced it like for like as best I could. All of it and repasted the GPU. I had planned to keep the original pads but it was toothpaste.

Same. I binned them after trying on a couple of strips and they disintegrated no way could you re-use them.

Soldato
Is warranty definitely voided then if you do any such thermal pad replacement anywhere? My friend has a 3090 and is complaining of the same toasty memory.

Associate
Are there any actual warranty void stickers that get broken on the 3090s then upon dissassembly?

Nothing obvious, apart from the pozi screws marking easily.

It would be obvious that you replaced the thermal pads though :D

I managed to remove my VRAM ones in fairly good nick by picking them up with a knife.

Soldato
Is it just the 3090 that has poor thermal pads or all 3000 series card's?

Not all AIB cards but all FE 3000 cards use the same thermal pads. FE cards seem to be the main problem (as some have no thermal pads on the back unless they have memory there), but again they were not designed to mine on, so most people that are complaining are mining on cards never designed for it, normal use they are fine.

Associate
Your crazy to void warranty on a card that's harder to get then winning the lottery
I managed to buy a card but I've never won the lottery, your logic is flawed.
In over 20 years I've maybe had 1 GPU go wrong so I'm just going with the odds especially seeing how well made this card is....ignoring the OEM thermal toothpaste obviously.

OK brilliant.

I don't mine. I play video games

When I bought this card I had no intention of mining, I didn't even really know what it was. After owning the card for several weeks and doing some reading I started mining and have made nearly £400 in the downtime since. I was also getting over 100 degrees in some games which concerned me.
Very glad I did it. It's been mining all night with no extra fans and the case glass panel back on looking nice and neat and it hasn't gone over 92 degrees with fan speed at 75% (used to have to have 90%).
It's free money :D and I'll do it until the bubble bursts, which it inevitably will.:(

Soldato
I managed to buy a card but I've never won the lottery, your logic is flawed.
In over 20 years I've maybe had 1 GPU go wrong so I'm just going with the odds especially seeing how well made this card is....ignoring the OEM thermal toothpaste obviously.

When I bought this card I had no intention of mining, I didn't even really know what it was. After owning the card for several weeks and doing some reading I started mining and have made nearly £400 in the downtime since. I was also getting over 100 degrees in some games which concerned me.
Very glad I did it. It's been mining all night with no extra fans and the case glass panel back on looking nice and neat and it hasn't gone over 92 degrees with fan speed at 75% (used to have to have 90%).
It's free money :D and I'll do it until the bubble bursts, which it inevitably will.:(
£400 a day?

My logic is not flawed, the point Is that these cards are extremely hard to get.

Back
Top Bottom