The Official Pizza Discussion thread (was: Cooking Neapolitan Pizzas with the Uuni 3)

Associate
Our Ooni (Koda 16) finally arrives today, we ordered one in the Black Friday sales last November! Just need to finish getting things for it - I was going to get a wood peel for launching and then one of the turners and a metal (perforated) peel for getting out. Is this overkill - better to just start off with the perforated peel?

We'll be doing Neapolitan and NY-style pizza.

Wood for launching (sprinkled with semolina to help it roll off easy), metal for turning and taking out. Not really seen any need for a perforated peel yet although maybe I'll get one in the future. As mentioned the official ooni stuff is generally a rip off you can get peels that are just as good for a fraction of the price. I was going to recommend adelphi pans which is where I got mine but noticed you are in the US so I doubt the shipping on that would be cost effective! Anyways I'm sure theres plenty places to get cheap peels out there!

Soldato
Wood for launching (sprinkled with semolina to help it roll off easy), metal for turning and taking out. Not really seen any need for a perforated peel yet although maybe I'll get one in the future. As mentioned the official ooni stuff is generally a rip off you can get peels that are just as good for a fraction of the price. I was going to recommend adelphi pans which is where I got mine but noticed you are in the US so I doubt the shipping on that would be cost effective! Anyways I'm sure theres plenty places to get cheap peels out there!
Ha, Adelphi pans are you sure they make toilets. Maybe your mean Alphin.

Soldato
Got a Koda 12 on order, shipping in April hopefully, gives me a few weeks to get the accessories sorted!

Their ones did look a ripoff...

Associate
So, bye bye Fyra, hello Karu.

Just posted this on Reddit as a token of appreciation. Sickly I know, but am grateful.

Companies often get slated by the many and thanked by the few. Credit where credit is due...

Several weeks ago I took delivery of my Fyra. I was having great success on the first one or two pizzas but sadly the pellet hopper continued to jam up despite not overfilling it. It was a constant battle trying to maintain temperature.

The Ooni customer experience team have been amazing, offering advice and troubleshooting. Ultimately they knew I was weary of the issue and have allowed me to return the Fyra for a refund, postage at their expense.

The Fyra is a great oven and perhaps the user is at fault here, regardless Ooni have done nothing but try to please me.

I now have a Karu on the way. Thanks team Ooni! You have a customer for life.

Need to have a shop around at the weekend to locate some small cut wood kindling and lumpwood charcoal as plan to use a mix of both. B&Q? The Range? B&M?

Associate
Fyra refunded, Karu received today. Looking forward to firing her up on Saturday.

I've been keeping myself a little bible of both recipe and method so I can continue to review and tweak. I have this on cold ferment at the moment:

Flour: Caputo 00 Pizzeria
Yeast: Active dry
Hydration: 65%
Makes: 3 x 260g dough balls
Flour: 464g (100%)
Water: 302g (65%)
Yeast: 1.2g (0.25%)
Salt: 13.9g (3%)

Method
  1. Add 100% cold water to bowl

2. Add 100% salt to bowl, mix thoroughly

3. Add 10% of the flour, mix thoroughly

4. Add 100% of the yeast, mix thoroughly

5. Add remaining flour, mix thoroughly

6. Transfer to worktop and knead for 5-10mins

7. Add to bowl and cover

8. Leave at room temp for 2 hours

9. Divide to equal balls

10. Refrigerate for 72 hours

11. Remove from refrigerator and allow to rest for 6-8 hours

Associate
That recipe looks spot on, I see a lot of people take the dough out of the fridge an hour before using but I’ve always had better results leaving a it out for longer.

Associate
Hey guys the wife's getting me a onni for my birthday any tips ? Don't know which model yet ..but I have old wood fire pizza oven that needs replacing and I make sourdough all the time for it

Last edited:
Soldato

Ended up getting all three just in case :p Fired up the Koda last night for the first time and made three Neapolitan margaritas - came out very well, only issue was the dough was over-proved as I got it out of the fridge expecting UPS to deliver the peels around 4 PM and they didn't show until around 8 PM! I just used the standard Ooni dough recipe (cold-proved for 3 days) and very simple sauce - can of San Marzanos blended with a touch of salt. Looking forward to firing it up again next week, will deliver pictures next time!

Don
Fyra refunded, Karu received today. Looking forward to firing her up on Saturday.

I've been keeping myself a little bible of both recipe and method so I can continue to review and tweak. I have this on cold ferment at the moment:

Flour: Caputo 00 Pizzeria
Yeast: Active dry
Hydration: 65%
Makes: 3 x 260g dough balls
Flour: 464g (100%)
Water: 302g (65%)
Yeast: 1.2g (0.25%)
Salt: 13.9g (3%)

Method
  1. Add 100% cold water to bowl

2. Add 100% salt to bowl, mix thoroughly

3. Add 10% of the flour, mix thoroughly

4. Add 100% of the yeast, mix thoroughly

5. Add remaining flour, mix thoroughly

6. Transfer to worktop and knead for 5-10mins

7. Add to bowl and cover

8. Leave at room temp for 2 hours

9. Divide to equal balls

10. Refrigerate for 72 hours

11. Remove from refrigerator and allow to rest for 6-8 hours

looks good

couple of comments 65% is a bit heroic for first try but will be great if you can work it

and 72hr CT would suit Nuvola Super better than Pizzeria

Associate
looks good

couple of comments 65% is a bit heroic for first try but will be great if you can work it

and 72hr CT would suit Nuvola Super better than Pizzeria

Thanks Rotty. I might try Nuvola once I've used up my usual Pizzeria, seen some good results on Reddit. The 65% handled quite nicely care of some semolina for launching. I don't think I'd dare 70% mind!

Forgot to mention - I experimented on Saturday with two different batches.

1) 72 hour cold ferment + 8 hour room temp prior to handling
2) 12 hour room ferment

The cold ferment tasted better but didnt have as much rise. The room ferment felt more elastic and easier to handle, but lacked a bit of the compleity of taste.

I'm pondering whether to try a 24 hour room ferment next.

Associate
Hey guys the wife's getting me a onni for my birthday any tips ? Don't know which model yet ..but I have old wood fire pizza oven that needs replacing and I make sourdough all the time for it

I'm delighted with my Karu, much better than the Fyra I returned for reasons as follows:

1) Much easier fuel management. I use a starting base of lumpwood charcoal and throw on some wood kindling to get to temp.
2) Easier to find kindling than it is wood pellets
3) Stainless steel construction rather than powder coated, should have better longevity
4) Feels heavier and generally better constructed
5) The official Ooni carry cover is a one piece design, rather than the Fyra which has a separate pouch for hopper and chimney

The only thing I do miss from the Fyra is the little viewing hole built in to the door to save you pulling the door to check. That said, when you are cooking a pizza in just 60-90 seconds as you'll know already you sort of get a feel for it anyway.

I was tempted to go for the Ooni Pro only to give me that extra interior space, however the Karu has more recent design improvements. The Ooni Pro is definitely due a makeover to bring it up to the newer design. If there was a Karu 16 I would have got that. The 12 will do me for now however and in fairness, cant imagine making 16" pizzas anyway.

TL;DR I'd reccomend the Karu if you like cooking with wood and/or charcoal and are happy with 12"...

Associate
I'm delighted with my Karu, much better than the Fyra I returned for reasons as follows:

1) Much easier fuel management. I use a starting base of lumpwood charcoal and throw on some wood kindling to get to temp.
2) Easier to find kindling than it is wood pellets
3) Stainless steel constructin rather than powder coated, should have better longevity
4) Feels heavier and generally better constructed
5) The official Ooni carry cover is a one piece design, rather than the Fyra which has a separate pouch for hopper and chimney

I was tempted to go for the Ooni Pro only to give me that extra interior space, however the Karu has more recent design improvements. The Ooni Pro is definitely due a makeover to bring it up to the newer design. If there was a Karu 16 I would have got that. The 12 will do me for now however and in fairness, cant imagine making 16" pizzas anyway.

TL;DR I'd reccomend the Karu if you like cooking with wood and/or charcoal and are happy with 12"...
Don't know what she will get me ! it's ordered will take up to 4 -6 weeks !
But to be fair its a cracking piece of kit even if she gets me the gas Koda 12 or 16 I will be happy:cool:

Associate
One last thing, check out Pizza Boys on BBC iPlayer. Two Welsh pizza makers tour Europe and aim to compete in the pizza making world championships. Quite fun and some good insight.

Soldato
If anyone is on the fence like I was, get an Ooni! We have it every Saturday lunchtime now and it’s been very successful while following just the basic recipes. I will try the longer prove dough and all the other good suggestions on here at some point but the oven makes fantastic pizzas with very little effort

I’m after a table now (currently balancing it on two rattan seats and an old garden table top). The ooni one looks quite pricey but has good reviews and I can’t find any alternatives. Any suggestions or shall I just go for it?

Don
anyone local to Notts want a couple of big containers of pellets for nowt let me know, cant tell you weight but would guess 6-7Kg ish

no idea what make, will weigh in advance if needed

Back
Top Bottom