Asus Essence STX II in 2021 on W10

Associate
Hi guys, thinking of buying this card in 2021, can somebody who is using it today share some insights?

1. Latest driver seems to be actually updated recently, are there any problems on w10 with it? Or is it better to use some custom drivers, Unified Xonar Drivers? Official driver is Version 8.1.11.5 2019/12/25
https://www.asus.com/Motherboards-C.../All-series/Essence_STX_II/HelpDesk_Download/

2. I am using Dualshock 4 with official wireless Sony adaptor with headphones via the Dualshock 4. Will it work with STX II too, it should, right, since Dualshock is transmitting audio via Bluetooth?

3. I know it's not recommended, but would it be possible to use both STX II and my MBU onboard sound card, by just switching the default audio, especially if STX doesn't work with Dualshock 4?

4. Any skins available for software (Xonar Audio Center), since it is looking a bit outdated?

5. I would rather use STX II instead DAC, I am not sure I can buy anything decent for the price of the STX II and I like to mess with PC hardware and I always wanted to have it : )

Yeah, BTW, on my MBU Z490 TUF sound is just awful. It's like it's coming from the basement. I am using Marantz Receiver SR5500SR along with JBL Control 1 Pro studio speakers and it's awful, have large Mission speakers which I don't use, since I live in the apartment because of the neighbors...so I use only stereo studio speakers. It actually sounded 5 times better with my old MBU Z87 PRO lga 1150.
Can't believe how poor audio is on the new TUF MBU. It's shocking...

Soldato
If you're using some wireless headphones, sound card doesn't come into play, because of those headphones being their own playback device.
Only wireless headphones using base station taking analog in could use sound card as part of playback chain.
But those doing their own ADC for transmitting signal and then DAC in headphones beats the purpose of buying expensive sound card.

Also for headphone use those CMedia chip based sound cards have nasty "feature", which when triggered suddenly pushes out full amplitude noise without warning and being hearing damage risk.
(not that it would be much better with some beefy speakers)
Also there's another "bug":
https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1036071
Both problems might come from using PCI sound chip through PCIe bridge ship made by Asmedia, which is known from "variable" quality.
Not to mention such old product having questionable future support.

That Marantz looks like it might have optical SPDIF input, so using optical cable would bypass integrated sound card's analog circuitry and its lack of quality.

Associate
OP
Thanks for your kind reply and your time as well.

- So Dualshock 4 has it's own DAC and it is transmitting audio via Bluetooth to headphones, so it should work with any PCI card. It seems that way. I understand about the quality, but this is the way to play games late at night without bothering anyone : )
- I was aware of the "high noise" bug, I was not sure does each card has it? Or is it combination of a lot of things, like software and hardware in a PC.
- Second bug regarding the system reboot, wouldn't affect me, since I am using Z490 MBU.

Well now the main question, I am using indeed using SPIDIF input on Marantz with optical cable, so it should bypass the integrated audio card completely, right? I can't explain such difference in sound between my old MBU, I had a wonderful warm sound, with high tones being clear, and bass was so nice and good, even on small speakers, they were moving air. It was just great and now with the completely same settings, it sounds x5 times worse. The only thing that was changed is the new PC/MBU, how can this be possible? I have checked all settings multiple times...it just sounds inferior and awful...can there be a difference between 2 MBU's if I am using SPIDIF and optical cable that is affecting it somehow??

Soldato
I replaced my STX with an external USB DAC and AMP but I did use it on Win 10.

Use the 3rd party Unified Drivers.

Don bother using the software/UI beyond initial setup. It's gash.

Be prepared for some quirks and potential DPC latency issues.

Yes - you can use on board and the STX. I used onboard for mic input.

Soldato
Any USB/wireless audio thing with USB connected transmitter completely bypasses sound cards.
Being able to use sound card as sound source needs audio device to have analog sound input and not show itself as another sound card/playback device like USB devices do.
Or at least it would be complicated and likely with some extra latency...
While once again making analog audio components of expensive card completely moot and any budget/entry level sound card as competent.
Besides already that BT very likely adds latency while limiting sound quality.

That bug is feature of C-Media chip sound cards and according to UniXonar FAQ it's possible in pretty much every Xonar.
Also it's apparently more common ironically in combination with Asus motherboards and Windows 10 has been also found out to increase risk of triggering it.
It's happened also to users in Finnish PC forum, so it's not exactly "person hit by meteorite" low risk.
With last user saying that it felt like card was trying to kill his hearing...

While optical as digital connection bypasses analog audio circuitry, there's still possibility of processing being done to signal digitally.
Or just Windows screwing up something.
While I used to swear at Bill Gates I now miss the times he was at the helm of Microsoft.
At that time Windows was developed as PC OS instead of phone/tablet OS and Microsoft had department of own testers.
Since that time Microsoft fired most of their testers and users have been "promoted" to alpha testers of known to be buggy patches for OS.

Soldato
Just to add one thing about SPDIF on STX verses onboard.

I use to think that digital output was all the same, however I listened very closely between Realtek SPDIF and Asus STX SPDIF, and there was a difference.

I put this down to drivers. So the standard drivers for the Asus STX, there less coloured then the drivers for the Realtek - before anyone asks I made sure all effects were off and graphic equalisers set to neutral.

So running an external DAC from the ASUS STX sounded better then running the same DAC from the Realtek - However the difference was pretty minor and most people would probably not notice, however if your an audiophile then the difference is there.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Alright guys, thanks for you time and for being so cool. Something is definitely different, I also now suspect that drivers might be causing sound difference or even windows 10 with new updates.

OK, so the final question, which would sound better so I have that aspect of opinions as well, I can say I am audiophile and extremely sensitive, I like the warmth of the sound as well. I completely understand why some people use vinyls, since I can hear huge difference even between vinyl rip versus digital release.

So what would sound better and what would be the difference in sound?

- MBU Onboard with SPIDF + Marantz + JBL Control 1 Pro Speakers
- STX 2 WITHOUT SPIDF + Marantz + JBL Control 1 Pro Speakers

Soldato
Hi guys, thinking of buying this card in 2021, can somebody who is using it today share some insights?

1. Latest driver seems to be actually updated recently, are there any problems on w10 with it? Or is it better to use some custom drivers, Unified Xonar Drivers? Official driver is Version 8.1.11.5 2019/12/25
https://www.asus.com/Motherboards-C.../All-series/Essence_STX_II/HelpDesk_Download/

2. I am using Dualshock 4 with official wireless Sony adaptor with headphones via the Dualshock 4. Will it work with STX II too, it should, right, since Dualshock is transmitting audio via Bluetooth?

3. I know it's not recommended, but would it be possible to use both STX II and my MBU onboard sound card, by just switching the default audio, especially if STX doesn't work with Dualshock 4?

4. Any skins available for software (Xonar Audio Center), since it is looking a bit outdated?

5. I would rather use STX II instead DAC, I am not sure I can buy anything decent for the price of the STX II and I like to mess with PC hardware and I always wanted to have it : )

Yeah, BTW, on my MBU Z490 TUF sound is just awful. It's like it's coming from the basement. I am using Marantz Receiver SR5500SR along with JBL Control 1 Pro studio speakers and it's awful, have large Mission speakers which I don't use, since I live in the apartment because of the neighbors...so I use only stereo studio speakers. It actually sounded 5 times better with my old MBU Z87 PRO lga 1150.
Can't believe how poor audio is on the new TUF MBU. It's shocking...
The core driver 8.1.11.5 seems to be really old from 2014. The newer drivers from what I can tell are just minor updates to the app/control panel not to the soundcard drivers. Saying that I have zero bugs/problems so the old lack of driver updates doesn't bother me. Works fine on the newest Win 10 build.

Soldato
So what would sound better and what would be the difference in sound?

- MBU Onboard with SPIDF + Marantz + JBL Control 1 Pro Speakers
- STX 2 WITHOUT SPIDF + Marantz + JBL Control 1 Pro Speakers

It depends what the DAC inside your Marantz is like?

I own 2 x Asus ST's and 1 x Asus STX II, and I use the standard Asus drivers. What I can say is there very good cards, my best setup is an Asus ST using a Van Damme Lo-Cap 55 cable from a HTPC into a separates amp. I use Amazon Music HD, and I can play ANY music from that setup, it always sounds correct, I have no desire to tweak anything, sound is bang on!

My only concern with the cards, is one day they will go the same way as all cards, this being driver support will be discontinued. For this reason investing into a quality external DAC maybe better.

Going back a bit, I use an interconnect made from this cable. The Asus ST range is that good, if your using a generic 'cheap' RCA cable you will downgrade the performance of the card. The Van Damme silver cables are often used by music studies to connect equipment together, I'm mentioning I use this cable to drive home the quality of the Asus ST range of cards.

https://www.van-damme.com/vandamme_product/van-damme-silver-series-session-grade-instrument-cable/

Last edited:
Associate
OP
@Pottsey thank you very much buddy for your help.

@JasonM, can you help out?
I want to thank you very much once again for your time and help :)

Will be getting the card finally this weekend and I will probably get the cables you have recommended, but I will have to wait for delivery a lot.

So for the digital connection it will be easy to test, but can you help with analog connection?
Hoping this might not be offensive, if you would have few minutes to spare to help with some pro advice?

I am including back image of the Marantz SR5500 Receiver and I will use stereo only with JBL Control 1 Pro Speakers.
https://i.imgur.com/MIhMhW6.jpg

So here are the questions:

Should I use 3.5mm-to-RCA Y cable which I will get with STX II at all?
Or should I just use two RCA cables directly, with male connectors on both sides right?
So would it be best to use 2 cables or 1 long cable and 2 Y small splitters if it's not wrong?
Which analog input/s on Marantz would you personally use and does it matter for quality?

Thank you very much and hoping to hear from you.

Soldato
Zer0,

Just looking back at your thread, your Marantz SR5500 has a built in DAC. What I would have done is tried inside this before buying the Asus STX. I would have tested this by connecting digital output from your motherboard to the Maraztz.

If going down the Asus STX path then you need to connect the Asus STX to the Maraztz using a good quality RCA cabless - it's a good card is it deserves a good quality audio cable. The Maraztz should have an analogue stereo input.

The issue however, is your speakers. I would have put my money buying better speakers, however since you already have these speakers your best just trying them.

My recommendation is not buying anything, then connect your motherboard to the Maraztz DAC, then test your speakers and see how things sound.

Associate
OP
Hey @JasonM

Thank you for your time again. My sound was heavily degraded, I got a new MBU Z490 TUF Plus and via SPIDF sound is just awful. It's like it's coming from the basement. Not sure why, drivers, interference or something else, I am not quite sure, but I guess the quality is not there so it doesn't even matter.

I have received STX II today and had 40min to try it out via RCA as you have suggested.

So after some initial quick testing I "almost" have what I was looking for.

I am hearing a lot of improvements

Pros
- sound is crystal clear, I have never experienced this kind of clarity coming out of my PC
- high tones are great
- no distortions of any kind
- speakers are "moving air" again nicely
- I can actually hear new things in old songs, which is the proof that I got huge improvement

Cons
- Now I can finally hear maximum of my JBL Control 1 and they are now lacking a lot : )
- I would prefer a bit more bass bit it is just a personal preference
- The only real imperfection I can find with the card is that it would be just perfect if there would be just a bit more "warmth" to the sound, just a bit...

I also believe this could be achieved via settings, so what I did quickly today was: set 24bit 44100hz in windows, then the same in Asus panel settings with HF (HIFI) ON and the same in AIMP too.

Will be testing it further tomorrow : )

Associate
OP
If you or anybody would like to comment further, what might be the best settings in this instance? (W10-STXII-AIMP)

So is 44100hz 16 or 24bit the best since most of my collection is FLAC music?
So ASIO, Direct Sound, Wasapi what would be good advice?

Last edited:
Soldato
Zer0, glad you got the card and are enjoying, just picking up on a few things.

1) The warm issue, the STX II comes with alternative op-amps, changing these might add some warmth. I recommend using your card with the supplied op-amps at least for time being, the reason being the card is still 'running in' and you might get warmer the longer it's used.

2) Regarding your speakers, they will be your weakest link in the system.

3) What cable are you connecting the Asus STX II to your amp with, just changing to a good RCA cable can make a difference. I use custom made Van Damme cables from eBay.

4) I run my STX II at 24bit / 192.KHz, I use Amazon Music HD (that used Flak), and this format always appears ok. So in STX II advanced properties (in windows) I set 24 /192, then also in the Asus Control panel. In the Asus Control panel I have nothing enabled, the only thing I sometimes used is SVN as it lifts quite part of tracks.

Last edited:
Soldato
Also for headphone use those CMedia chip based sound cards have nasty "feature", which when triggered suddenly pushes out full amplitude noise without warning and being hearing damage risk.
(not that it would be much better with some beefy speakers)
Also there's another "bug":
https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1036071
Both problems might come from using PCI sound chip through PCIe bridge ship made by Asmedia, which is known from "variable" quality.
Not to mention such old product having questionable future support.

I find this quote interesting EsaT... I have a Xonar STX PCi-E and very rarely I'd be sat using my PC with Headphones and and suddenly be met with an immense ear piercing noise which is indescribable, It was always so loud that you'd jump in your seat and throw the headphones on the desk whilst trying to turn the PC off to stop the noise, Is this the 'Feature' you're describing?

Soldato
I find this quote interesting EsaT... I have a Xonar STX PCi-E and very rarely I'd be sat using my PC with Headphones and and suddenly be met with an immense ear piercing noise which is indescribable, It was always so loud that you'd jump in your seat and throw the headphones on the desk whilst trying to turn the PC off to stop the noise, Is this the 'Feature' you're describing?
Yep, when occurring that feature causes output of absolutely full amplitude noise/static.
And with typical efficiency/sensitivity of headphones that's god darn awful amount of dBs with that caliber headphone amplifier.

Soldato
TaKeN / EstT,

Are you both referring to the very loud 'thud' sound that can sometimes happen.

I have this on only 1 (I own 2) of my Asus ST's, it happens when playback is stopped, then only sometimes happens when a track is restarted - then it might go for days and I never notice it. I have tried various things to resolve but never isolated the issue, I did wonder if it was power-saving related and the card going into low power mode. This happens on an Z370-HD3P that's one of the last motherboards to have legacy PCI support. Do you think this is a board issue?

Permabanned
I have had these cards for several generations. What is really good fun is that you can play with the op amps, and there are some out there that offer a serious upgrade. Just DON'T get them from ebay though, there are a lot of fakes. You can even get some discrete component op amps. Lots of fun!

Back
Top Bottom