Poll: Bahrain Grand Prix 2021, Sakhir - Race 1/23

Rate the 2021 Bahrain Grand Prix out of ten

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Soldato
Single year contract, with an option for another year.

I'd be surprised if he hasn't announced his retirement by the end of season fly-aways.

Oh.. In that case you could be right. Unless he wants to have a look at what the 2022 regs may bring Aston Martin? (Although they may need to wait until 2023 to be more competitive as they'll need to get a good luck at the 2022 Merc first... ;):D)

Caporegime
Considering there has been as near to zero testing as worth talking about prior to this season as compared to when Vettel started in F1, I think he should be given some time to settle into the team and get used to the car before he gets written off as a has been.

How many chances does a man need? It's not like this is the only time he's been unimpressive. He's had excuses made for him since his poor showing in 2014.

Soldato
Considering there has been as near to zero testing as worth talking about prior to this season as compared to when Vettel started in F1, I think he should be given some time to settle into the team and get used to the car before he gets written off as a has been.

This year the car is pretty much just an evolution of last years, so I doubt he has had much input into the design and construction at all.

Come next year I am sure he will have had more input, had it designed/modified to suit his style more, also he will have had a year getting used to the team etc and that is when he will either shine or crumble.

That's what was said when the regs changed and Vettel suddenly couldn't drive the Red Bull car, and again when he went to Ferrari and had the team built around him. I think that he genuinely cannot change his driving style, and doesn't have the skill or headspace to change himself to get the most out of the car. He's been flattered by his early wins when RBR was dominant, and now competing against a dominant Hamilton/Mercedes has done him no favours. I've not seen Vettel evolve over the years in the same way that Hamilton has. Vettel makes the same mistakes, the same angry errors, always blames the other driver instead of looking at himself in the mirror to fix his own issues.

I predict we'll see the same pattern in the Aston, because he's given me nothing to think otherwise.

Soldato
If Redbull do have the pace to trouble Merc going forward and Perez steps up it's going to be a pretty interesting season.

Does anyone think Bottas has what it is going take to help secure WCC for Merc If we do see that play out?

I will be honest I know little about him and have no idea if he has that fight in him?

Bottas in the Mercedes is not terrible. He is still getting seconds/thirds/fourths, which should be enough for a WCC unless Perez suddenly ups his game. Sure, Bottas looks average against Hamilton who can take the same car and consistently get first place, but Bottas' results are "good enough" for a second driver, without the grief and destabilisation that comes from having two number one drivers in the team taking points off each other. If Bottas is reliably good enough to beat Perez, then that's probably enough, unless Hamilton has problems keeping in front of Verstappen, then Bottas' weak races will become significant.

Caporegime
How many chances does a man need? It's not like this is the only time he's been unimpressive. He's had excuses made for him since his poor showing in 2014.

But that was totally down to him absolutely hating the new regulations, and how it made the car drive.

He hated the lack of downforce, the drive by wire, the whole way the engine powertrain and car felt and handled, he was extremely close to quitting at end of 2014, but got the Ferrari drive, and no one ever says no to Ferrari.

The reg changes will change the order, of that there is no doubt, it is purely who will get ahead and find the loopholes.

Every large regulation change has put one team ahead of all others, with all other teams playing catch up until the next big reg change, that will not change, its been the same throughout F1 history.

As I say i is purely which team will come out ahead this time.

With the money and resources that Aston now have, they are massively in the fight as to who will come out on top.

Soldato
I don't really think Sebs heart is in it anymore and hasn't been for a long while, suspect this move was a last throw of the dice to see if he can re-find something in a new environment. Not sure he'll wait to next season to find out if the regs help Aston if he doesn't find anything this year.

Same as Schumacher if he'd hung on another year or 2 he'd have had the chance to drive the Merc Hamilton has won all those titles in but he knew it was time to hang it up.

Soldato
Enjoyed the race yesterday, thankfully no large events like last year.

Lewis is looking good and as calm as ever, Max is looking punchy and Checo is going to be a surprise and really challenge the top lot.

Soldato
I'm with a few others here in thinking that Seb is done for. He's not looked consistently competitive for years and still constantly ends up in collisions with other drivers either through his own fault (like yesterday) or just not knowing when to back off. Whilst there is the idea that Seb could shape the car to be better for him next year, if he doesn't up his game - why on earth would Aston design a car around someone who is undoubtedly past his best rather than building the car around Lance or another?

Roll on the next race to see how things play out as it's a bit too soon with jumping to conclusions on some of the performances. Impressed with both Perez and Tsunoda and can't wait to see how they do.

fez

fez

Caporegime
Bottas in the Mercedes is not terrible. He is still getting seconds/thirds/fourths, which should be enough for a WCC unless Perez suddenly ups his game. Sure, Bottas looks average against Hamilton who can take the same car and consistently get first place, but Bottas' results are "good enough" for a second driver, without the grief and destabilisation that comes from having two number one drivers in the team taking points off each other. If Bottas is reliably good enough to beat Perez, then that's probably enough, unless Hamilton has problems keeping in front of Verstappen, then Bottas' weak races will become significant.

Bottas is good enough when Merc have zero competition. Is he good enough if RB put up a fight?

Hamilton could have won the constructors championship on his own for Mercedes last season and he missed a race...

Yes I know that if Bottas wasn't there hoovering up the second and third place finishes it would give other teams more points but when one team is so dominant it doesn't matter how good their second driver is. We saw that Russell would have easily won the only race he has ever done in the Mercedes if the team didn't manage to concoct the biggest **** up they have managed in years.

I think people underestimate just how dominant the Merc has been especially in the hands of Hamilton.

They have won the constructors by:

2020 - 254pts
2019 - 235pts
2018 - 84pts
2017 - 166pts

I think that depending on what Hamilton does next year, Bottas could be out if anyone challenges them this year. Perhaps even if they don't. Mercedes have been lucky that they have been able to put someone as average as Bottas in their no2 seat and still cruise to the DC and CC each year. We saw what happened with Rosberg and I don't think they want to have to deal with that again.

Soldato

This year the car is pretty much just an evolution of last years, so I doubt he has had much input into the design and construction at all.

Come next year I am sure he will have had more input, had it designed/modified to suit his style more, also he will have had a year getting used to the team etc and that is when he will either shine or crumble.
Fingers crossed you're right, I had the same perspective when he got the AM drive, it's just my optimism seems to have deflated somewhat.

I really hope he works things out.

Soldato
Bottas is good enough when Merc have zero competition. Is he good enough if RB put up a fight?
No he's not good enough, I've been saying it for years that if the other teams/RB sort themselves out, Merc keeping Bottas in that second seat will cost them the WCC, this will probably be that year.

I don't understand why they renewed his contract so early on in 2020 but one thing is 'for sure' is that this will be his last season in a Merc. Toto didn't seem impressed when Bottas tried to question the strategy rather than his own lack of pace.

Caporegime
I don't understand why they renewed his contract so early on in 2020 but one thing is 'for sure' is that this will be his last season in a Merc. Toto didn't seem impressed when Bottas tried to question the strategy rather than his own lack of pace.

Because Claire told them there was no chance they would let Russell out of his contract early.

Caporegime
Bottas, Vettel, Ocon are what I thought were mistakes end of last year for this year.

And looks like it's playing out. But I'm sure most of us thought this too

Soldato
Red Bull have delivered the best car, and if Pérez can deliver for them the WCC beckons.

I mainly agree with your other points but I think the jury is still out on RB having the best car. I will say that it's a match for the Merc. Both did well in race pace and qualifying was so close it could have been decided by the wind. Time will tell and I hope I'm going to enjoy watching many battles between Verstappen and Hamilton.

Caporegime
Possibly this, possibly the need to not put anyone in the car who will actually challenge Hamilton for the title.

From what I have heard from a source very close to Lewis, THAT is exactly the clause he has in his contract.

Soldato
Bottas, Vettel, Ocon are what I thought were mistakes end of last year for this year.

And looks like it's playing out. But I'm sure most of us thought this too

Don’t let everyone on here say I told you so .

I’ll say it again , Bottas is bad news for F1 fans , put a racer in the Merc and shut me up for good . Bring back Rosberg , hell even put Massa in it but anyone than Hamilton’s Gimp.

Back
Top Bottom