AIB On Voiding Warranty via Watercooling GPU?

Associate
Hey! i was going to upgrade my Gaming X Trio 2080ti to a 3090. I have one question:

What are AIB's thoughts on Taking apart a card and putting a water block on there? it seems EVGA are one of the better partners, also have read good things about Zotac / MSI, just wanted a clear idea before trying to purchase a 3090.

System at the minute:

NkUmQcB.jpg

Cheers!

Associate
Same with Palit.
EVGA would be fine, but considering how rare the GPUs are now, and being limited to one brand, would reduce drastically your chances.
I went ahead and removed it. Easier for the GPU to die due to high temps than during removal of cooler, at least if you're careful and knows what you're doing.
Another choice, but even crazier compared to the already insane prices, would be a pre-fitted watercooled GPU.

Associate
It's difficult because it seems to depend on the country, the company, the person answering the questions and the person asking them. I contacted MSI a few years ago regarding watercooling my 980tis and was told that removing the stock cooler and/or replacing it with a waterblock would NOT void the warranty, but if it was RMA'd it would have to be sent back with the stock cooler refitted as per spec.

If it gets damaged during the removal of the cooler, or damaged by the waterblock, or even just plain old neglect, then that's got nothing to do with warranty.

Soldato
It's difficult because it seems to depend on the country, the company, the person answering the questions and the person asking them. I contacted MSI a few years ago regarding watercooling my 980tis and was told that removing the stock cooler and/or replacing it with a waterblock would NOT void the warranty, but if it was RMA'd it would have to be sent back with the stock cooler refitted as per spec.

If it gets damaged during the removal of the cooler, or damaged by the waterblock, or even just plain old neglect, then that's got nothing to do with warranty.
This is the reply I received when asking if I can fit a waterblock.

Screenshot-97.png

Soldato
I remember seeing a post from Zotac a few months back, in essence it said removal of the stock cooler would void the warranty but as long as the cooler was refitted before RMA they wouldn’t know if it was removed or not, so as long as it a card failure and not damage Zotac would accept the RMA

Soldato
The problem with MSI tho is that they use those tamper type screws, the ones with a non removal sticker on top which gets damaged if you try and remove it.
Not much chance of removing the cooler, even to fit pads, without compromising that warranty.

Associate
I remember seeing a post from Zotac a few months back, in essence it said removal of the stock cooler would void the warranty but as long as the cooler was refitted before RMA they wouldn’t know if it was removed or not, so as long as it a card failure and not damage Zotac would accept the RMA

I asked Zotac this question before I water cooled my Trinity 3090. They assured me removing the cooler would not void my warranty as long as I kept the original cooler to refit should I need to return the card

Sgarrista
Commissario
EVGA also fine, they use warranty stickers but just so when returned they know theres been a cooler removal and to inspect the pcb for damage.

Associate
You can find all the information you want and get informed by as many people as possible but its still hit and miss whether an AIB will scrap you as soon as they see you have removed the cooler.

Soldato

I've only got experience with ASUS where I am, but they accept RMA even if the product has been disassembled (such as water cooling a GPU) - the only reason they decline is when they do the inspection they discover physical damage on the PCB or the shroud, so we have to be very careful with disassembly, if you accidently damage the plastic shroud or something, RMA will be declined

Back
Top Bottom