Fiesta ST or Pug 208 GTi?

Soldato
As a current Pug 308 GTi owner, I'd be giving Peugeot a wide berth from now on.

I purchased an 18 month old 2016 308 GTi with just under 10k miles on the clock. From 18 months old, mileage is now 29k and in that time, the following has occurred:

1. Alcon front brake caliper sized in March 2020, causing damage to disc rotor. New front callipers, discs and pads, £1750
2. Fuel tank replaced March 2020, £900
3. Fuel pump failure a couple of months ago, think that was about £600

Now for 1 and 2, I kicked off with Peugeot and ended up paying considerably less. For number 3, a third party warranty paid out, so ended up costing me £100. However, the inconvenience of not having a car, priceless.

It's a shame because the 308 GTi is a great car. They made such a poor design decision with the front braking system components. The fuel tank issue affected earlier cars and was later resolved.

Now the 208 GTi might not have those similar issues but my ownership experience will ensure I'll never buy another Peugeot again, regardless of how tempting the second hand price is for one against other cars in it's class.

Soldato
Now the 208 GTi might not have those similar issues but my ownership experience will ensure I'll never buy another Peugeot again, regardless of how tempting the second hand price is for one against other cars in it's class.

I know the high pressure fuel pump failures were an issue in earlier 208's (again, think it was revised as part of the facelift and newer engine) but having owned a Peugeot Sport for 18 months and a GTi Prestige for a couple of years, they were fine!

And yes, the brakes thing is silly in the 308. That, and everything like air con controls being touch screen, but a lot of cars are going down that route...

Soldato
What about a Mk8 Fiesta ST? Just had a look and the ST2 is just about in budget. Looks to be a good upgrade in interior over the Mk7

It's not worth spending the extra. For the money you can get an ST200 which has better brakes, suspension, more power etc.

Soldato
So not the same engine as the 2017 Leon 1.4 TSI then

I've had one on lease for the last 3 years (due back now)

Decent enough, it's not quick but has enough poke to not annoy you. Decent MPG also we get around 42mpg and it never leaves Sport mode and I don't try to drive economically.

Had no issues with it and I've not heard any horror stories with that engine, the newer 1.5 has hesitation issues I've heard when pulling away.

It's got the 18" alloys and looks just about sporty enough and you get the FR flat bottom wheel but it won't drive like a warm/hot hatch, I came from a Suzuki Swift Sport and that thing was like a go kart by comparison.

Associate
As a current Pug 308 GTi owner, I'd be giving Peugeot a wide berth from now on.

I purchased an 18 month old 2016 308 GTi with just under 10k miles on the clock. From 18 months old, mileage is now 29k and in that time, the following has occurred:
3. Fuel pump failure a couple of months ago, think that was about £600

You are the only 308 GTI ive seen now that has reported abut fuel pump failing, i've had mine failed when I had 208 gti, they use the same fuel pump from the mini cooper and I had gut feeling they didn't upgrade it on the 308/RCZ R.

Soldato
OP
So after doing a lot of reserach and maths decided to go with a Seat Leon 1.4 phev. Over the years I'm going to save around £700 on fuel costs and the it being a lease deal I wont need to worry about faults etc... Not as sporty as what I wanted but it makes sense. Maybe one day I'd get an ST

Soldato
OP
Went for a test drive in a Seat Leon 1.4 Phev XCELLENCE Lux today. Really like the car, has everything I want and more although you can't get it in Mystery Blue and the alloys are horrible lol

So I got quoted £2800 upfront then £314 a month for 48 months. That's a total of £17,800 for four years.

Now I'm thinking I can spend around £12k and get a Seat Leon FR Technology 1.8 2017 plate with around 30k on the clock. Its cheaper yes but then I'm thinking it'll cost me on petrol over 4 years and that will go over what the lease deal would have cost me.

I'm so confused as to what to do :/

Last edited:
Man of Honour
So I got quoted £2350 upfront then £314 a month for 48 months. That's a total of £14,930 for four years.

Now I'm thinking I can spend around £12k and get a Seat Leon FR Technology 1.8 2017 plate with around 30k on the clock. Its cheaper yes but then I'm thinking it'll cost me on petrol over 4 years and that will go over what the lease deal would have cost me.

I'm so confused as to what to do :/
Think I'd rather have the one where I still have a vehicle after four years, especially as thats a long time to be tied into lease.

Soldato
OP
Think I'd rather have the one where I still have a vehicle after four years, especially as thats a long time to be tied into lease.

For me 4 years is fine. I've had the current lease for 7 years.

But the vehicle you own will have depreciated in value.. Its a tricky one this

Soldato
Not sure what you mean
The post you made where you were confused about what to do. The PHEV on lease is already 25% more expensive than the 12k FR. I've gone out of my way to get beans at less of a discount.

Then consider the Leon will still be worth...3k? In 4 years. That brings the gap closer to 60% more expensive. I've crossed county lines for discounts like that.

Soldato
OP
Then consider the Leon will still be worth...3k? In 4 years. That brings the gap closer to 60% more expensive. I've crossed county lines for discounts like that.

Don't follow :/ you saying the 12k Seat Leon 1.8 TSI is a better option?

Ive edited my post BTW... The lease deal costs £17,800 for the 4 years so now I'm thinking the purchase of the car is a better idea... Aghhh this is doing my head in

Soldato
OP
Not sure how accurate this is but the difference in annual cost of fuel for each is huge

PmKMeAJ.jpg

The hybrid is £1200 a year cheaper... So if I buy the 1.8 TSI it will end up costing the same as the hybrid over 4 years.

So it comes down to weather or not the 1.8 TSI will last over 4 years without any major repair costs. The one I'm looking at is a 2017 plate that's done just 30k. I do about 13k miles a year, as long as service it properly it should last for say 6/7 years right?

Soldato
Another option: try a current-gen Swift Sport. Around £11k will get you a low-mileage example that's only a few years old. Stacked with kit (LED headlights, adaptive cruise, nav, rear parking camera), five doors, fun to drive, durable, plenty of upgrade options and quite frugal.

The ones I've tested return around 45mpg without any real effort. Could tick a lot of boxes. Dead easy to look after, too, and don't attract some of the fuss of others.

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202107064716652

Associate
But on the lease I'm looking at depreciation isn't a factor as there's no option to purchase the car at the end, I have to give it back

Sorry, not lease, PCP. I guess just do what suits you. If you've found a car you want, are happy with the deposit/upfront/monthlies/service costs/total cost of ownership/etc. then the rest isn't too important.

Back
Top Bottom