Royal mail unpaid delivery fee scam, nearly got me!

Soldato
No had that yet but I've been getting more and more calls about my NI number, and they use a mobile number very similar to mine each time.

I got that one too yesterday, the mobile number being very similar to mine threw me a bit to start with, which is why for some reason I answered it in the first place. Usually I'd ignore calls from random numbers, if it's genuine they'll leave a message.

Soldato
Hey guys,

Little post of warning!

Got a text from Royal Mail. This came from the same "named" number (Said Royal Mail at the top of the iMessage window) that i've had other non-scam texts from them.

I got one yesterday, but also have several texts from the real Royal Mail and the scam one didn't go into the same list but created a new set of Royal Mail texts. This was my first clue it was a scam, the second was the start of the URL in the actual text received.

Soldato
OP
I got one yesterday, but also have several texts from the real Royal Mail and the scam one didn't go into the same list but created a new set of Royal Mail texts. This was my first clue it was a scam, the second was the start of the URL in the actual text received.

Very strange how it managed to get into the SMS thread with my official royal mail messages.

Are you on iOS or android out of intrest?

Caporegime
This.

Whenever you get unsolicited communication which makes an appeal to authority, immediately disregard the contact details on that communication and look the real support number up for yourself.

In the rare chance that your bank or post office is trying to contact you, they will tell you direct from the source when you enquire. Phishing scams rely heavily on keeping you within their control, as soon as you drop it and use a different contact method it all comes out.

Best and easiest rule to stick to, to be honest. If ever in any doubt (ie you think it could be genuine), just get the official number or go on the official website yourself of the company in question.

Soldato
I had that today - forward it to [email protected]

Will do

another I had few weeks ago was multiple calls from an 0800 number claiming to be Nationwide...they never left a message but if you dialled the number it was a recorded message saying you have been called by Nationwide, we’ll get back to you (something like that anyway)
I eventually answered and the first thing they wanted was to go through security questions...told them I’d call back, then they give out a real Nationwide number!...obviously hoping when they call back the next time you think they’re genuine.
I googled the number...loads of positive feedback for the number left, presumably by the scammers
https://www.shouldianswer.co.uk/phone-number/0800281801
Dodgy *****

Soldato
This sort of thing has got really bad recently - had more scam calls in the past few months than in years. Do my best to report them every time but doesn't seem to help and never got any follow up saying that any action has been taken. Scams like the 'criminal activity on your NI number' one made national news too, so it's not like they're flying under the radar and the authorities aren't aware. Appalling that more isn't being done - there must be ways of tracing where the calls are coming from and what bank accounts money is going into. If they're all coming from some anonymous VoIP service or something that refuses to cooperate then the service should just be blocked from the UK phone network

Criminals can probably set these scams up in days, but it seems to take months for the authorities to shut them down (if they get shut down at all).

Man of Honour
I was listening to this on the radio, that this single scam opens permission to make various transactions between what looks like legitimate transfers. You then get a call from what looks like your bank (spoofed number) stating to correct the problem, you to transfer the funds back into another account. The scary thing is, that if you have given permission, then there is little the banks can do about it.

Soldato
I'd be mightily suspicious as I don't have any parcels incoming atm and certainly none that I would consider payment for. Still it is easy to nearly fall for these things nearly got done by a scam phone call about Amazon Prime got as far as the lets-take-over-your-desktop site before I twigged it, I blame lack of sleep for that one.

Soldato
Spoofing was perhaps the wrong word, I of course really meant phishing lol.

The best way to know quickly is to check the actual domain name the links point to. If you not sure what the proper domain should be then just browse the companies website, but usually a domain that needs to add the companies name as a subdomain or a longer name that has the company name at start are big red flags.

Soldato
The usual righteous lot piping up in this thread. The same that swallow the bait on the McDonalds coffee lawsuit case.

OP - I spotted the other half reaching for her debit card the other day, I questioned - she realised the second I questioned. She had also been waiting for a parcel and fully expected to pay import tax on it. Easily done when your mind is elsewhere.

Caporegime
Dont reply to the texts by the way, I know people who have done it to say bugger off essentially and now they're getting phone calls from people to tell them to stop ringing them :p

Associate
They should just make it so that every number on the network is registered to a person/company. Mobile/Phone companies can easily do this. Then when people report a call they can easily see who actually called on their network rather then the spoofed number this will completely eliminate this problem in no time.
Some countries already require people to provide official identity documents to purchase a sim card.
This should be even easier in the UK given the interconnected systems and databases available.
But I am sure we will then get some people that will complain about spying and freedom of buying a sim card anonymously etc.

Soldato
It's really ridiculous that it's seemingly so trivial to spoof and send a text message that literally appears to come from someone else to the point where a fake message appears next to genuine text meessages in a thread from a legitmate sender and there's no way to tell them apart! Surely the phone companies should be taking some kind of action to prevent this fraud? It seems incredibly insecure that there's no verifcation when a text message is being sent and received.

Is there anyway to verify that a text you receive is from a leigitmate source who they claim to be like you can with email by viewing the headers/etc?

Associate
Getting loads of these now - mostly Royal Mail or a bank. I consider myself pretty savvy but was nearly caught out by the first Royal Mail one as I often send and receive parcels via Royal Mail. Feel sorry for anyone who gets caught out by one of these...

Back
Top Bottom