BT Infinity & FTTx Discussion

Soldato
Overall I think Zen is just too expensive; BT is ~£100 cheaper a year, £15 less for setup and can get £90 cashback on BT...

Same connection essentially and I don't really need a static IP (I could setup some forwarding stuff I think and use a dynamic dns service if I required it)

Soldato
The BT halo thing, where you send you a 4g router or whatever if your connection goes down, plus might do some other stuff.

So far my connection has been rock solid though.

Ah ok, yea wouldn't need that.

Think i'm going to pull the trigger with BT; I've used them in the past and it was fine - I was fortunate in my last house to have HyperOptic!

/edit

BT even cheaper as first 3 months are half price - so saving is closer to £175 a year!

Soldato
Ah ok, yea wouldn't need that.

Think i'm going to pull the trigger with BT; I've used them in the past and it was fine - I was fortunate in my last house to have HyperOptic!

/edit

BT even cheaper as first 3 months are half price - so saving is closer to £175 a year!

I think you'll be OK with either, my connection with BT has been absolutely fine, usually get speeds at my cap or approaching it, no real contention issues or downtime.

Man of Honour
Determined to rule out all of my own equipment, I've replaced all cables that I can including an extortionate £8 replacement RJ11 cable, I finally decided to connect the supplied Fritz!Box from Zen and the connection worked flawlessly. I've since put it into bridge mode replacing my Vigor 130 and the connection is now solid. So I'm suspecting a fault somehow with the Draytek.
Well, no idea what's going on. I can ping from my firewall to the internet without packet drop. I can ping from my Mac to my firewall without packet drop. As soon as I ping from my Mac to the internet I get packet drop. It's not just my Mac, it's nearly every device on my LAN. :(

Man of Honour
Wrong modem code on the Draytek?
I think it's my Unifi USG playing games although I'm not sure why at the moment.

Screenshot-2021-04-01-at-13-03-25.png

Top left session is me pinging my USG Pro.
Bottom left is me ssh’d into the USG Pro pinging the internet.
Right hand ping is my client (mac) pinging the internet.

Man of Honour
I've fixed it by downgrading the USG firmware from 4.4.52.5363507 to 4.4.51.5287926. Very odd behaviour and it's been working since the firmware was originally upgraded back in December.

I did speak to Zen and their support really is good.

Soldato
Not upgraded my USG yet but has a little firmware update logo next to it, currently on 4.4.51, judging from above posts I will leave it, already had to downgrade my APs due to wifi becoming intermittent, its solid again now.

EDIT: the switches seem OK on new FW though :D

Back
Top Bottom