What watch do you wear?

Man of Honour
My Apple Watch finally arrived. Extremely glad I went for the gold version, which I feel compliments my ring. Getting used to the strap as it’s reflectiveness makes it ‘different’ than I had anticipated, having only seen static images, but overall very pleased with the quirkiness and ‘70’s futuristic / retro-bling’ aesthetic!

IOhOMPO.jpg

MdZdwMn.jpg

Soldato
I'm struggling a bit with lusting after a Speedy.

Whilst I appreciate the upgrades of the new Speedy. I feel they have gone down the wrong path by changing the movement to coaxial. The now 'on its way out' 1861 movement is based on the original moonwatch and that for me makes it way more appealing to own.

Also take the the consideration of the price hike of £1000 of the new model.. it's making me really itch for a 1861 movement hesalite model.

Soldato
Also take the the consideration of the price hike of £1000 of the new model.. it's making me really itch for a 1861 movement hesalite model.
It's kind of only good news for Omega though - this new model with its higher price is bringing the prices up of all older Speedies, and therefore from a buyer's perspective, they're becoming more 'exclusive' and also they make less of a loss if selling on in future.

Associate
Have a couple of Omegas, few Rotarys and a couple of TW Steels used to love wearing them but now working from home the £35 Honor Band 5 is all that is on my wrist and to be honest will probably stay that way.

Soldato
Yeah
It's kind of only good news for Omega though - this new model with its higher price is bringing the prices up of all older Speedies, and therefore from a buyer's perspective, they're becoming more 'exclusive' and also they make less of a loss if selling on in future.

Yeah it's good for current owners. But it's putting them in to unreachable price for potential new owners. There's some that think Omega will steadily start to increase the cost of the new Speedy down the line I can see that happening. Seems to be the trend with luxury items over the past couple of years.

Soldato
Yeah

Yeah it's good for current owners. But it's putting them in to unreachable price for potential new owners. There's some that think Omega will steadily start to increase the cost of the new Speedy down the line I can see that happening. Seems to be the trend with luxury items over the past couple of years.
Surprised to see my Seamaster which I paid £2770 is now £4550. Bonkers.

Your thinking on the Hesalite 1861 is on bang on though. I say you just do it :D

Soldato
Surprised to see my Seamaster which I paid £2770 is now £4550. Bonkers.

Your thinking on the Hesalite 1861 is on bang on though. I say you just do it :D

It is insane the price hikes of late. I actually way prefer the older design of the Seamasters, either the gloss dial or the older smaller more tasteful wave design. It's not because I own one either. I really dislike what they've done with the new dial, looks like they've over laid a vector image. Plus the date window at 6 o'clock... why, do that. Yeah put me down as not a fan :).

Back to the Speedy, yeah I don't know. I swear around 6 years ago it was more like £3000? I wish I picked one up now further back in time. The new release is kind of forcing my hand in some respect, it's more expensive with less of an authentic movement and I know stock will all be dried up soon of the 1861 movement model.

Then the rumours of the Speedy under going further price hikes in the future, means this might be the only time I can realistically own one. Which would be a grail piece and family hand down, for certain. I have a pretty big fascination for all things space and a lot of that pull makes my head turn to the Speedy.

Soldato
That's a nice looking watch a FC make solid watches by all accounts. They are also investing in their movements as seen in their Monolithic series here with it's 40hz beat.

I do like the look of this watch. Only worry is brand name really and resale value. Even though £1600 is good value for this type of watch, it's a lot of money.

I don't know, every time I settle on something I like, I talk myself out of it :p

Money no object I'd just buy a speedmaster or seamaster and be done with it.

Man of Honour
The resale value should not be a factor if you like the watch. These are not Rolex references for example where resale matters to many. Sometimes you will lose a bit on a watch if you get bored of it and sell some time later, but that's the same with anything but the rarest of watches out there or limited run specials etc.

Soldato
I'm always drawn to that "money no object" you keep saying. Chucking £1600 on something you kind of but dont really want is a waste, I'd rather just get what I want even if it takes longer to get it.

You will always be looking at anything else thinking "wish I had bought the speedy/Seamaster"

Soldato
I'm always drawn to that "money no object" you keep saying. Chucking £1600 on something you kind of but dont really want is a waste, I'd rather just get what I want even if it takes longer to get it.

You will always be looking at anything else thinking "wish I had bought the speedy/Seamaster"

Yeah, I know what you mean and to be honest I can afford to buy one really nice watch, but I guess its Justifying to myself. Heart says get a seamaster, head says get something for about 1k and overpay the rest on the mortgage :p

I guess once we are allowed to buy things in shops again and I can try a few on, I'll come to a decision :)

Soldato
Yeah, I know what you mean and to be honest I can afford to buy one really nice watch, but I guess its Justifying to myself. Heart says get a seamaster, head says get something for about 1k and overpay the rest on the mortgage :p

I guess once we are allowed to buy things in shops again and I can try a few on, I'll come to a decision :)

I know the feeling, I pondered for years before buying my PO. We were coming back from Turks and Caicos when I popped into the shop at the airport (again) after trying it on we went back up to the lounge and my mrs just said "look we are here once, we have the money just bloody do it", ever get the feeling she gets fed up with my constant reviewing before buying lol.

I found it quite hard pulling the trigger on something which was only for me until my son claimed it when I die, oh yes I'm having that when you kick the bucket was more or less his words.

Soldato
I know the feeling, I pondered for years before buying my PO. We were coming back from Turks and Caicos when I popped into the shop at the airport (again) after trying it on we went back up to the lounge and my mrs just said "look we are here once, we have the money just bloody do it", ever get the feeling she gets fed up with my constant reviewing before buying lol.

I found it quite hard pulling the trigger on something which was only for me until my son claimed it when I die, oh yes I'm having that when you kick the bucket was more or less his words.

I guess if you can say it is your forever watch, then maybe you are saving money buying lots of cheaper ones over the years.

Maybe that is a way of Justifying it :D

Associate
I've always worked by the principal that if the watch starts gaining or losing time outside of it's normal operational levels, it's fine and just leave it alone. I guess if you really wanted to be accurate on that you'd get something to measure its beat rate.

If it does start changing it at least needs a new oiling, and that's the time to service it.

Obviously if something happens, like water gets into the watch, you have it serviced asap.

That's my opinion anyway. I'm sure plenty will disagree :p.

Back
Top Bottom