When are you going fully electric?

Soldato
Ya, mid £20k is still very reasonable and much more accessible for a lot more people. >30k must be quite a line for many, considering it's a quarter of a lot people's homes.

Not really. All that matters is if the PCP/PCH price + electric is in the same ball park as PCP/PCH price + petrol.

The RRP is basically irrelevant for nearly everyone because very few people go out and pay cash for cars, particularly bog standard hatchbacks. No discounts of a Tesla so it will be how much it costs, no one pays RRP for a BMW 1 series.

Also the ‘Tesla stretch’ is a real thing, in the states when the model 3 came out they released details of what people were trading in and it was mostly fairly run of the mill sedans and Prius’. More premium cars (e.g. 3 series) were way down the list.

Last edited:
Soldato
It's not that clear cut about the pricing since Berlin will be online by then, and the costs for logistics will be way lower, and less/no tariff barrier like coming from the US. Even if you add VAT plus 5% extra on top the £18k becomes £22.7k which seems about right for 2023 hatchback pricing for a base model.

Soldato
I don’t doubt it, but it is more expensive to do business in the EU. The made in China Model 3 is about the same as the US price and that should be cheaper to produce over there.

Soldato
Absolutely zero chance that will be £18k, I hate it when journalists do that, it’s just lazy journalism and causes loads of grief. $ prices are quoted without taxes and fees. Remember when the Model 3 first came out and people lost their minds because it was over £40k after being told it would be £30k for years by the press.

It will be closer to £25k-£28k based on EU model 3 prices. That said it will likely still be a decent option and knowing Tesla it will have 250+ miles on WLTP, probably closer to 300.
Yep.
Also including an image of the current Model Y ...........for £18k, yeah sure !!

Soldato
I don’t doubt it, but it is more expensive to do business in the EU. The made in China Model 3 is about the same as the US price and that should be cheaper to produce over there.

Tesla are still supply constrained though, so why would they lower the price right now? Entering a market that has actual competitors, like the Zoe/ID.3/Fiat 500 etc. means they'll need to be slightly price competitive, and we are at least 2 years away from the introduction. How much do you think the Model Y will come in at in the UK? I think it'll be £1500-3000 more than the starting price for the lowest Model 3 at the time of launch, on a like-for-like model basis.

Soldato
Not really. All that matters is if the PCP/PCH price + electric is in the same ball park as PCP/PCH price + petrol.

Of course a lower rrp will mean pcp/pch prices will come down more in line with pcp/pch for petrol though.

I'm sure fleets of these will be bought up by companies whose employees need to do shorter trips than the length of the country. Then the used market will be very reasonable to anyone wanting to buy an EV cash.... Or we can just stick to 35k+ EVs forever. I think tesla have the right idea and seem to be seeing their plan through of beginning with a premium model, developing their brand, then growing through much more affordable ranges.

Soldato

ev(phev too) insurance cost still seems a wild card, I read below thread talking about t3's being ~£600 ,
circumstantial, but, are ev's policies also having larger excesses too ? I'd never heard of a excess insurance before
https://www.speakev.com/threads/insurance-prices.157876/page-2

If you did have a bang too, would following premium increase be punitive (jury's out-ish ? given market infancy )

edit: interesting phev 25Kw/100km could take some of 3 series business .. no more 6's too
all the buttons & marmite vents

new Mercedes C-Class REVIEW - all you need to know about the small S-Class

Last edited:
Soldato
The £18k Tesla update was posted on March 30th :)

Yes i know and check out Voltswagon... Elon trying to keep stock prices high is crazy, I don't know how he gets away with it. Low end has never been the space they really want to operate in for their premium brand so this would be bonkers, that said I guess its the $25k car that battery day hinted at on closure with today's exchange rate applied. Kind of old news in my book and look at the Model 3 today for that post sales state specific tax / VAT between US & UK.

Could well be with the US federal state credits applied aswell.

Soldato
The Polestar 2 getting a good mention from Chris here, plus some other EV’s :p No iPace here :eek::cry:

ID3 - Pretty Good.

I will take that one Chris as we are due ours 28th May! :cry:

Must admit though the Polestar looks incredible. First time I have seen the Mustang and think it looks pretty cool also.

Soldato
edit: interesting phev 25Kw/100km could take some of 3 series business .. no more 6's too
all the buttons & marmite vents

new Mercedes C-Class REVIEW - all you need to know about the small S-Class

if current 15Kw one is anything to go by, its current phev option is 300kg heavier though 300hp 700nm
https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/mercedes/c-class/104889/new-mercedes-c-300-de-2021-review

couldn't get on with the pointy elbows air vents - distracting bling, though, p2 much nicer

51089258231_65728f6080_d.jpg

Soldato
if current 15Kw one is anything to go by, its current phev option is 300kg heavier though 300hp 700nm
https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/mercedes/c-class/104889/new-mercedes-c-300-de-2021-review

couldn't get on with the pointy elbows air vents - distracting bling, though, p2 much nicer

51089258231_65728f6080_d.jpg

I think that new Merc C Class looks very plush. It's definitely a step above the Polestar 2 in design and quality. Love the curve into the screen, the ambient lighting and the air vents.

Soldato
to me when I see the merc I think of a 60s push button radio style ... as a piece of retro dash design, back to the chrome of the usa cars dials/buttons maybe it is redeemed,
yes I don't doubt materials are nice,
sorry ambiant lighting, doesn't work for me either
The polestar batman projector's is it's only concession ?

51089848533_545f1be3cb_n_d.jpg

edit: for me merc eqc dash is nicer https://youtu.be/xJW3_b5pfZQ?t=128

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom