• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Should I OC my cpu? 3900xt (new build)

Associate
When I say new build I mean it's been built for 3 months but I will only now be getting a gpu that's worthy of a new build.

Last build I did was 9years ago with an Intel 2700k oced to 4.4~ undervolted.

My sig is my system: 3900xt, msi b550 unify, 64 gigs 3200 corsair ram.

My questions are:
1. I will only game about 30% of the time so I want the system to be stable and energy efficient when not gaming. Will ocing still be helpful (I've never owned an amd cpu).
2. If ocing will be helpful what is the best video or place to explain how.
3. I'd prefer a clock speed that is decent and doesn't crash and perhaps even energy efficient.
4. Anything else I should know about ocing an amd system? (ps ill be getting a 6700xt shortly).

Ty for the help.

Soldato
Depends what you do the other 70% of the time and whether it uses all cores or just a few.

I got 3900 and did mostly video editing so locked all cores at 4.25ghz on low voltage so it could run cool enough to hold all cores on that speed over long periods when rendering.

If I was gaming mostly or using just few cores I'd leave it on stock as they boost themselves quite well and that way you get higher single/few core performance.

Associate
OP
Depends what you do the other 70% of the time and whether it uses all cores or just a few.

I got 3900 and did mostly video editing so locked all cores at 4.25ghz on low voltage so it could run cool enough to hold all cores on that speed over long periods when rendering.

If I was gaming mostly or using just few cores I'd leave it on stock as they boost themselves quite well and that way you get higher single/few core performance.

Sounds like I should let it do its thing on its own.

Soldato
I’ve got a 3900xt that’s back to stock after a little pointless overclocking. They are best left alone imo to do their thing.

Associate
OP
I’ve got a 3900xt that’s back to stock after a little pointless overclocking. They are best left alone imo to do their thing.

Ok great, easier to do then. I just found out I may have a bad memory stick, why I was getting wierd crashes and things. Need to get that sorted.

Associate
Best results for overclocking with these AMD chips is actually achieved by undervolting the cpu and then "letting it do its own thing" which genearally means your cpu speed will increase MHz due to using less voltage and producing less heat.
The old method of whacking more volts in and creating more heat will force the cpu to dynamically reduce speed to keep the cpu within its desired heat range.

So if you are doing it right you will definitely NOT degrade your cpu if anything you can only improve its longevity.

Look into negative cpu vcore offset voltages.
Or improving cpu cooling.
Both options will give improvements.

If you do set a negative offset.
Benchmark before and after as beyond a certain point you will probably hit clock stretching which is where your cpu clocks appear to improve but your benchmark scores will start to decrease. if you see this backtrack until you restore your best benchmark score.

Last edited:
Soldato
Best results for overclocking with these AMD chips is actually achieved by undervolting the cpu and then "letting it do its own thing" which genearally means your cpu speed will increase MHz due to using less voltage and producing less heat.
The old method of whacking more volts in and creating more heat will force the cpu to dynamically reduce speed to keep the cpu within its desired heat range.

So if you are doing it right you will definitely NOT degrade your cpu if anything you can only improve its longevity.

Benchmark before and after as beyond a certain point you will probably hit clock stretching which is where your cpu clocks appear to improve but your benchmark scores will start to decrease. if you see this backtrack until you restore your best benchmark score.

Yep, I undervolted mine and still got more power overall. Gotta say these run hot. My custom wc loop keeps mine cool but I can see how others have problem without good AIO or something like the NHD14

Associate
OP

Ahh that sounds even better, I like the idea of under volting. I did that with my Intel and stuck it on 4.4 for years an old 2700k.

Soldato

My 3950x boosts to 4.25 all core with PBO (+200) and when it does go above that it's for a fraction at a time) and PBO adds quite a lot of volts. I might do the same as you fella. I have been OCing my memory and that has yielding another 10% in timespy cpu test so that might also be an avenue worth going down.

Back
Top Bottom