• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Anyone just given up on looking for a new GPU?

Associate
It is adjusting but slowly. It has doubled over the last 6 months (most of that in the last 3 months).

The price of ethereum has moved much more over the same period.

Even if difficulty doubles again over next 6 months (very likely to do at least that), these cards will be massively profitable.

What AMD and Nvidia should do is launch 4GB cards which are useless for mining ethereum and flood the market with them.

But is 4GB enough for most big games now? It would help people get a gpu as a stop gap, might even reduce the scalped prices of other cards if people have a cheaper alternative. But I don't think they will use what limited manufacturing resources they currently have on smaller cards when they have crazy demand for the more expensive cards. I am no expert in how they make the cards so I could be completely wrong.

Soldato
But is 4GB enough for most big games now? It would help people get a gpu as a stop gap, might even reduce the scalped prices of other cards if people have a cheaper alternative. But I don't think they will use what limited manufacturing resources they currently have on smaller cards when they have crazy demand for the more expensive cards. I am no expert in how they make the cards so I could be completely wrong.

A low cost GPU could be manufactured on an older fab like Global Foundries 12nm. Then it wouldn't take any resources away from the higher end 7nm GPUs.

Soldato

You are right, it doesn't make financial sense. It's only if they truly care about gamers. With nvidia sending fab capacity to creating mining cards, it doesn't seem likely.

4GB should still be okay for 1080p.

A low cost GPU could be manufactured on an older fab like Global Foundries 12nm. Then it wouldn't take any resources away from the higher end 7nm GPUs.

They would also have to use older designs made for 12nm. AMD don't have anything recent and nvidia are directing it to mining cards.

Stu

Stu

Soldato
If there are shortages of "raw materials" needed for PC components, won't manufacturing 4GB cards have a negative impact on production of ampere cards?

Associate
I wouldn't say I've given up on a new card, just really disappointed with the entire situation. I'm still rocking a 1070 so i can play games so that great. But its the entire situation of scalping and the speed at which things are going out of stock, 10 mins and there all gone. How many are these people getting in stock? 2 200 2000? I mentioned the thing to my mate and he just jokingly said well that's capitalism, which it is i suppose.

I'm curious as to how many cards are locked up in scalpers hands trying to be sold at up to double the base cost? Its seems to happen all the time now, companies vastly underestimate the popularity of an item (or limit its numbers in the first launch to up press coverage) and then the scalpers move in and buy everything up. The NES mini was the first item this happened with that affected me. Its like the rainforest has it, oh its out of stock, but then the monkeys there are selling for twice the price?

Ah well, ill just wait, i only wanted the new card for Cyberpunk 2077.... glad I didn't preorder.

Thats my 2c
B

Soldato
Not giving up at all. Managed to get the 6700XT from OcUK last week but the hunt is still on for the ever-elusive RTX 3080

Soldato
If there are shortages of "raw materials" needed for PC components, won't manufacturing 4GB cards have a negative impact on production of ampere cards?

The "shortage" is much more to do with demand. If mining demand can be removed somehow, then it would help everyone else, although things will likely still be sold out. The prices should however be lower as there is no investment case for buying these cards for crazy sums.

Stu

Stu

Soldato
The "shortage" is much more to do with demand. If mining demand can be removed somehow, then it would help everyone else, although things will likely still be sold out. The prices should however be lower as there is no investment case for buying these cards for crazy sums.

Yes, but the demand is for everything needing semiconductors... CPUs, consoles, phones... I'm not sure adding an extra product in the mix will radically improve availability of other products.

Soldato
Yes, but the demand is for everything needing semiconductors... CPUs, consoles, phones... I'm not sure adding an extra product in the mix will radically improve availability of other products.

I'm saying you reduce production of cards like the 3070 and 3080. Better to produce cards that 100% go to gamers' hands rather than cards that get split between gamers and miners. Even when gamers do get the cards, there is a strong temptation to just sell them on ebay to miners.

AMD are clearly just channelling everything into the PS5 and Xbox, either because they are contractually obliged or realise that desktop cards are likely just ending up with miners anyway.

Soldato
I wouldn't say I've given up on a new card, just really disappointed with the entire situation. I'm still rocking a 1070 so i can play games so that great. But its the entire situation of scalping and the speed at which things are going out of stock, 10 mins and there all gone. How many are these people getting in stock? 2 200 2000? I mentioned the thing to my mate and he just jokingly said well that's capitalism, which it is i suppose.

I'm curious as to how many cards are locked up in scalpers hands trying to be sold at up to double the base cost? Its seems to happen all the time now, companies vastly underestimate the popularity of an item (or limit its numbers in the first launch to up press coverage) and then the scalpers move in and buy everything up. The NES mini was the first item this happened with that affected me. Its like the rainforest has it, oh its out of stock, but then the monkeys there are selling for twice the price?

Ah well, ill just wait, i only wanted the new card for Cyberpunk 2077.... glad I didn't preorder.

Thats my 2c
B

The 5800X is the only product that seems to have beaten the scalpers so far, but it's not a hot mining component, so the demand was easier to meet.

Still, it proves that it can be done.

Associate
the only good thing from the current madness market is my rx5700 funded the purchase of my rx6700xt

And could have got a lot more but its gone to a gamer for his son and can live with that

Permabanned
If you ever took the time to look back through my comments, my opinion has been changing with time. I was originally going to get a 3080, but as time has gone by I have started to question whether the memory is enough, whether it just runs too hot ( I am a cooling nut so hot VRAM is just one more thing that pushes me away from the 3080 ), whether they will ever come down in price and so on. All the little pushes have duFor now I have given up and even with the money I will not buy one. I have a number of PC projects instead, I am going to upgrade my storage at home which needs half a dozen new drives. Come the end of the year I may actually get a 3070 to keep me going until the 4080 comes out. I dunno. The end of the year is a long way away.

Associate
If you ever took the time to look back through my comments, my opinion has been changing with time. I was originally going to get a 3080, but as time has gone by I have started to question whether the memory is enough, whether it just runs too hot ( I am a cooling nut so hot VRAM is just one more thing that pushes me away from the 3080 ), whether they will ever come down in price and so on. All the little pushes have duFor now I have given up and even with the money I will not buy one. I have a number of PC projects instead, I am going to upgrade my storage at home which needs half a dozen new drives. Come the end of the year I may actually get a 3070 to keep me going until the 4080 comes out. I dunno. The end of the year is a long way away.

The sapphire nitro rx6700 is really cool but to be fair a 3070 is better

Soldato
An inefficient process at a time when climate change is happening and we need to conserve energy.
A currency that is heavily used in criminal activity, I haven't had a scammer try to use anything other than bitcoin in recent times.
At a time when there are chip shortages, encouraging people to consume processors simply to make money to afford the processor and the gold toilet they want to buy.

I would say yes. Yes is the answer.

Governments should have banned this **** ages ago. They are useless when it comes to technology though* and probably won't get involved though until it affects stuff like national security or medical equipment. Which it will, given time.

*remember when they wanted to make downloading a movie a criminal offense? Or how they still don't recognise gambling lootboxes as gambling? Or how a good percentage of the country still doesn't have adequate broadband capabilities? Despite the information technology age, we are still run by dinosaurs.

I can vouch for that, I live close'ish to London and the best I can get is 13Mbps down and 0.33Mbps up, Makes any online activity irritating.

Permabanned
I'm curious as to how many cards are locked up in scalpers hands trying to be sold at up to double the base cost?

I will probably get in to trouble for this statement, but I have noticed an increasing number of "I bought four" posts in the forum, which although I get people are buying, trying and selling on the ones they don't want, they are still contributing to the problem. For the weeks they are deciding and then auctioning the card, that card is off the market. I wish people would just be reasonable and buy one and not every single card they can get their hands on. They are only doing this because somewhere in the back of their heads they know they at least won't make a loss on the resale. HMRC must be having huge fun pouncing on ebayers at the moment, lol.

Associate
I will probably get in to trouble for this statement, but I have noticed an increasing number of "I bought four" posts in the forum, which although I get people are buying, trying and selling on the ones they don't want, they are still contributing to the problem. For the weeks they are deciding and then auctioning the card, that card is off the market. I wish people would just be reasonable and buy one and not every single card they can get their hands on. They are only doing this because somewhere in the back of their heads they know they at least won't make a loss on the resale. HMRC must be having huge fun pouncing on ebayers at the moment, lol.

Greed.

Associate
I've definitely given up I think. I started buying parts in November having pre-ordered the 5900x. I only received that last week.
Thus far I have bought everything except a GPU. I even bought a 38" ultrawide (which I do use for work), but is primarily a gaming monitor.

I can't wait to actually game on this thing, but for the foreseeable future, it's going to be an excel display, unless I look out and land something.

Caporegime
I've definitely given up I think. I started buying parts in November having pre-ordered the 5900x. I only received that last week.
Thus far I have bought everything except a GPU. I even bought a 38" ultrawide (which I do use for work), but is primarily a gaming monitor.

I can't wait to actually game on this thing, but for the foreseeable future, it's going to be an excel display, unless I look out and land something.

If you can afford a whole new rig and a 38" ultra wide just pay the £150 extra and get a 3070 off eBay for £900

Soldato
I was hoping for another mm deal, losing the will to be bothered anymore and I think the new sub forum will probably be a cesspit of buyers of all varieties.

Back
Top Bottom