• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Intel 11400 - a gem for gamers?

Soldato
Half tempted to replace my 4790k with an 11400/b560 setup to put me on until DDR5 arrives.

I’ve waited so long though

Associate
The 11400/600? I'd be kinda surprised, Intels 14nm yields should be damn near perfect by this point and it would make more sense financially to have 2 tapeouts I think.
It's hard to get this info (or my Google'ing failed me), but the WikiChip has some figures for previous gens. According to them (it's no the proper Wikipedia as almost nothing has references), Coffee Lake had Quad, Hex and Octo dies:
https://en.wikichip.org/wiki/intel/microarchitectures/coffee_lake#Die
Which would imply that the high volume Celeron and Pentium had half their dies disabled.
For Comet Lake the die section is empty:
https://en.wikichip.org/wiki/intel/microarchitectures/comet_lake#Die
Whereas Rocket Lake is mostly empty placeholders for now.
Intel certainly usually have enough volume to do multiple tapeouts, so unless Alder Lake is really really close, I would expect that to be the case this time too.
Unsure if Intel ever use multiple dies for the same product, but if they do then the Hex cores might still use the Octo die at least for now if they have lots of parts which can't hit i9 speeds but with 14nm being so old by now I too would expect that yield-wise most Octo would be 8 core even if they won't bin to be an i9.
Maybe once i3 downwards release they'll have actually Hex, Quads, and even Duals.

Soldato
But yeh 5600x is overpriced right now. At £200 it would be much better value.

That's my feeling. If AMD brought out a non-X 6 core 5600 for nearer £200 it would be the sweet spot for price/performance. I suspect they will in the next few months as a response to the 11400 in order to attract the mainstream audience for the 5000 series chips. £300 is more than most are willing to pay for a CPU in my experience.

Odd that Intel are looking like they provide the best value in the ~£150 range. As others have said buy it now before Intel nerfs it's availablity to force you into their more expensive chips :D

Last edited:
Associate
I built an ITX last week with an 11400 for my good wife. So far it’s been great for us. Really happy with it.
We paired it with an ASRock H570 board. Superb for the money imo.

Soldato
I built an ITX last week with an 11400 for my good wife. So far it’s been great for us. Really happy with it.
We paired it with an ASRock H570 board. Superb for the money imo.

Currently in the process of an ITX build similar to yours.

The only mobo i can find is the B560 ASUS ROG at the moment, was hoping for the Gigabyte to show in stock.

Associate
Currently in the process of an ITX build similar to yours.

The only mobo i can find is the B560 ASUS ROG at the moment, was hoping for the Gigabyte to show in stock.

the asrock was one of the few in stock when I ordered. It has its own issues though. The main one being only one of the three fan headers can detect 3 pin fans being connected. The result of this is that you either have to use all pwm fans or a splitter. Problem is that I have a pwm aio attached that depends on pwm for correct operation and the fans just run at 100% all of the time as there is no DC control.
It’s not the end of the world, I purchased a couple of pwm fans but the aio fan is an rgb model. It’s quite annoying actually.

Last edited:
Soldato
the asrock was one of the few in stock when I ordered. It has its own issues though. The main one being only one of the three fan headers can detect 3 pin fans being connected. The result of this is that you either have to use all pwm fans or a splitter. Problem is that I have a pwm aio attached that depends on pwm for correct operation and the fans just run at 100% all of the time as there is no DC control.
It’s not the end of the world, I purchased a couple of pwm fans but the aio fan is an rgb model. It’s quite annoying actually.

What case did you choose? Thinking of the H210.

Was tempted to get the 11600K but not sure if a B560 chipset can be used to OC a K series, only mem speed.

Might just get the 11400 if that's the case.

Soldato
Just ordered a 11400 and H570 matx board.

I needed 2 x m.2 slots, an m.2 wifi slot and at least an x1 at the bottom for a sound card. So had to wait a few days for an appropriate board. Looking forward to having a play.

You can get the hitman 3 bundle if you have a look. The two free games making this very good value for money.

Edit: 11400/ H570

Last edited:
Associate
Soldato
Just ordered a 11400 and H570 matx board.

I needed 2 x m.2 slots, an m.2 wifi slot and at least an x1 at the bottom for a sound card. So had to wait a few days for an appropriate board. Looking forward to having a play.

You can get the hitman 3 bundle if you have a look. The two free games making this very good value for money.

Edit: 11400/ H570

I haven't googled it (yet), but do you (or anyone) happen to know the difference between a H570 and a B560?

Is one more advantageous than the other?

Back
Top Bottom