• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

980ti died, what do you suggest?

Half my computer is used parts. I've never bought a brand new CPU for example, it's also using a second hand power supply and ram. My previous graphics card was also used and worked brilliantly (was a 1080 gtx).

I'd buy used, and keep an eye out for newer cards when they become available. I think the 1xxx series cards are probably the best value at the minute used, 2xxx and 3xxx series cards are going for crazy amounts.

Right on, there's nothing wrong with 2nd hand parts so long as you buy from a reputable source. i.e parts shown in anti-stat not lying on a thick pile carpet is usually a good start. :D

Soldato
i suggest:

vasle.jpg

I would suggest researching necromancy, even if you have to sacrifice an animal, do whatever it takes to bring it back from the dead

Associate
OP
Omg I want to cry. After last night when I was messing with the copper which was showing and somehow got the 2nd case fan to work. I come home from work and flattened the copper down some more and guess what, my entire system booted on. I'm posting this on my computer. I don't know if I should laugh or cry, I ordered an entire new pc which comes Tuesday and now my old one is working again.

I really don't know what to do anymore. I spend an entire week with no pc and now I'm using it like nothing happened. What did I do to deserve this stuff. what do i do now?

https://gyazo.com/c760bbfe574127081b46738491bbbbc5

Caporegime
You send everything back and get on with your life?
No big deal...
You wasted about 100 quid in return shipping probably.

Stop tinkering with components, you dont sound like you know what you are doing.

Soldato
If you have to shove pieces of copper back into place to get your system to boot ...don't, seriously it could be a fire hazard now. I would just scrap all the burnt components if I were you.

Soldato

Looks like the trace had worn through or just shorted on something and gone bang.

If it’s working when messing around with “the copper” chances are all your need is to trim the dodgy crinkled trace back a bit. Solder a bridge wire between the two points put some glue and electrical tape to affix the wire or solder mask over and it would be good to go for another few years.

Current GPU pricing situation is a joke, even 2nd hand. Prebuilt in this situation with the burned board is probably best.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Looks like the trace had worn through or just shorted on something and gone bang.

If it’s working when messing around with “the copper” chances are all your need is to trim the dodgy crinkled trace back a bit. Solder a bridge wire between the two points put some glue and electrical tape to affix the wire or solder mask over and it would be good to go for another few years.

Current GPU pricing situation is a joke, even 2nd hand. Prebuilt in this situation with the burned board is probably best.

I feel sick. I spent the entire week depressed searching for parts for new pc. my parts arrived tuesday. i just need some reassuring that i should stick with my new parts. this pc is 6+ years old now, my 980ti died in it i think i should just enjoy the new parts which come. right?

Associate
OP
If you have to shove pieces of copper back into place to get your system to boot ...don't, seriously it could be a fire hazard now. I would just scrap all the burnt components if I were you.

did you see the picture? is it really dangerous to have it running like this?

Soldato
I feel sick. I spent the entire week depressed searching for parts for new pc. my parts arrived tuesday. i just need some reassuring that i should stick with my new parts. this pc is 6+ years old now, my 980ti died in it i think i should just enjoy the new parts which come. right?

Sure. It’s probably wise to have new parts once things start dying and there is no knowing how long that board will last. Sometimes newer parts are just better in the long run. I’ve seen people save old stuff put a brand new card in and blow it to pieces with a 10 year old PSU that decides to fail.

Put it this way you will have all new parts with new warranty and the new system will be much more capable than the old one, things have come a fair way in 6+ years.

The only issue really is gpu stock which is a complete joke atm. Even 2nd hand prices are severely inflated.

Associate
OP
Sure. It’s probably wise to have new parts once things start dying and there is no knowing how long that board will last. Sometimes newer parts are just better in the long run. I’ve seen people save old stuff put a brand new card in and blow it to pieces with a 10 year old PSU that decides to fail.

Put it this way you will have all new parts with new warranty and the new system will be much more capable than the old one, things have come a fair way in 6+ years.

The only issue really is gpu stock which is a complete joke atm. Even 2nd hand prices are severely inflated.

Yeah I really dont know what to do. I dont want to buy pre owned one.

Associate

Don't say that! I just put my new card into my old pc.. PSU from 03/2008 rest of the parts from early 2009!!
psu-0308.jpg

Soldato
just pick something old that can handle 1080p low/medium maybe 970

buying anything decent seems a no no at mo unless you get a 3090 (lol) just gotta wait the current situation out :/

Soldato
Yeah I really dont know what to do. I dont want to buy pre owned one.

IMO id purchase say a 3070 or 3080 FE for RRP direct from nvidia. I believe they go in stock around 2pm a few times a week but I’d check daily.

3070 £469
3080 £649

I wouldn’t pay anything above those prices.

And if you can get a 2nd hand card until then to keep you going.

Also if the 980Ti is dead sell on eBay and I’d bet you get £50-100 for it.

Associate
OP
IMO id purchase say a 3070 or 3080 FE for RRP direct from nvidia. I believe they go in stock around 2pm a few times a week but I’d check daily.

3070 £469
3080 £649

I'm scared to get anything second hand after seeing my 980ti burn up and breaking my motherboard especially when I looked after it

Sorry what does FE mean AMD is it worth it?

Caporegime

3070 £469
3080 £649

Good luck with that. Drops are infrequent and unless you're very quick and very lucky you won't get anything. You need to be on your PC or phone and subscribed to an alert service, race through the Captcha and PayPal and even then they're usually gone before you can get one.

It is possible but it is very hard currently.

Soldato
Good luck with that. Drops are infrequent and unless you're very quick and very lucky you won't get anything. You need to be on your PC or phone and subscribed to an alert service, race through the Captcha and PayPal and even then they're usually gone before you can get one.

It is possible but it is very hard currently.

True but likely the only chance OP has until stock becomes normality. I've seen all of the above cards in stock a few times. Ideally yes needs to be signed up to notify and be fully prepped to purchase. A small chance is better than nothing.

I'm scared to get anything second hand after seeing my 980ti burn up and breaking my motherboard especially when I looked after it

Sorry what does FE mean AMD is it worth it?

FE is the founders edition model produced by nvidia. AIB partners such as ASUS etc tend to overcharge by a lot for a marginally better cooler and rgb nonsense. FE 3080 is £649, Asus model even with normal prices you'd be talking another £100-150-200 on top of that.

AMD is very much worth it although they dont really have the raytracing or DLSS performance if thats something you're bothered about, same story really though stock levels are very poor.

Associate
OP
True but likely the only chance OP has until stock becomes normality. I've seen all of the above cards in stock a few times. Ideally yes needs to be signed up to notify and be fully prepped to purchase. A small chance is better than nothing.

FE is the founders edition model produced by nvidia. AIB partners such as ASUS etc tend to overcharge by a lot for a marginally better cooler and rgb nonsense. FE 3080 is £649, Asus model even with normal prices you'd be talking another £100-150-200 on top of that.

AMD is very much worth it although they dont really have the raytracing or DLSS performance if thats something you're bothered about, same story really though stock levels are very poor.

I have no chance to get a gpu :(

Associate
oh no no no. i bought the parts myself.

Case - Planteks Eclipse P500 Air ATX
CPU - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X Eight-Core Processor/CPU, without Cooler
Motherboard - MSI MAG X570 TOMAHAWK WIFI AMD X570 Chipset (Socket AM4) ATX Motherboard
PSU - Corsair HX Series? HX850 ? 850 Watt 80 PLUS® Platinum Certified Fully Modular
RAM - G.SKILL TRIDENT Z NEO 32GB CL18 (2x16GB) DDR4 3600MHz Dual Channel Memory (RAM) Kit
SSD - WD SN750 1TB NVME M.2
CPU Cooler - Noctua NH-D15S Dual Radiator Quiet CPU Cooler

will arrive in a few days
Wow. 1400 seems a bit much. Not ocuk?

Soldato

3070 £469
3080 £649

If life was that easy. 3080 fe or aibs hardly show up and when they do they are in single figures and gone by time you click the alerts and the aibs are now starting at £1200 for a 3080. Even 3090s are now in that same boat. Best advice I can give anyone NEEDING a gpu is grab the first one you see that will do what you need at a sensible price for now, if you have a working card just wait for the one you really want.

Back
Top Bottom