Mice under decking

Associate
I keep hens so mice are constant, not a problem if kept under control if not they multiply at a heel of a rate . I have 2 electric traps off amazon works well with a blob of peanut butter in as bait.
When the traps stay empty for 2 days on the trot I don't put them out for a while.

Soldato
Don't poison them- dead animals stink.

Traps, checked regularly, are the best answer. Cheap spring traps work well. Don't handle them too much before putting them down.

Soldato
Poison is much more effective as it's carried back to the young and the whole nest is killed. Not nice but I spent years with traps and still got the odd one scratching about behind the walls, poison took them out entirely. (Very old house that came with free mouse infestation).

Can't type for toffee
Don
@Cadder

I'm with the other that poison is a horrible way to do it

I got one of these:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000YPTFRK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

whack food in it and check it a couple of times a day.
Bird Seed n chocolate seemed to do the trick.

There was 6 in my garage, got them all and not seen anything else since, dropped them all off at once at a local forest.
Luckily I did this just in time as when I let them loose in the woods there was a handful of pinkies in the box too :(
Tried my best to put them with the other mice but I expect they didn't survive

Soldato
Wasn't there some peanut butter and bucket trap thing you could do to capture them without killing them? then you can relocate them.

TBH live trapping and relocating isn't great, the mice almost certainly die soon after release from exposure, predation etc.

Poison is much more effective as it's carried back to the young and the whole nest is killed. Not nice but I spent years with traps and still got the odd one scratching about behind the walls, poison took them out entirely. (Very old house that came with free mouse infestation).

Remember these are outside and not in a house. Poison is just not nice, infects the food chain and is a horrible death. Just don't do it.

Soldato
OP

Ordered one. Not comfortable with poison and don't really want the mice dead, I just don't want them getting in the house or garage. I also don't want them swarming around the garden. If numbers stay low then it should be fine. I'll try this trap and then after a few days of it not catching anything I'll mesh the decking edges, or lift up the boards and fill with pea/marine gravel.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

Soldato
OP
That trap worked, after being sat out for about a week. Only caught one but we relocated it a few miles away. Hopefully it enjoys its new home.

Tbf after all the activity that one night we haven't seen much going on recently.

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

We have a few mice under our decking but they can't get in the house and as they keep the slug population down I leave them be (along with some frogs/toads and a couple of hedgehogs).

Can't type for toffee
Don
That trap worked, after being sat out for about a week. Only caught one but we relocated it a few miles away. Hopefully it enjoys its new home.

Tbf after all the activity that one night we haven't seen much going on recently.

Awesome update mate :) problem free n no squished moose!

Id give it a week after then put the trap back out maybe with diff food and see if theres any more :)

Man of Honour

The rest of the gang are out looking for the one mouse you relocated.

You wait till they get back home there gonna be MAD :D

Back
Top Bottom