OverClockers Twitchers' Thread

Soldato
OP
Funnily enough, mentioning Blackcaps, I've had a male in my garden the past few days.

I also seem to have a regular Blackbird as well now :)

Associate
I'm lucky in that I get most of the garden birds (except house sparrows..), as well as great-spotted woodpeckers, a green woodpecker and nuthatch. The bad weather brought in some redwings over the past few days which was nice to see.

Don
my backgarden seems to be aviary - get quite a few species. The normal ****, sparrows, collared doves; But also a few gold finches, great spotted woodpeckers (who visit daily), Jay's, Dunnocks and more. There's also a buzzard or two overhead too - which makes sense as the amount of birds in my tinyish garden is would be good feeding grounds for them!

Had a sparrow hawk a couple of times too after the poor Sparrows.

The birds are a great addition - my 8 month old has grown up watching them and always gets excited when the sparrows come in hordes to start feeding - queue lots of squealing and waving :D

Soldato
Today... was a day of war.... A pair of crows have discovered my garden sanctuary. However in the overlooking trees adjacent, up high is a gang of Magpie thugs and their nests. The numbers are heavily stacked to the magpies. It has been a day of viscous swooping attacks by the Magpies. Charging in with their battle cries. The crows however are resilient, refusing to leave the battlefield even after multiple skirmishes have broken out. Even the front garden cctv camera has been trigger happy by all the action. But the crows are smart, working in pairs to single out and counter attack any isolated Magpies. The battle has gone on long into the day and it would appear there is a ceasefire until dawn. Who will win out as victor, only time will tell.

Soldato
We drove to my wife's parents today and I lost count the amount of crows chasing buzzards and red kites away from their nests. They are certainly confident in groups.

I don't think I will ever get over how impressive red kites are. There were a pair of them about 50ft above us today for a good while and they are fantastic.

We also had a pair of herons fly over head when I was in the garden earlier. First time I've ever seen more than one together.

Soldato
OP
We drove to my wife's parents today and I lost count the amount of crows chasing buzzards and red kites away from their nests. They are certainly confident in groups.

I don't think I will ever get over how impressive red kites are. There were a pair of them about 50ft above us today for a good while and they are fantastic.

We also had a pair of herons fly over head when I was in the garden earlier. First time I've ever seen more than one together.
I saw a Heron the other day - no idea what it's doing over here - somebody must have a nice new fish pond. :D

Soldato
I didn’t know there was a twitchers thread.

Whilst I was out on my motorbike in the Peak District last summer I spotted what appeared (to me at least) to be an Eagle.
I pulled over to find several bird watchers observing it.
Turns out it was a Bearded Vulture!

Soldato
I just love to watch and listen but Havnt a clue of type ect, get birds of prey here a lot soaring in pairs and have a feeder outside my living room, I'm guessing these were gulls I was watching in tintagel but type? Just like to watch and listen
Screenshot-20210404-090438-com-android-gallery3d.jpg

Soldato
Watching two pairs of buzzards a sparrow hawk or two and a couple of red kites in my OHs mother's back garden, grand day.
Buzzards stayed most of the day I'm the area as well so assume they nest close bye

Soldato
OP
Watching two pairs of buzzards a sparrow hawk or two and a couple of red kites in my OHs mother's back garden, grand day.
Buzzards stayed most of the day I'm the area as well so assume they nest close bye
Sparrow hawks are absolutely amazing birds. I've not seen the male and female that were visiting frequently around for a while though. Maybe they found better hunting :)

Back
Top Bottom