TV Licence Super Thread

Soldato
I had an inspector round once, he asked if he could pop in I said yeah sure. He then said he has no need its fine. Clearly one of the better one out there. I didnt have a TVL as I dont watch broadcast TV etc. Still dont as I just use Prime, Netflix, Disney and YT

Soldato
I wouldn't let TV licence people into my house, but I do agree it's not on to be calling people stupid. What's the point in a discussion if it's resulting in personal insults to those you disagree with?

I'm not calling anyone stupid I'm saying it is a stupid thing to do, there is a difference (at least to me there is).

I never said everybody should do that, but if they are annoying you, showing up all the time and you really don't need a tv licence, it is for sure the easiest thing to do

I think we will have to agree to disagree on that one, I'd never let anyone in that I didn't have a specific appointment with, besides friends/relatives etc.

Soldato
I feel like this thread goes around in circles - We've discussed this to death now.

Don't let them into your house - All you need is one inspector with a stick up their ****. I've heard of these guys trying to stitch people up. For example, you have BBC iPlayer installed on your TV (by default) and they'll sting you that way.

Soldato
I feel like this thread goes around in circles - We've discussed this to death now.

Don't let them into your house - All you need is one inspector with a stick up their ****. I've heard of these guys trying to stitch people up. For example, you have BBC iPlayer installed on your TV (by default) and they'll sting you that way.
Yeah a lot of TVs won't even let you uninstall the app, that's exactly why I wouldn't let them in. I don't have an account but I doubt that would matter in their minds.

Soldato
If you really don't need a tv licence, just let them in and they will not bother you anymore.
I used to think like that as for years I had a good expreince with the inspectors. Now I know better the worst thing you can do even if you are correctly following the rules is to let them in. Just don't, its asking for trouble. You might get a few years of being ok but it can all of a sudden turn nasty even if you stay friendly and are doing nothing wrong.

Just let them in and they wont bother you anymore is bad advice. Its a gamble letting them in which can make the situation worse.

Soldato
Streaming quality does not match bluray quality. Blurays have higher bitrates. So the answer is that people who want the best quality legal option will buy them.

His argument was also that you could buy the blurays for the very few shows that BBC put out that would actually be worth watching, so you could watch them legally without needing a TVL, and it would probably be cheaper on an annual basis.

Soldato
Streaming quality does not match bluray quality. Blurays have higher bitrates. So the answer is that people who want the best quality legal option will buy them.

His argument was also that you could buy the blurays for the very few shows that BBC put out that would actually be worth watching, so you could watch them legally without needing a TVL, and it would probably be cheaper on an annual basis.
You could also just wait until the decent BBC series come on Netflix, which many of them do.

Soldato
That is not the point, also who buys dvds or blu rays nowadays? :D
It's the point for me as I don't see any value for money in TV nowadays, the news is manipulatory(if that's a word) and most "reality" shows are fake so nothing for me.

I still buy the occasional blu ray or 4K blu ray as its cheaper for me than downloading when my Internet speed is getting worse and worse!!

Back
Top Bottom