• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

How are people getting GPU's ?

Caporegime
My Monitor ▷ ASUS ROG Swift PG35VQ 35" 3440x1440 200Hz VA … | OcUK (overclockers.co.uk)

But i didn't pay that amount ;)

No i haven't spent 10k on my PC in the last 4 years but am just saying it would be very easy to do if you wanted too

My monitor (32" version)

https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/samsung/odyssey-g7

Whilst I appreciate yours has FALD and better HDR, etc and is ultra widescreen which personally not a fan of but I know a lot are so I will say similar screen sizes otherwise.

I honestly don't think that's worth £2k more than my monitor. I know I'm likely to be biased but if you offered me that monitor for £2.5k I'd say no thanks Jeff.

Even at £1.5k it would be no thanks. Even at £1k. I'd be tempted at around the £750 mark. I do appreciate what it is though but it's horrific value for money.

Soldato
but it's horrific value for money.
For me it not
I look at it as i most likely spend more of my life looking at the screen of this monitor then anything else i do in my life (apart from work)
God knows how many hours per day everyday i spend staring at this screen(browsing the net, playing games, watching youtube etc)

Last edited:
Associate
Very kind of the op to give his graphics card to his cousin.

As has been mentioned check the graphics card section and members market for vouchers, as they are supposed to be doing a drop this week, all being well.

Associate
I think you just have to be lucky or have over 1000 posts: they made a voucher system for people with 1k posts

not slictly true they did a public listing as well for 400 cards

but prebuilt pc is the best way at the minute it makes sense for the vendors to sell a complete system with the limited stock atm

Associate
The OCUK promos, whenever they go live on the new system, will be your best chance of getting a GPU. So far, these offers have been live for tens of minutes, which is unheard of in the current market :p

The next best opportunity is to sign up to an alerts system. But we can't go in to much detail on here, as they advertise OCUK competitors.

the public voucher code was live and with stock for more than 30 minutes think I bought mine after 25 minutes spotted it when I got back from the shop

and managed to buy one

but obviously people who have bought one in that shouldnt really be looking to buy one in a future drop as much as I want a 3080 the ethics are a little off

Caporegime
For me it not
I look at it as i most likely spend more of my life looking at the screen of this monitor then anything else i do in my life (apart from work)
God knows how many hours per day everyday i spend staring at this screen(browsing the net, playing games, watching youtube etc)

I hope you have a calibrator then at least.

Would be a shame not to or does it come factory calibrated?

My calibrator is arguably the best thing Ive ever bought I used to buy IPS screens because anything else looked awful but then all the decent gaming panels were TN. I bought a Dell that was highly rated and sold the old monitor and I regretted buying it as it looked washed out.

Luckily a calibrator popped up second hand for cheap and I jumped on it. I swear after Calibrating the screen using displaycal it looked just as good as the IPS did.

I've kept the calibrator since and done every screen including laptops. It's a true game changer. I do agree that a screen is important but there comes a point when that's too much.

Personally I would have bought an OLED with that kind of budget. Would have been a bigger screen to boot with better warranty and just wall mounted it. Would have paid for the screen burn protection at John Lewis and jobs a good un.

I've even offered to calibrate mates monitors for a few quid and they all say no thanks. It's amazing how many people are fine looking at crap images and I do appreciate that monitor is a thing of beauty. The number of zones it has will make it flawless too for bleed. It's worth a lot more than other monitors for sure but there's no way I could say it's worth its asking price when slightly weaker alternatives are available for much cheaper and a calibrator would sort most screens out tbh.

Soldato
I hope you have a calibrator then at least.

Would be a shame not to or does it come factory calibrated?
It comes factory calibrated, But am still going be buying a calibrator to check it at some point,
But there not cheap for the ones that can do 1000+nits
(Am looking at buying the X-Rite I1 Display Pro Plus )
Personally I would have bought an OLED with that kind of budget. Would have been a bigger screen to boot with better warranty and just wall mounted it. Would have paid for the screen burn protection at John Lewis and jobs a good un.
OLED are really great but i think there no way i would want a huge 48" glossy screen as my pc monitor

Last edited:
Associate
My monitor (32" version)

https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/samsung/odyssey-g7

Whilst I appreciate yours has FALD and better HDR, etc and is ultra widescreen which personally not a fan of but I know a lot are so I will say similar screen sizes otherwise.

I honestly don't think that's worth £2k more than my monitor. I know I'm likely to be biased but if you offered me that monitor for £2.5k I'd say no thanks Jeff.

Even at £1.5k it would be no thanks. Even at £1k. I'd be tempted at around the £750 mark. I do appreciate what it is though but it's horrific value for money.

No offense, but that monitor is garbage ( the g7).

‘arguably the best gaming monitor’ not even close.

Either you’re on a CX oled or a top end HDR monitor (2000E + ) - if you care about IQ in HDR.

If you mean SDR only, there are other better monitors out there.

Associate
▷ 8Pack OrionX2 Dual System Extreme Overclocked… | OcUK (overclockers.co.uk)

But being more serious i think it pretty easy to spend close to 10k on a PC

Motherboard & CPU = £1000+
£3090 = £2000
Storage Two 4TB m.2 or SSD etc = £1000
Monitor = £2000
Valve VR heat set = £1000

There 7k just there
And then you got keyboards, mouse, PSU, Games, Case, Fans, CPU cooler/water cooling, Memory , speakers etc etc

Motherboard & CPU = 150 (B550) +750 (5950X) = 900£
3090 = £1400
One 1TB PCI4 m2 = £150
32GB of good memory = £300
850W PSU = £125
Monitor = 4K OLED LG = £1200
Keyboard and mouse = £100
Water cooler = £100
Case = £100
Headphones = £50

VR head set who need that rubbish?

That's a top of the range Computer for 4.4K. Really its not that expensive... thats a 4k gaming rig. Sorted.

Associate
£2k on a monitor?

Are you having a giraffe?

I bought arguably the best gaming monitor available for less than £500 brand new.

Samsung odyssey G7

Also you don't need a £1000 on a CPU and motherboard. Mine cost maybe £250-£275 and again will be in the top few percent gaming wise a 3600x with a second hand b350 motherboard.

GPU again I'd say £1k tops the most I've ever spent on a gpu is £470 with a game I sold for £30 so £440. It's a 2070 super so plenty capable for majority of gamers.

Anyone spending £10k like I said is off their head.

10K is silly. but so is 1440p in 2021. lolz.

Back
Top Bottom