what does *build stock* mean?

Soldato
OCUK has said on several occasions that components for sale as components are separate from ones for system builds.

It's been said because people decided that OCUK is yoinking scarce retail cards (or cpus) for system builds so OCUK came out to say it wasn't the case.

So that would be a notice on the component choice that even if it says out of stock for buying on its own, they still have stock available for system building.

Soldato
OCUK has said on several occasions that components for sale as components are separate from ones for system builds.

It's been said because people decided that OCUK is yoinking scarce retail cards (or cpus) for system builds so OCUK came out to say it wasn't the case.

So that would be a notice on the component choice that even if it says out of stock for buying on its own, they still have stock available for system building.
I'd imagen a certain amount of cards are delivered and OCUK decides how much to use as build stock I mean I can't see vendors saying you have to use X amount of cards for builds and X for retail. The middlemen who send the cards aren't going to care what they are used for. Makes sense to priorities builds as they are more lucrative especially when supply is short.

Associate
I'd imagen a certain amount of cards are delivered and OCUK decides how much to use as build stock
OCUK (Parts Supplier) and OCUK (Systems Integrator) are seen as two distinct companies with two different agreements with the suppliers.
Contractually they can't sell Build Stock as parts.

Soldato
Presumably OCUK would rather sell entire computers, for the extra profit margin, than a GPU alone so sensibly prioritize any GPUs they receive for PC systems rather than component sales.

Actually just noticed the post above saying they don't do this but I wouldn't blame them if they did as it's clearly a sensible, and an arguably fair, move from a business perspective!

Last edited:
Associate
I don't know if it is the case for OCUK, but I believe that some places get GPUs for builds without retail packaging. I remember reading something about one of the retailers in the states sending out build stock 3080s without retail packaging, and iirc they got in trouble for it

Soldato
I don't know if it is the case for OCUK, but I believe that some places get GPUs for builds without retail packaging. I remember reading something about one of the retailers in the states sending out build stock 3080s without retail packaging, and iirc they got in trouble for it

That's a good point of course in that OEM kit tends not to come with retail packaging to maybe they are by design separate SKU's. I wonder how to number of OEM vs Retail Video cards compares as a percentage. I presume manufacturing priority is likely to be in favour of OEMs if supply is constrained?

Associate
I bought a custom build from OC recently and I received the full retail box for the 3060Ti.
I also think that build stock means you get less choice about the specific model you get. In current GPU scarcity I got the Asus TUF 3060Ti and couldnt be happier

Back
Top Bottom