What watch do you wear?

Man of Honour
Apple Watch Series 5 - 44mm here
Obviously this thread is mostly for ‘proper watches’ but I recently bought an Apple Watch and your comment has prompted me to make a comment about its size... for anyone else in the market.

For general background purposes, the current generations of Apple Watches (series 6). come in two sizes, 40mm or 44mm. Some previous generations have been 38mm and 42mm.

I have 165mm wrists (so really quite skinny) and therefore ordered a 40mm one. 165mm is smack bang in the middle of Apple’s recommended watch size for the 40mm watch, although obviously everyone has a different shaped wrist that will affect how it looks. My wrists are ~6cm on the side where the watch face sits.

Despite otherwise loving the watch, psychologically I was a bit unsure as to whether it looked too small and feminine... and whether I should have ordered the bigger 44mm one.

This in part was prompted by the realisation that the ‘actual watch size’ function on the Apple store on iPhones is way, way, WAY off. The watches are smaller in real life than they appear on the shop app. So I was left thinking... ‘dang... maybe I should have got the bigger one’.

I finally had the opportunity to try on a 42mm version recently (older model) and it put it beyond doubt for me that I had made the right choice with the smaller watch. The 42mm was a little clunky in comparison and like a ‘computer on the wrist’, on my smaller wrists. I can’t imagine how ‘off’ a 44mm one would look! Ultimately I could probably get away with the 42mm but not the 44mm.

There is a lot of posts on the interwebs about watch size on which size to go for and it is ultimately a personal preference, but I think there is a distortion towards people picking the bigger size watch as they either think ‘it’s the man version’ or ‘it’s the bigger screen’... and if you research which watch size to pick, you’ll get loads of people shuffling you towards the larger size for that reason.

So in summary, my advice to everyone is to resist naturally gravitating towards the larger versions and consider the aesthetic as a whole.

Obviously, the strap will also make a difference.

Snaps for a visual comparison (please excuse the large image sizes, surplus background and cat tower):

40mm:
hkWVbWj.jpg
PrzRFPk.jpg

42mm:
qZCHcIn.jpg
CUkNcjy.jpg

A better photo of what I consider to be the better size:
DmEvbrz.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
@Nitefly , I had the same doubts. I purchased the 44mm on Saturday and after getting it home I feel it’s a tad bit too big for my wrist..BUT, I’ll keep it for now and see how it goes. And part exchange it when the next series release for the slightly smaller 40mm series 7 when they’re available.

Man of Honour
@Nitefly , I had the same doubts. I purchased the 44mm on Saturday and after getting it home I feel it’s a tad bit too big for my wrist..BUT, I’ll keep it for now and see how it goes. And part exchange it when the next series release for the slightly smaller 40mm series 7 when they’re available.
I guess the test is “does it look like a watch or a ‘big screen smart watch’?” and then “If it looks like a ‘big screen smart watch’ do I mind / do I like it?”

Only extrapolating from my own experiences as per the above post, and based on my own aesthetic preferences, I think your wrist size would need to be at least 17cm to attempt to pull the 44mm off and ideally >17.5cm (the bigger the better) to avoid it looking too big..... UNLESS you are deliberately opting for that big, super oversized look (which I think would require a fair bit of consideration into your whole aesthetic in general, not just your watch).

Also, have a look how it appears if you hold your hand out and down your arm looking at the watch. If there are big gaps on either side of the watch face then maybe go for a smaller watch face or at least a strap/band that hugs your wrist better / doesn’t jut out.

But really, I’m a random guy on the internet, what do I know! Most people seem to love the ‘big watch’ look even on small wrists *shrug*

Soldato
I’ve a real soft spot for Seikos and have three. Doesn’t matter if I’m looking at Rolexes, Omegas, Citizens or whatever, I still always gravitate towards a Seiko. I bought an Oris a month or so back and that’s the first time in about 18 years I’ve not worn a Seiko!

Man of Honour
Thoughts on Zelos? I see they have a few Horizons in stock and I especially like the Granite version: https://zeloswatches.com/collections/all/products/horizons-200m-field-granite?variant=32249738920025

The price for the specs seems excellent and I've read comments before online about Zelos giving a good showing to much more expensive watches. The owner seems to like heavily applying bright lume to all his watches too.

I'm at two minds now, was about to buy the Stowa Flieger Vintage Bronze 36mm (grail watch for me but of course that comes at a cost premium though it would complete my pilot watch trio) but having seen this and only 100 made...

Last edited:
Soldato
The hydroconquest is out for delivery today :)

Just a little worried about adjusting the rubber strap as I believe you have to cut bits off. That may have an impact on being able to return it if I can't get a comfortable fit.

Man of Honour
Nice to see Breitling have released some watches that don't look like someones been sick all over them. Particularly like the pistachio green dial version.

ZZJqld0.png

Back
Top Bottom