Product to help sort our lawn out?

Soldato
Just painted the fence and took a shot to show someone, then really made me realise the lawn needs attention.

It seems to have patches that are a lot thicker and grow at a faster rate to the rest.

Is there a product out there that you recommend to help solve this? Is it just a case of grass seed or something else?

Thanks in advance ! Picture below
PXL-20210407-104627669.jpg

Man of Honour
If it's a new build it's likely a bare sprinkling of top soil and a load of clay underneath. One option is to dig a few feet of clay out and replace it with proper soil and then get new turf the lawn. It's also worth digging in a soak bed of sand/stones to allow drainage.

Soldato
OP
If it's a new build it's likely a bare sprinkling of top soil and a load of clay underneath. One option is to dig a few feet of clay out and replace it with proper soil and then get new turf the lawn. It's also worth digging in a soak bed of sand/stones to allow drainage.

Definitely a proper job that. Thanks and I do agree, though not the sort of undertaking I'm up for.

We have been here 6ish years and it's only really started to go like this this year.

Would just seed etc not help? Or bit of a waste considering the poor soil

Man of Honour
You could spike the lawn and lay new seed, water it in the evenings and see how it goes. New builds are horrendous for maintaining lawns. I had mine fully done 5 years ago and it's looking quite bad now.

Associate

A few feet of clay? Sounds a lot!

Associate
That'll probably be dog/cat **** causing that.

If you have either, go to pets at home and buy 'dog rocks' - Should help.

Gonna try them Dog Rocks afterlooking into them... have a few burn marks on the dogs side of the garden... usually take him out for a pee but when it's raining he is more of a "slash 'n' dash" kinda pooch so walking then is a no go.

Associate
Well as much as you can go down, there will be builder rubble buried in it no doubt. New builds lawns are always terrible.

Yeah, to get rid of that would help with drainage for sure. I don't know exactly but I imagine grass roots only go down about 100mm at most? So sorting that top layer would be a priority for me.

Caporegime
Looks like different strains of grass.

One is doing well whilst the other isn't.

Let the stuff that is doing well grow long. Really long it will create seeds at one point if you leave it for half a year. Take those seeds and spread them over the rest of the lawn.

Repeat this process until that strain has taken over.

Back
Top Bottom