Tiger Woods - car crash

Associate
He must have known he was going to get shafted when he drove out of bounds. Let us hope he doesn't end up with a club foot. I am sure he will have plenty of drive with a strong grip on life and i am sure he is being treated in a fair way in hospital.

Slow day at work :D

Soldato
Twice? That’s just silly. No wonder the car was so mangled. Lucky to be alive.

Yep 84-87 mph on a 45mph road.

LASD Captain James Powers said: "The car's so-called 'black box' data recorder showed Woods engaged the accelerator and never applied the brake during the incident. That could indicate he may have mistakenly hit the wrong pedal while trying to control the car."

Powers added: "It's believed that when you panic or you have some sort of sudden interruption while you're driving, your initial thought is to hit the brake and it's believed he may have done that but hit the accelerator."

Panic? Does anyone know what car he was driving as to get to 90 mph it takes more then enough time for you to brake. If you dont know how to apply a bloody brake especially when it was likely an auto then please...stop driving.

Soldato
Sounds like S.A.S.H is being bandied about as a possible excuse. Tiger Woods isn't a confused elderly driver going on their weekly 1 mile shopping trip. He was thrashing the car.

Associate
Apparently he hit the accelerator rather than the brake when trying to stop. I have noticed when in the US that people drive automatic cars with 2 feet, 1 on the brake and one on the accelerator. ALways thought it was a bit unusual.

Man of Honour
Apparently he hit the accelerator rather than the brake when trying to stop. I have noticed when in the US that people drive automatic cars with 2 feet, 1 on the brake and one on the accelerator. ALways thought it was a bit unusual.

I have no desire to start an argument, but I’ve been visiting the U.S. once or twice per year since 1976, and have driven in 18 or 19 of the Lower 48, plus Québec and Ontario, and I have no recall of being behind cars on the freeways with their brake lights permanently on.
I’ve never used my left foot to brake when driving an auto, there, or in U.K., I did however, often sit at the lights with my left foot on the footbrake in my Black Cab, with my right foot hovering over the accelerator, ready to take off as close to a scalded cat as the 2.7 Nissan engine would allow, as soon as the lights changed.

Soldato
Well, this is a reminder that having your car black boxed can and will be used against you. Not that it was his personal car but it was black boxed.

Associate

If they do left foot brake, I would have thought that would make it less likely that you could press the wrong pedal by accident.

I have no desire to start an argument, but I’ve been visiting the U.S. once or twice per year since 1976, and have driven in 18 or 19 of the Lower 48, plus Québec and Ontario, and I have no recall of being behind cars on the freeways with their brake lights permanently on.

I assume it didn't mean literally pressing the brake pedal constantly. That would increase fuel consumption and brake wear (and probably wear on a number of other components) massively.

Soldato
Well, this is a reminder that having your car black boxed can and will be used against you. Not that it was his personal car but it was black boxed.
standard ecu functionalioty now recording speed/yaw/steering/pedals for 200ms before air bag/deceleration ... and they're extending to 5s ... discussed in motors.
... and who knows what teslas record

Man of Honour
I seem to recall a recent murder case where one of the major pieces of evidence was the tracking data from the range rover being driven by the murderer. It proved the car was located near the murder scene at the time and had been driven past the victims house the night before, presumably to check out the area. Mine has an "emergency" and a "mechanic" button which will call for help so I assume I'm being tracked too.

The moral of this story is if you want to kill someone then not only leave your phone at home but drive a 20 year old shed to the scene instead of your brand new car.

Man of Honour
If they do left foot brake, I would have thought that would make it less likely that you could press the wrong pedal by accident.

I assume it didn't mean literally pressing the brake pedal constantly. That would increase fuel consumption and brake wear (and probably wear on a number of other components) massively.

Fair enough R.P.L., but how would we know that the guy who said that Americans drive with the left foot on the brake actually meant that some of them may drive with their left foot hovering near the brake pedal?
He said that they drive with one foot on the brake, if this was true, then their brake lights WOULD be on, and their fuel consumption would be extremely high, as you quite rightly pointed out.

Back
Top Bottom