Idiotic conversations on Discord

Soldato
Mods only entry. :p
Just acme then? :D

I'm on a couple of Discord servers, one is related to a Twitch channel but it's grown into quite a friendly community over time. Yes there are lots of memes and GIFs and pictures of food... That's what internet chat is now. In the 2000s we had emoticons and the 2010s we had memes... Now all that stuff is built right into the software. It's fun, it doesn't stop you having a real discussion.

I do think that the ones I use are better for being somewhat smaller though. I had a look at one related to this forum and it was just too big, too many channels, I'd never keep up. It's distracting enough having group IM again!

Caporegime
I use Discord in a few ways. I have my own server which I chat with a few people on, IRL friends, internet friends, and people from OcUK.

I am in a few Twitch streamer Discord servers, most of them I only use for stream notifications and to continue conversations after streams end, maybe post pictures or share files while chatting in Twitch with other chat members or the streamer.

But there is one which I post in more than others, because I get along really well with the community and the streamer.

Occasionally we do watch parties, loads of people on a server watching a TV show or a movie together.

And I use it as my primary voice/video call program to keep in touch with friends.

Soldato
Discords are no worse than forums.

They need moderation and a meaningful purpose or they're just garbage.

There isn't a lower population limit but if a discord gets a big enough population it becomes necessary to cripple most peoples ability to talk because it simply sucks to have thousands of people typing on one screen.

Caporegime
Presumably the ones he's noticed are using the same name... :p

But hey now we know you're on there with a different name :D
I've always used a different name on every forum/place I visit. Well, mostly.

But then when I started using the 'net being anon was the norm. It's only recently with Facebook et al that people seem to want to use their real names. Personally I don't like that idea. Don't even like using the same name across forums :p

Caporegime
I've always used a different name on every forum/place I visit. Well, mostly.

But then when I started using the 'net being anon was the norm. It's only recently with Facebook et al that people seem to want to use their real names. Personally I don't like that idea. Don't even like using the same name across forums :p

I'm acme in most places. Except Pr0nhub. You have to do some serious guessing if you want to find me there. :cry::p

Man of Honour
I joined a discord for buying computer parts and whilst most people are decent there is a tendency for spamming reaction memes and non-sensical chat that can be a bit grating but ultimately needs to be ‘tolerated’.

Capodecina
Soldato
OP
I joined a discord for buying computer parts and whilst most people are decent there is a tendency for spamming reaction memes and non-sensical chat that can be a bit grating but ultimately needs to be ‘tolerated’.

I've taken myself off Discord. All of the servers I joined are moronic. I can't find one which has any kind of mature or intellectual user base.

Man of Honour
I've taken myself off Discord. All of the servers I joined are moronic. I can't find one which has any kind of mature or intellectual user base.
I think it does require a bit of input though. When I’ve made the effort to instigate decent conversation, it has happened quiet readily.

Permabanned
I've recently joined a few servers on Discord and I'm rather depressed at the quality of conversation. The level of chat is pretty much consistently poor and infantile - clichéd comments and hackneyed colloquialisms, 1,000 different types of emoticons, gifs, memes and 'funny' videos. I don't think I've even smiled once.

It doesn't matter which server I go to, they're pretty much all the same. Is it all like this or have I just joined the wrong places? Is there an intellectual hive of proper discussion going on somewhere there that I've missed? Does the technology encourage this type of communication?

Come join Acme's server, it's very professional and lots of intelligent IQ 190's in here to discuss over a tea party.

Back
Top Bottom