Council tax

Associate
yfFiZSI.jpg

+£65 a year for garden waste, unless you fancy driving to the tip :p
ABmJUYd

Soldato
What does the bin charge entail?

It's a slippery slope if councils start reducing frequency of services, or charging outside of council tax for bin collections. It'll just encourage more people to fly tip, or dump waste in public bins.

Indeed but them in charge have zero planing ability and zilch foresight unfortunately.

Soldato
Oh i would imagine once services start stretching that might be a core service that either severely reduces in frequency (resulting in the same problems i mentioned), or removed entirely.

I'm not sure what the rules are about frequency of collection but normal household waste collection can't be charged for and the service can't be removed. Councils have a legal duty under the Environmental Protection Act:
"No charge shall be made for the collection of household waste except in cases prescribed in regulations made by the Secretary of State"

Those exceptions are:
  • Household waste that is generated from certain non-domestic properties, such as universities, hospitals and prisons
  • Waste that weighs more than 25kg or that cannot fit into the bin provided
  • Asbestos
  • Garden waste

Soldato
We've just moved and I have no idea how much our council tax will be. Our property is in the highest bracket based on price, but it's a 3 bed semi...not exactly high value or special in the depths of Surrey. I'm not looking forward to the council finally getting back to me.

Looking at it again, I've no idea how they value a house to the price in 1991! Surely it would make more sense to apply inflation and the increase in house prices to that information so people can actually work out what their council tax is?!

Soldato
I'm not sure what the rules are about frequency of collection but normal household waste collection can't be charged for and the service can't be removed. Councils have a legal duty under the Environmental Protection Act:
"No charge shall be made for the collection of household waste except in cases prescribed in regulations made by the Secretary of State"

Those exceptions are:
  • Household waste that is generated from certain non-domestic properties, such as universities, hospitals and prisons
  • Waste that weighs more than 25kg or that cannot fit into the bin provided
  • Asbestos
  • Garden waste

Seems a little vague really, whilst they can't "charge you for collection of household waste", it's pretty obvious that a part of your council tax goes towards funding that. With no mention in the rules about frequency, that can give the council powers to stretch it. For some time many councils have been discussing/looking at reducing frequency so general waste is only picked up every 3-4 weeks.

The argument about bins smelling should be moot because things like food waste should go in a separate bin that should be collected more frequently. Our council has skinny wheelie bins for general waste, and although there's only 2 of us and a dog, we probably only fill the general waste bin to maybe 60-70% a fortnight. So we could do a stretch to 3 weeks without too many problems. If there was a proposal to stretch it to monthly pickups, then they'd need to be providing bigger bins.

Caporegime
We've just moved and I have no idea how much our council tax will be. Our property is in the highest bracket based on price, but it's a 3 bed semi...not exactly high value or special in the depths of Surrey. I'm not looking forward to the council finally getting back to me.

Looking at it again, I've no idea how they value a house to the price in 1991! Surely it would make more sense to apply inflation and the increase in house prices to that information so people can actually work out what their council tax is?!

You can just search it on government website?
Unless it's a new build maybe?

Soldato

As you say, they don't take the current price into account, so whilst you might be currently in the highest bracket, for a 3 bed semi, you're probably more middle of the scale C/D.

Have you checked your council website? Most councils i've lived in have had a postcode checker you can pop your details in and it'll tell you what band your property is.

Caporegime

Unless it's a new house which hasn't been banded yet you should find your band here: Check your Council Tax band

Permabanned
Seems a little vague really, whilst they can't "charge you for collection of household waste", it's pretty obvious that a part of your council tax goes towards funding that. With no mention in the rules about frequency, that can give the council powers to stretch it. For some time many councils have been discussing/looking at reducing frequency so general waste is only picked up every 3-4 weeks.

The argument about bins smelling should be moot because things like food waste should go in a separate bin that should be collected more frequently. Our council has skinny wheelie bins for general waste, and although there's only 2 of us and a dog, we probably only fill the general waste bin to maybe 60-70% a fortnight. So we could do a stretch to 3 weeks without too many problems. If there was a proposal to stretch it to monthly pickups, then they'd need to be providing bigger bins.

Family of 4, our recycle bin and general waste bin are pretty much always full on a two week collection cycle.

Food waste goes in the garden waste bin and wont be collected now unless we pay extra, so we either sign up for the extra tax or just put it in the general waste bin.

Soldato
You can just search it on government website?
Unless it's a new build maybe?

As you say, they don't take the current price into account, so whilst you might be currently in the highest bracket, for a 3 bed semi, you're probably more middle of the scale C/D.

Have you checked your council website? Most councils i've lived in have had a postcode checker you can pop your details in and it'll tell you what band your property is.

Unless it's a new house which hasn't been banded yet you should find your band here: Check your Council Tax band

New build unfortunately. I found a couple of neighbours and they're registering as E/F, but I think one of those houses is larger than ours - the F. But the E I believe is a 2 bed, so it looks like our council tax has just gone up £500 a year!!

Soldato
if your in a min wage job, live in a council house and arnt getting any pay rises then im guessing youd just be better of on the dole. no council tax / no dentist bills / no pharmacy bills / no problem

every year along with council tax its everything else going up, electric / gas / virgin media put the bill up almost £2.50 every other month it seems. also in the north west united utilities wack there price up every year

Caporegime
Durham CC here.

Police is only 6.8% and overall its 3.3%

So glad I am only in band B since its based on 1991 prices despite the fact I live in a 4 bedroom detached house with 6 acres of land and worth around £600k. :)

Back
Top Bottom